Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 11:44 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Norcal has the following cons compared to socal.
1. Horrible, frigid, foggy weather in the coast and SF all year long. There is no point of going to the beach here.
2. Infrastructure outdated and road system inadequate to handle the traffic
3. Rude, unfriendly people in SF, Berkeley, Oakland area. People in south bay are nicer.
4. Way underserved in terms retail, grocery and services resulting in long lines everywhere
5. Serious lack of fancy and nice ambiance in restaurants/ bars in SF. Even expensive places look like dives, cramped and dingy.
6. Rude restaurant service
7. VERY EXPENSIVE
8. Everything shuts down early. SF is a ghosttown after dark except a handful areas.
Ruth does this sound familiar from the other forum we frequent? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Comic relief. Geez, lighten up!

1. Horrible, frigid, foggy weather in the coast and SF all year long. There is no point of going to the beach here.
3. Rude, unfriendly people in SF, Berkeley, Oakland area. People in south bay are nicer.
4. Way underserved in terms retail, grocery and services resulting in long lines everywhere
5. Serious lack of fancy and nice ambiance in restaurants/ bars in SF. Even expensive places look like dives, cramped and dingy.
7. VERY EXPENSIVE
8. Everything shuts down early. SF is a ghosttown after dark except a handful areas.

Here's someone who missed out on the great restaurants and bars in SF (not to mention the East and North Bay), didn't know where the nightlife was, apparently offended a lot of people in SF, Berkeley and Oakland, and didn't bother to try the public transit, dooming himself to getting stuck in traffic. Though I must say, I've driven around the East Bay a bit, and didn't run into the horrific traffic CA expats gave me dire warnings about. Everything moved smoothly. And just for the record, I love the beaches!

And yet another person who doesn't understand that without the summer fog, the temps would be in the triple digits or close to it. Thanks, but we prefer the fog. Feel free to migrate back down to LA, and roast, andyadhi.
He's from Texas so he likes having hell's furnace on earth.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Too late. We already had a long discussion about the water in Santa Cruz bay on another thread. It was unanimously voted warmest in NorCal. In fact, it was highly recommended precisely for that reason.
Maybe but warmest in Norcal doesn't make it warm. Trust me, I grew up going to the beaches in Norcal and got spoiled by the water in San Diego.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:18 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times
Quote:
Read the other posts on this thread. There's a certain amount of agreement re: Nor and So differ widely. Don't be so uptight about spelling jokes.

Jokes...that was a joke? Please stop doing jokes then.

Yea, they differ widely. If you compare just about any two spots 400 miles away, there is going to be a difference. I enjoy both areas and it really depends on the person on which is better.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Maybe but warmest in Norcal doesn't make it warm. Trust me, I grew up going to the beaches in Norcal and got spoiled by the water in San Diego.
I trust you. I'm just saying that Santa Cruz isn't bad, unless you plan to do long-distance swimming or spend hours surfing in it, and even SF ocean temps can be very refreshing on a hot day. Just the ticket, in fact. You may not be able to spend 1/2 hour lolling in the water, like you might in SD, but it's still a functional beach and surf for cooling off. Haven't you lived in Seattle? Now there's some frigid water! Everything is relative.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:34 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
I trust you. I'm just saying that Santa Cruz isn't bad, unless you plan to do long-distance swimming or spend hours surfing in it, and even SF ocean temps can be very refreshing on a hot day. Just the ticket, in fact. You may not be able to spend 1/2 hour lolling in the water, like you might in SD, but it's still a functional beach and surf for cooling off. Haven't you lived in Seattle? Now there's some frigid water! Everything is relative.
Yes the algae filled, agricultural run off rich and oil refinery/port pollution soaked green water on SF coast in which you can freeze to death must be the definition of refreshing! Santa Cruz is better but still very cold. And the SF beaches with mountain of dog poo is oh so refreshing to have your little outing.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
When I was a kid, I would spend about a half hour in the water at OB in SF. Then get out to thermo-regulate in the sun then go back and repeat this process until whomever I was with became hypothermic. I'm not kidding, they would shiver like I've never seen anyone shiver. I have a high tolerance for cold.

I saw a couple of people swimming once at Discovery Park. I decided to take my shoes off and wade in. Without any control on my part, my body made a U turn for me and got the hell out of that water!

Old 05-25-2013, 02:27 PM

6,898 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
7. VERY EXPENSIVE
SACRAMENTO=NOR*CAL
Antithesis to San Francisco’s con’s.

1. Awesomely, wonderfully, sunny, and warm in the spring, summer, fall. About 2 weeks of 95 plus degree days nothing A/C can’t handle. Great weather to enjoy our mountain snow-fed beaches and waterways on Sacramento and American Rivers, or Folsom and Nimbus Lakes. Great weather to have pool and backyard parties.

2. Infrastructure is fine, alot less to maintain, traffic is a piece of cake 98% of the time.

3. Friendly, down to earth folks, humble - first to make fun of ourselves.

4. Over served in terms of grocers and retail. Short lines. Many farmers markets throughout the city and region.

5.Farm to Fork Capitol: Lots of small organic farms in the Sacramento region allow great restaurants with low overhead. High end courses and menus for half SF’s cost. Alot of our restaurants have beautiful outdoor patios/spaces to take advantage of the Sun and warmth shaded with big trees. Wine choices are top notch and inexpensive. Sacramento is surrounded by first class grape growing regions: Napa, Amador, Sonoma, San Joaquin.

6. Friendly service - younger folks can live here cheaply no need to be rude.

7. Everything costs less in Sacramento compared to SF. Less than half the cost to remodel Victorian or Craftsman style structures and make restaurants, wine bars, breweries, bistros, yoga places, law offices, design studios, you name it.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Yes the algae filled, agricultural run off rich and oil refinery/port pollution soaked green water on SF coast in which you can freeze to death must be the definition of refreshing! Santa Cruz is better but still very cold. And the SF beaches with mountain of dog poo is oh so refreshing to have your little outing.
Wow, you've really been to the wrong beaches. I've never seen anything like this. Strange how you have a knack for finding nothing but the negative in people, beaches, etc. I guess it's a good thing you moved away.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
When I was a kid, I would spend about a half hour in the water at OB in SF. Then get out to thermo-regulate in the sun then go back and repeat this process until whomever I was with became hypothermic. I'm not kidding, they would shiver like I've never seen anyone shiver. I have a high tolerance for cold.

I saw a couple of people swimming once at Discovery Park. I decided to take my shoes off and wade in. Without any control on my part, my body made a U turn for me and got the hell out of that water!
I went to a summer camp in WA, so we had no choice but to adapt to the water temps. I eventually got so I could do a mile-and-1/4 distance challenge. We'd always thaw ourselves out in hot showers afterwards. The only people who could do the challenge were women, though, due to extra insulation their bodies naturally provide. After that, I've been able to handle anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California