Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Semmler View Post
I suppose, being a consistent sort of fellow, that you held those sentiments 6,7,8 years ago.

I have always thought it curious that under President Bush, the Federal Government increased in size and power to invade privacy of citizens more than under any President since perhaps Lincoln, yet, not a peep from the right side of the aisle.

It seems to be clear that corporations have an undue influence over our government. Far more influence and power than Joe Citizen. That Government of the corporation, by the corporation, for the corporation" does not bother the right side of the aisle, and indeed is supported by those calling themselves Patriots, is truly frightening.
An example of your ability to contribute positively to the forum. Nice post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 AM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,924 times
Quote:
I think it is simply wrong of the government to routinely and easily learn that much about what its residents do with their telephones.
This question is for anyone, not just the person I quoted:

Why? What exactly do you think will happen and why are you so terrified of it?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:54 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Ever notice in a hockey fight the referees never grab one side in the dust up until they can control both? Entirely similar scenario here. The private sector has all the data that can be used however money or hacking desires. But the big, bad government isn't allowed?

Result? The uncontrolled party gets to wail on the restricted one.

No, folks, you (we, all) opened the Box ... too late now ...

Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
I'm not a fan of too much government intervention but, in this case, I have no problem with the government having access to phone records and the ability to monitor communications. Nothing in my life is worth listening in on. Pretty boring, actually.

However, if it weren't for them having that access, they might not have been able to thwart that attempted bombing in NY a couple of years ago. It was because they were able to access telephone and emails, linked to al qaeda, that kept thousands of people from dying.

If anyone can find a better way to keep tabs on terrorist activity, please speak up.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:01 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornhuskerRed View Post
That's awful kind of you to greet the new poster like that. Right friendly around here.

Dat only cause you in agreesment cuz.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:51 PM

330 posts, read 749,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Semmler View Post
I suppose, being a consistent sort of fellow, that you held those sentiments 6,7,8 years ago.

I have always thought it curious that under President Bush, the Federal Government increased in size and power to invade privacy of citizens more than under any President since perhaps Lincoln, yet, not a peep from the right side of the aisle.

It seems to be clear that corporations have an undue influence over our government. Far more influence and power than Joe Citizen. That Government of the corporation, by the corporation, for the corporation" does not bother the right side of the aisle, and indeed is supported by those calling themselves Patriots, is truly frightening.
Ohh, give it a rest. This post was not even directed at me, but as an independent its just so irritating to read I feel the need to respond. If I see another reference to Bush-era GOP policies used to excuse actions taken by the Obama Administration, I might just throw up.

Let's just get this out of the way: Republicans are hypocrites.

Okay, now that we can agree on that, lets move on: do you care to defend this invasion of privacy by the Obama administration? Do you care to defend DOJ monitoring of the Associated Press? Are these things not worthy of outrage?

Old 06-07-2013, 12:57 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
It is funny (yeah, haha funny) that all this money is being spent and all these assaults on our personal freedoms are being perpetrated in the name of "keeping us safe" from a threat that kills so few -- compared to, oh say, tobacco, booze, fast-food lifestyle, toxic additives to food and other consumables, unnecessary medical procedures, poor medical oversight and management in hospitals ........... etc. all of which murder and maim and cripple at rates in the hundreds of thousands of Americans per year ... yet which industries are protected by government and law.
I'm with you on this one. Most of the unsafe things that go on are mundane in nature and are often things we do to ourselves. Terrorism is a small threat compared to these things. But increased monitoring of everything we do continues in the name of "security" just as George Orwell tried to warn us it would back in the 1940s.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think it is simply wrong of the government to routinely and easily learn that much about what its residents do with their telephones. It is not garden variety data mining when the FBI and NSA do it.
Agreed. And honestly, I have a problem with this data mining regardless of whether private companies or the government is doing it. We are being conditioned to accept living in a prison-like environment as normal, natural, and inevitable.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:23 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I can't really remember the Exxon Holocaust or Khmer Rouge brought to us by Monsanto, can you? This of course ignores the fact that corporations cannot even exist in the absence of government. Due to this fact corporations are ultimately accountable to someone (shareholders, the government, their lenders etc.). Governments can force their will upon us without asking anyone for permission.
That's very naive to think that corporations are accountable to their shareholders. Anyone who's attended shareholder meetings and tried to exercise some control or bring about some accountability among the worst-offending corporations knows how orchestrated those shareholder meetings are. It's like saying that neighborhood caucuses are democratic. Most are not. Get a clue.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:44 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's very naive to think that corporations are accountable to their shareholders. Anyone who's attended shareholder meetings and tried to exercise some control or bring about some accountability among the worst-offending corporations knows how orchestrated those shareholder meetings are. It's like saying that neighborhood caucuses are democratic. Most are not. Get a clue.
It is also naive to think the government will use data only for the purposes they claim.

The NSA and FBI know who we have called for the last seven years. I don't commit crimes. But what if I unknowingly ordered pizza regularly from someone who is a criminal or whose son is a terrorist-wanna-be?

I do not trust that the interpretation of this data is correct, nor that it will only be used for the purposes we were told.

I just don't agree with the approach of "lets scoop up a ridiculous amount of data and poke around in it. Maybe someone is doing something illegal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California