Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 05:11 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Well you should. The U.S. has lost in excess of $460 Billion to Chinese espionage.
I doubt that many of the Asian kids there are Chinese nationals. How do you even know there are any there? Please provide stats on citizenship of the student body.

According to those from my alma mater, only 9% of undergrads are from outside the U.S.:

http://opa.berkeley.edu/statistics/U...ateProfile.pdf

Last edited by CAVA1990; 05-08-2013 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,015 times
Quote:
Well you should. The U.S. has lost in excess of $460 Billion to Chinese espionage.
Ouch.

I know the Chinese are enthusiastic counterfeiters- does this overlap with espionage?

If not, I guess the the profits USA business entities have lost to Chinese counterfeiting is another staggering figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I doubt that many of the Asian kids there are Chinese nationals. How do you even know there are any there? Please provide stats on citizenship of the student body.

According to the stats from my alma mater, only 9% of undergrads are from outside the U.S.:

http://opa.berkeley.edu/statistics/U...ateProfile.pdf
Dueling stats! My fave city-data staple, to be sure, which always has the same trigger- someone made a politically-incorrect post and someone else got politically-correct undies in a twist because of it.

Politically-incorrect comment = demand for stats/studies/evidence/proof/etc. + likely personal attacks
Politically-correct comment = people passively agree with you and friend-request you

Back on topic...

OP,

Have you found any answers to your questions from the UC or CSU systems (themselves)?

We all know their budgets have been shrinking and their tuitions and other student-paid expenses have been growing.

Despite that, my biggest concern continues to be class availability and a student's likelihood to complete the program inside of 4 years.

Any feedback?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Well maybe those of said origin should be made to wear a patch, and we should forbid them from owning businesses and take away their degrees. Heck, why we're at, maybe we can strip US citizenship from anyone not Anglo-Saxon.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Dueling stats! My fave city-data staple, to be sure, which always has the same trigger- someone made a politically-incorrect post and someone else got politically-correct undies in a twist because of it.

Politically-incorrect comment = demand for stats/studies/evidence/proof/etc. + likely personal attacks
Politically-correct comment = people passively agree with you and friend-request you
Has nothing to do with politics. I just don't like incorrect assertions about my school.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:30 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
I doubt that many of the Asian kids there are Chinese nationals. How do you even know there are any there?
Are you kidding?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Well maybe those of said origin should be made to wear a patch, and we should forbid them from owning businesses and take away their degrees. Heck, why we're at, maybe we can strip US citizenship from anyone not Anglo-Saxon.
See sjnative's previous post. But nevertheless, thanks for irrelevant hyperbolic race-victimization, which really adds a wealth of perspective to the discussion. I'm on the defensive now....oh no...whatever shall i do...well played sir or madam...

Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,792 times
For how many years have we been told that we won't have the same career throughout our working lives? How many times have we're been told that we would have to keep updating our career skills and be prepared to have new ones? The CA public unis, which have existed for decades due to taxes paid by it's citizens, can no longer provide services to all its taxpayers. At the time when they're going to be most needed, in order to upgrade skills and help with career changes, now they're saying so sorry, but no room for you. If Californians aren't outraged at how their money has been spent, or misspent, with billions going out for ever increasing administrative and capital asset outlays, which no longer provide the education most needed by the citizenry, then why keep them open? What's the point? What is their role anymore, simply to provide a salary and pension for their functionaries. Amazing, simply amazing, the apathy of most USAAmericans...

Old 05-09-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
For how many years have we been told that we won't have the same career throughout our working lives? How many times have we're been told that we would have to keep updating our career skills and be prepared to have new ones? The CA public unis, which have existed for decades due to taxes paid by it's citizens, can no longer provide services to all its taxpayers. At the time when they're going to be most needed, in order to upgrade skills and help with career changes, now they're saying so sorry, but no room for you. If Californians aren't outraged at how their money has been spent, or misspent, with billions going out for ever increasing administrative and capital asset outlays, which no longer provide the education most needed by the citizenry, then why keep them open? What's the point? What is their role anymore, simply to provide a salary and pension for their functionaries. Amazing, simply amazing, the apathy of most USAAmericans...
There are plenty of other options, including on-line. The UCs and CSUs also offer extension amd certificate programs. I honestly don't see what benefit a second bachelors degree would provide anyone. When I wanted to upgrade my education in a different area than my bachelors I went to grad school. I never considered going back for a second bachelors in a different field. Who would want to have to take all those general courses again?

I've never heard this issue debated before so it must not be of much concern to the general population.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Are you kidding?
News flash - most Asian people you see aren't Chinese nationals. Believe it or not there are Asian Americans, Koreans, Southeast Asians, and others who pursue higher education. I would be interested if you have any statistics.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:32 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,792 times
Quote:
There are plenty of other options, including on-line. The UCs and CSUs also offer extension amd certificate programs. I honestly don't see what benefit a second bachelors degree would provide anyone. When I wanted to upgrade my education in a different area than my bachelors I went to grad school. I never considered going back for a second bachelors in a different field. Who would want to have to take all those general courses again?

I've never heard this issue debated before so it must not be of much concern to the general population.
So policy should be based on what you think is beneficial? If I see it as such, then it should be instituted, based on your thinking. I suggest you become quite a bit less self centered, this isn't about you, it is what's best for the people who pay the bills.

I don't like making this about me, but I changed my career when I went back and received a BS in Engineering Physics, and then became a hs teacher. Prior to that, I had been an accountant. Getting a grad degree would have served no purpose. And who are you to say that a public institution, which my parents and I have paid for, and did so for decades, shouldn't be of serve the people who paid for the damn thing? And just because you haven't heard this argument doesn't make it irrelevant. Again, this isn't about your narrow perceptions nor limited experiences. It's about the people having the right to use their tax paid state institutions for their benefit, not that of a university functionary nor foreign students who can't get into their publicly funded institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California