Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:32 AM

954 posts, read 1,548,786 times

Advertisements

Few issues divide Democrats more than energy policy, as we've learned as unions and environmentalists fight over the Keystone XL pipeline. More evidence now comes from California, where greens have lost an attempt to ban oil and gas hydraulic fracturing.

[Mod cut: copyrighted material]
Review & Outlook: Fracturing in California - WSJ.com

Last edited by elnina; 06-09-2013 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 AM

569 posts, read 670,873 times
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Occidental donated to prop 30 I believe so there must have been some sort of deal with Brown. I expect it to happen (keep happening) at least before more regs get put into place. Hard to ignore the economic benefits. I've been watching the approved/pending permits in the local area and there are permits pending for more infrastructure (storage sites etc) and drilling right now.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 AM

19,191 posts, read 16,664,271 times
If fracking is a better way to extract oil and gas than the traditional method, why are environmentalists against it? Is it as simple as their fight against any type of fossil fuel or is there a legitimate argument that it harms the land?

Sorry to say, I've not followed the subject intensely. In fact, I had to look for information on just exactly what fracking entailed. I knew the term and a little bit about what it is, but I didn't know exactly what the whole process entailed. After watching a pretty informative video, my question is now, what is the issue with this procedure? Does it somehow compromise land structure? Leads to more earthquakes? What? What's the beef?

How Hydraulic Fracturing Works | Energy From Shale

Good video that describes hydraulic fracturing:

Hydraulic Fracturing - YouTube

Old 06-08-2013, 11:07 AM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Fracking uses huge amts. of water, and creates vast amounts of contaminated waste water that can re-enter the water table and ruin fresh water supplies. Fracking is due to start in the middle of the New Mexico desert soon. I have no idea how that would work in a desert, being that deserts are by definition short on water.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:43 AM

954 posts, read 1,548,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
If fracking is a better way to extract oil and gas than the traditional method, why are environmentalists against it? Is it as simple as their fight against any type of fossil fuel or is there a legitimate argument that it harms the land?

[/url]
Just a short time a go, maybe within even the last couple of years, much of the environmental movement led by the powerful & influential Sierra Club was very supportive of fracking because they viewed it as a "bridge" technology to produce and use more natural gas as a substitute for the very dirty/pollutive coal until the alternative forms of energy like Wind & Solar could reach the point of development where they'd be economically feasibility. However the new technology began to uncover such massive reserves of natural gas that we've come to the realization that the supply for the country may not be just years but decades, which meant that the new-found supplies of natural gas might also defer the conversion to a higher use of alternative energy reserves to decades instead of just years. Consequently the Greens have had a change of heart in their support of fracking.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Just a short time a go, maybe within even the last couple of years, much of the environmental movement led by the powerful & influential Sierra Club was very supportive of fracking because they viewed it as a "bridge" technology to produce and use more natural gas as a substitute for the very dirty/pollutive coal until the alternative forms of energy like Wind & Solar could reach the point of development where they'd be economically feasibility. However the new technology began to uncover such massive reserves of natural gas that we've come to the realization that the supply for the country may not be just years but decades, which meant that the new-found supplies of natural gas might also defer the conversion to a higher use of alternative energy reserves to decades instead of just years. Consequently the Greens have had a change of heart in their support of fracking.
So it's really about the use of fossil fuels, entirely. I can't help wonder who's behind their epiphany, spurring them on to fight it. Perhaps an alternative energy conglomerate who's motive is old-fashioned greed? (thinking outloud)

I'd like to see more affordable solar and wind power for areas around the country, though. Like today. There's enough sun and heat outside right now to generate enough power to light up LA and San Francisco, for a month. Wowzers! It's hot outside.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:58 PM

Isn't that why there is surface casing and cement? The cement seals the casing in place, to prevent ground water pollution. At least that's what the video described. Are there any places that have seen their water polluted by this process?

Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,557,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryEllard80 View Post
Not at all. It's about water pollution for quite a lot of people.
Props to the third round pick from Fresno State.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:13 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,752,778 times
The Central Valley does not have the water supply to support fracking, and we cannot risk what meager supplies we have nor our nations prime fertile soil with contamination. And, for the record, I am a conservative. Then again, so was Nixon, and he created the EPA.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,003,479 times
I wonder if this might set off a fracking earthquake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California