Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,482 times

Advertisements

WTH? I mean it would look like Baja California I guess... Tijuana would be a representative city.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 AM

604 posts, read 1,301,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
By the same token, those U.S. Californians left wouldn't likely be flying and waving the stars and stripes in someone else's country either.
I think they'd be getting their Rebel on, actually.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Not sure I understand your response curm.
He's referring to the folks that like to wave the Mexican flag here in the USA. You see it a lot during sporting events, Mexican holidays (like Cinco De Mayo), immigration debates, and sometimes just randomly.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
He's referring to the folks that like to wave the Mexican flag here in the USA. You see it a lot during sporting events, Mexican holidays (like Cinco De Mayo), immigration debates, and sometimes just randomly.
Figured that may have been it but I wanted to be sure before responding. What Many Americans should realize is that them waving their flag isn't necessarily for the same reasons Americans do so. On the other hand, both you and Curmudgeon also have a point. I know if I ever moved to Canada, Germany etc. I would go waving the stars and stripes around.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Never going to happen. This is just the fantasy of the radical MEChA, La Raza, Atzlan crazies.

Quote:
Quote:
Many of us just happen to be quite versed in this history, which is why all this talk about returning territory that is now firmly American to Mexico is nonsense that has no legal or historical validity.

Quote:
Quote:
From the Spanish settlement of California in 1769 by the Portola/Serra expedition until Mexican independence from Spain in 1821 with the signing of the Treaty of Cordoba, 52 years of indifferent Spanish governing of California ended. From 1821 until the signing of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848, which ceded California and large parts of the Southwest to the USA is only 27 years in which California was part of Mexico. Mexico was compensated $15 million, a huge sum at that time, for these lands. From 1848 until 2013 is 165 years of US possession. Who thus has the more valid claim, Spain, Mexico, or the United States?
Mexico

Spain shouldn't have California because of a internal war of Indep from Spain by Mexican

America shouldn't have ownership because of the U.S. Army invasion of a soveign nation , now on
the other hand if Anglo living in the Mexican Territory would have over thrown the Mexican gov in
California , that would be totally different as far as I'm concerned ( a internal war of Indep.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Correct! It's a matter of respect for your home/adopted country. That's purely my opinion as one who has lived in three other countries.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM

my previous post which I can't edit now should have said "would not"

Old 05-07-2013, 01:34 PM

I didn't want to jump in on the "who does California belong to" thing because I think it's ridiculous, but I can't help myself. It belongs to the United States of America. Finished, done, seal it in red white and blue. I don't give a rat's ass who has "historical claim" to it. That means nothing in the world of International Relations. The only thing that matters in that arena is power. Who has won the land, and who maintains the land through power is the country that has the rightful stake to it, period.

If we are going to use any other justification, might as well give most of Europe to the Italians, most of Asia to the Mongols, and the USA back to the Native Americans.

If Mexico (or heck any other country for that matter) wants California, feel free to invade and try to take it by force.

Justice in the realm of international politics is won through might.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
my previous post which I can't edit now should have said "would not"
I personally don't have a problem with folks waving foreign flags on US soil in certain situations. An international sporting event would be one. It's not just Mexican folks who do it, I see flags flying from various foreign countries, even when they are playing the USA. So that's not an issue to me. Foreign holidays are another. Cinco De Mayo, Mexican flags, I get it.

That being said, I do take umbrage with the folks (and I'll admit it there's not many) that hang the flags of foreign countries on their homes or their cars year round. That I think crosses into disrespect for your current host nation.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I personally don't have a problem with folks waving foreign flags on US soil in certain situations. An international sporting event would be one. It's not just Mexican folks who do it, I see flags flying from various foreign countries, even when they are playing the USA. So that's not an issue to me. Foreign holidays are another. Cinco De Mayo, Mexican flags, I get it.

That being said, I do take umbrage with the folks (and I'll admit it there's not many) that hang the flags of foreign countries on their homes or their cars year round. That I think crosses into disrespect for your current host nation.
That's what Curmudgeon was talking about. In CA, you will see Mexican flags in some areas more than the American one at any given time.

This topic reminds me of when I lived in Chula Vista. There were three flags flown on my block; an American flag, a Mexican flag and a Confederate flag LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California