Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,481,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's silly. Santa Cruz beach is full of swimmers in the summer. Someone explained that because the bay is so shallow, the sun is able to warm the water. idk, but I have no problem swimming there, nor at the beach in San Fran.
People wading up to their knees in water isn't "swimming" to me. SF Bay is shallow but I don't think Monterey Bay is that shallow at all, it's fairly open to the ocean. I don't really get why some people on here try so hard to try to pretend that the water is warm enough to swim in for most people or remotely similar to SoCal when it comes to the beach scene. You clearly haven't spent much time in Southern CA at all. How much time during a year do you even spend in Nor Cal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:34 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,163,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
People wading up to their knees in water isn't "swimming" to me. SF Bay is shallow but I don't think Monterey Bay is that shallow at all, it's fairly open to the ocean. I don't really get why some people on here try so hard to try to pretend that the water is warm enough to swim in for most people or remotely similar to SoCal when it comes to the beach scene. You clearly haven't spent much time in Southern CA at all. How much time during a year do you even spend in Nor Cal?
I'm going by other people's posts on previous threads, as well as my own experience. You must have missed those exchanges. Sorry the water's too cold for you. Oh well, more for me, as they say.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:38 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,114,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Great lifestyle for alcoholics and people who can't cook. FYI, those kind of outings are possible just about anywhere in the US but it's just different in different parts of the cou try. Are you suggesting that LA lacks options for good day trips? Do you think Santa Barbara area doesn't have good wineries? Or are you only happy when stuck in the middle of a tourist trap?

So cal has all of those with good weather, lower cost and much nicer people in general.
I never said anything negative about LA, except for your taste in baseball teamsmod cut. I really doubt your location of SF, given your take on things. If you think the only people who appreciate Wine Country are alcoholics and those who can't cook, yours is a sad, narrow existence.

Santa Barbara is nice. I've been there. It's a day trip, for sure. I can get it in one or two trips. I've lived in SF for almost two years now, though, and have been to Sonoma Valley, Napa Valley, and Russian River Valley seven times now. I discover something new each time. Sure, there are tourist traps, but I am experienced enough to avoid them. Plus, its not one town here--there's Napa, Sonoma, Healdsberg, St. Helena, Calistoga, Yountville, Glen Ellen, Kenwood, Petaluma... Each has its own personality. Its own soul. This is my first time in St. Helena for any real time. I am knocked out by the quaintness and sophistication of this small, simple town. I can't wait to explore more.

When evaluating the merits of each place in question, you may want to take a step back and evaluate the comments made, to judge credibility. People touting the benefits of the Bay Area have stated positives about it and remarked about how much they love it, while saying that Southern California is a nice place too. You, on the other hand, have mod cutused a lot of over-the-top exaggeration to forward your points.

mod cut which would you believe?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-26-2013 at 04:31 PM..

Old 05-26-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I've lived in SF for almost two years now, though, and have been to Sonoma Valley, Napa Valley, and Russian River Valley seven times now. I discover something new each time. Sure, there are tourist traps, but I am experienced enough to avoid them. Plus, its not one town here--there's Napa, Sonoma, Healdsberg, St. Helena, Calistoga, Yountville, Glen Ellen, Kenwood, Petaluma... Each has its own personality. Its own soul. This is my first time in St. Helena for any real time. I am knocked out by the quaintness and sophistication of this small, simple town. I can't wait to explore more.
Jeez, you sold me, dal! I need to spend more time exploring the greater Bay Area. I used to visit relatives in St. Helena, but I don't remember much about it. We didn't spend any time in town.

I love Santa Barbara!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:30 AM

16,573 posts, read 27,289,271 times
Quote:
Andy, your attitude is sour enough to turn Tinkerbell and Snow White against you. Our weather suits us, your welcome to the SoCal weather. Win-win. The End.
Andy only comes around when the weather gets cool like it is now. We have months of dry warm weather in the Bay Area which is why you never saw him. Wait till the marine layer really starts to return. He's a real treat then.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Oh it's not at all. Monterey has a very deep trench. This attracts seabirds that normally don't come within 40 miles of shore. You can stand on the beach and watch them. I think it may simply be called the Monterey Trench and cold water up-wells from it's depths.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I'm going by other people's posts on previous threads, as well as my own experience. You must have missed those exchanges. Sorry the water's too cold for you. Oh well, more for me, as they say.
Ruth what he's saying is true. The SoCal beaches are completely different than the beaches in Norcal. I've swam at Point Reyes, Stinson Beach, Ocean Beach in San Francisco, Ocean Beach in San Diego, Mission Beach in San Diego, La Jolla Shores in San Diego and Huntington State Beach in Orange County. The water in Norcal is too cold for most people.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ruth what he's saying is true. The SoCal beaches are completely different than the beaches in Norcal. I've swam at Point Reyes, Stinson Beach, Ocean Beach in San Francisco, Ocean Beach in San Diego, Mission Beach in San Diego, La Jolla Shores in San Diego and Huntington State Beach in Orange County. The water in Norcal is too cold for most people.
Somebody missed my earlier post where I acknowledged the temps were different, and said it's not water you can loll around in, like in SD. But you can still enjoy the water, swim a bit to cool off on a hot day (or splash around, for less hardy souls), and totally enjoy the beach. Maybe you and I should form a Polar Bear club, for people who can handle swimming in NorCal waters. btw, isn't there a tricky undertow at Stinson? Maybe not as long as you don't go too far out...

Old 05-26-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Somebody missed my earlier post where I acknowledged the temps were different, and said it's not water you can loll around in, like in SD. But you can still enjoy the water, swim a bit to cool off on a hot day (or splash around, for less hardy souls), and totally enjoy the beach. Maybe you and I should form a Polar Bear club, for people who can handle swimming in NorCal waters. btw, isn't there a tricky undertow at Stinson? Maybe not as long as you don't go too far out...
perhaps I did miss that. There's a tricky undertow at all of the beaches up here. It comes with having larger waves. 6 feet is a large wave in SD but average in SF. The water here pulls back VERY quickly. The trick is to ride the wave as close back to shore as you can. If you stop where it's waste or chest deep, the undertow will rip you from where you're standing and you'll be at the mercy of it.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:43 AM

87 posts, read 96,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
SF is not even the most cosmoplitan part of bay area, let alone CA or the world. South bay is a lot more international. Compared to LA, SF is a provincial town overloaded with yuppies and hipsters and few good chinese restaurants to brag about.
L.A is a nice place to visit every now and again, S.F is the city you visit and never want to leave. PERIOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California