Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 03:00 AM

162 posts, read 319,026 times

Advertisements

I did ask a couple questions before but I have a few more direct ones if anyone can answer.

I was wondering if the State of Cali. would hassle me if I am in Ca. part time 4-8 months a year with out of state plates on my Rv while I'm out there?

I will for the most part use RV parks, but I may camp at the beach or a park also.

Also, are there friendlier areas for RV travelers?

Do any beaches have RV spots with hookups?

Are there restrictions on length, pets etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 07:06 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGS View Post
I did ask a couple questions before but I have a few more direct ones if anyone can answer.

I was wondering if the State of Cali. would hassle me if I am in Ca. part time 4-8 months a year with out of state plates on my Rv while I'm out there? ... I will for the most part use RV parks, but I may camp at the beach or a park also.
Nope. The state of California is happy to have out-of-stater's spend money in the state. They only care if you earn money out-of-state while not paying taxes if you maintain a permanent mailing address and registration to vote in state, or otherwise take state benefits.
Quote:
RVer's all over who use RV parks tend to be at least superficially friendly toward one another, as long as their rigs are reasonably ship-shape. There are a few boondocking areas that are traditional RV camps as well, where snow-birds set up for months and months on end. In some, at least theoretically, people are required to pack up and drive around in a circle for five minutes or so and re-park / set up in a slightly different parking spot.
Quote:
Yes. Lots of places. Unfortunately, big, ugly RV's set up in prime tranquil nature venues and run their noisy freakin' generators and TeeVee's and stereos -- which they sometimes even set up outside their rigs so that everyone around them can enjoy the party. Reservations are available (on-line) and you won't get a space at any beachfront sites where there are hook-ups during the nicer parts of the years -- or even on winter weekends, most places -- without very long-in-advance reservations ... many months. There are a few exceptions to sorta beachfront RV spots that are available on short-term (mostly just one night) temporary parking areas. These are "dry-camp" over-flow / traveler's areas along a few highways. These also get crowded and are on "first come / first take" basis ... you can't reserve or rely on getting a spot.
Quote:
There are length restrictions in parks where roads and spaces aren't large enough to accommodate some of the Queen-Mary-sized rolling McMansions that people drive so they can bring every imaginable kind of superficial materialism from the city out into the simplicity of nature.

Almost all campgrounds -- virtually all RV campgrounds -- allow pets on leashes. Some specify a limit of two dogs.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:23 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
I heard Null is getting a 30 ft RV

Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I heard Null is getting a 30 ft RV
I was too cranky? My bad.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,680 times
Quote:
I
I was wondering if the State of Cali. would hassle me if I am in Ca. part time 4-8 months a year with out of state plates on my Rv while I'm out there?
No, unless you paint your RV as a hippie rainbow bus and head for Marin county...

Last edited by alexxiz; 05-18-2013 at 03:43 PM..

Old 05-18-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:

I will for the most part use RV parks, but I may camp at the beach or a park also.

In general, you should get one of the "California camping" or "California RV camping" guides and go from there....they have detailed sort of info on each park and camp.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
You know that RV State parks cost, right? Anywhere from $17 to $65 per night, with # of days limited?

Old 05-18-2013, 08:27 PM

162 posts, read 319,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You know that RV State parks cost, right? Anywhere from $17 to $65 per night, with # of days limited?

Yes, I am aware that there will be charges almost everywhere. I'm not trying to be a bum. Just downsizing some and trying to enjoy myself before my disability takes over and I can no longer have a life...

Old 05-19-2013, 10:55 AM

Nothing is wrong with being a camping bum, you don't have to try to be apologetic... you can find fine places to boondock without paying rip off fees to state parks or camp in cheap national forest camps. The camping guide books will tell you if each campground is rv-accessible and what's the max length for each.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Quote:
Yes, I am aware that there will be charges almost everywhere. I'm not trying to be a bum. Just downsizing some and trying to enjoy myself before my disability takes over and I can no longer have a life...

Then do the Northern Ca/Oregon Coast. The farther north the more freedom when RVing and more choices too. Also far less expensive. You could literally spend years along the far nothern coast or California up into Oregon and then east a bit in both states and never spend a night in the same place twice. Beautiful country, RV friendly.

Anywhere you go, most Ca State parks are 36' or less in many places if you want something more than a parking lot. Do the areas I mentioned for the good weather times and in the late fall/winter head south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California