Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 13,358 times

Advertisements

I realize this thread is a decade old, wondering if anyone still subscribes to it. Curious to know what the current state of the Palmdale/Lancaster area growth is like.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 04:22 PM

478 posts, read 690,907 times
I'm actually curious as well. I believe Bakersfield seems to be actually more desireable than the Palmdale/Lancaster area.

I would think Bakersfield, Palmdale/Lancaster are for those looking to have lower cost of living than the LA area. But that brings me back to why Palmdale/Lancaster isn't more talked about and desired than Bakersfield. Palmdale/Lancaster is much closer. True bakersfield is bigger as a whole, but lancaster and palmdale combined is about the same population ~360K

Old 03-28-2017, 04:58 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
I'm actually curious as well. I believe Bakersfield seems to be actually more desireable than the Palmdale/Lancaster area.

I would think Bakersfield, Palmdale/Lancaster are for those looking to have lower cost of living than the LA area. But that brings me back to why Palmdale/Lancaster isn't more talked about and desired than Bakersfield. Palmdale/Lancaster is much closer. True bakersfield is bigger as a whole, but lancaster and palmdale combined is about the same population ~360K
I know a company who is selling lots by the thousand acres in that area. their selling point is the only part of LA County not developed yet is Lancaster/Palmdale so the next development is this area, as if LA is an island and its not surrounded by other counties.

selling points like the hi speed train will have station there, LAX will transfer there etc

Old 03-28-2017, 05:58 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
I own a couple acres of land in palmdal. Hope springs eternal that they will start developing there

Old 03-28-2017, 06:13 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post

I have a brother out in Palmdale. It's more desired because it has better access to things in Southern California that people like:

Disneyland, the beaches of L.A. County and Ventura County, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, museums, art galleries, etc. Palmdale also has easier access to the Eastern Sierra (Bishop, Mammoth, Reno) and easy access to Las Vegas, the Colorado River, Laughlin, etc.

For Bakersfield, everything is an hour or two further away than it is in Palmdale.

Plus, Palmdale is also more connected to Los Angeles and it really feels like an L.A. suburb, whereas, Bakersfield is sort of out on its own and doesn't feel at all connected to the rest of Southern California.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:18 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I own a couple acres of land in palmdal. Hope springs eternal that they will start developing there
Interestingly, they are!

The economy is starting to pick up in the aerospace industry again and the facilities at Plant 42 are almost all occupied again. Add to that the Mojave Space Port is just 30 miles up the road and is on the leading edge of space development for all of California. Plus, you've got Edwards Air Force Base and everything going on with NASA out there. Many of the homes that were rentals a few years ago are now turning over to owner-occupied, which is helping the area too.

The neighboring city of Lancaster is where all of the available land is, though. Very interesting things going on in the Antelope Valley lately. I think the area is finally starting to come back out of the Recession and see its potential again...

Last edited by kttam186290; 03-28-2017 at 06:30 PM..

Old 07-28-2017, 10:58 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Just a quick update as we are in town this week on house hunting. We are moving in from out of State with my new job at the Edwards AFB. We previously lived in Orange County before moving out of State and still have a rental property there.

The housing market is HOT here in Palmdale/ Lancaster right now. Zillow has this area appreciated $15 - 20K in the last 30 days alone! I see that in the home listings as well in the last 2 -3 months in anticipation of this move. We focused on our search in the Rancho Vista/ Quartz Hill area, in no small part thanks to the members here on C-D forum's input even though many were 10 years old and the economy has turned around. Any houses in the $300K range get sold in less than a week. We saw one yesterday that was listed for ONE DAY and has received offers and now OFF the market.

There are houses that looks like good shape and decent neighborhood, but then as we drove around afterwards and noticed the neighbors who would stare at our cars with intense interest (not in a friendly way) or they have very noticeable tattoos. I don't want to place personal judgement but we are professional people and I simply don't want to put up with potential drama with my future neighbors. So we dropped those neighborhoods and moved on to the next house.

Overall, I'd say this area is fairly safe, as much as safety goes with comparable LA/OC neighborhoods. You just need "common sense" about safety. We are not Mexicans but I enjoy Mexican food so last night we went into a Mexican supermarket to get some food. This was in Avenue I east side of freeway. If I take what I read here about east Lancaster, I'd expect gang members flashing signs and stared at me like a piece of meat. We saw none of that. I must say the people working in there were very nice, polite, smiled and the food was FANTASTIC! So you can not believe in everything you read. Every situation is different and you should see it for yourself.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:58 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,130,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I have a brother out in Palmdale. It's more desired because it has better access to things in Southern California that people like:

Disneyland, the beaches of L.A. County and Ventura County, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, museums, art galleries, etc. Palmdale also has easier access to the Eastern Sierra (Bishop, Mammoth, Reno) and easy access to Las Vegas, the Colorado River, Laughlin, etc.

For Bakersfield, everything is an hour or two further away than it is in Palmdale.

Plus, Palmdale is also more connected to Los Angeles and it really feels like an L.A. suburb, whereas, Bakersfield is sort of out on its own and doesn't feel at all connected to the rest of Southern California.
That's because Bakersfield is located in CenCal, not SoCal.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:11 AM

234 posts, read 303,618 times
Aerospace is hiring....should be a good thing for the AV and Kern Co housing markets...

Old 07-31-2017, 03:11 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,058 times
Usually I resent when someone unearths the necro-thread from 10+ years ago,
but after these many years, it becomes a little side-piece of history.

The Antelope Valley is one of the lasts untamed bastions of the greater LA. I don't know if it will take 10, 20 or 30 years for your r.e. investiment to pay off, but one day when the high speed rail is built and driverless Google/Apple/Tesla cars take care of the long miles across the Seas of Burning Sands, old people tawlkin bout houses for less than a quarter million will be like tawlkin bout bottles of pop for 25 cents and candy/loaf of bread for a nickel.

Also, carping about gangs and immigrants will be irrelevant, when in 2047 a satellite in low earth orbit will simply fire an xray laser and vaporize an individual when they are convicted of their 5th violent felony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California