U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 05:26 PM

15 posts, read 57,389 times

Advertisements

Hey everone. I'm originally from Europe and I'm currently living in Texas. I've decided that I cannot live far away from the beach and my first thought was California. I'm a doctor and I want to raise a family and live in a big beach house or at least near the beach. I'm not willing to pay millions for a small beach house when I could afford a spacious house that's not right on the beach. I understand California is very expensive but I don't know it very well and I'm sure some places are more expensive than others... I'd like to be somewhere close to the beach, in the Santa Barbara, Santa Monica/Malibu, Long Beach, Orange County (huntington beach/newport beach) or north of San Diego areas. I want to find a friendly family-oriented community and I don't mind a 30-40 minutes commute to work. Would I be able to find a place like this in Southern California or should I consider Florida as well? I don't mind not being right on the beach but I don't want to live in the desert areas of California or any place that is considered "interior". And what about San Francisco Bay Area? I've heard it's pretty nice too. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 05:49 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,987,286 times
How big of a house are you looking for and what are you willing to pay?

Old 06-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
How big of a house are you looking for and what are you willing to pay?
No more than 3,000 sq ft and no more than 1M, although that would depend on the job I got there. Right now I could afford it.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:17 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,521,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeandude View Post
I'd like to be somewhere close to the beach, in the Santa Barbara, Santa Monica/Malibu, Long Beach, Orange County (huntington beach/newport beach) or north of San Diego areas. I want to find a friendly family-oriented community and I don't mind a 30-40 minutes commute to work.
These are all very good choices depending on what one is looking for. The LA beaches are in the middle of all the LA action. The Orange County beaches combine communities with good schools with the fabulous Southern California lifestyle. I think San Diego offers the best in beach living and is less crowded than Orange County or LA. Santa Barbara is beautiful but personally I do not like the 100 mile drive to LAX to catch a non-stop flight.

Quote:
Would I be able to find a place like this in Southern California or should I consider Florida as well?
Florida has no state income tax. California has a top income tax rate of 13.3%. To get a very rough estimate of your potential CA income tax,multiply your federal tax paid by .30. One could pay their Florida mortgage with their tax savings.

Quote:
And what about San Francisco Bay Area? I've heard it's pretty nice too.
SF is pretty and is good for about a 10 day visit. It is more expensive than Southern California. Unless one has no other choice because of tech related employment I would avoid Northern California. If one is looking for classic California beach life SF is not the place. The beaches here are cold and very windy. One has to wear a wetsuit and be an excellent swimmer to survive the rough waters on the Northern California coast. Also the area is incredibly crowded. The peninsula is just a tiny strip of land between the San Andreas fault and the bay. Coastal east bay is jammed in between the bay and the Hayward fault.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:25 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,987,286 times
In OC, you can find homes that are about 1-2 miles from the beach within your budget in Dana Point, San Clemente and Huntington. If you're willing to live 10-15 minutes away from the beach you can find plenty of nice, big homes in Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Irvine and Costa Mesa. In LA, you could find a few homes in Redondo and Torrance within a short drive to the beach and homes in Long Beach and San Pedro within a short distance to the ocean.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Florida has no state income tax. California has a top income tax rate of 13.3%. To get a very rough estimate of your potential CA income tax,multiply your federal tax paid by .30. One could pay their Florida mortgage with their tax savings.
Does that mean I should actually consider Florida? I've always liked both of them so much that I couldn't decide which one was better but honestly my final choice was California... But everything is so expensive over there I don't even know. Thank you for reading and answering!

Old 06-08-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
In OC, you can find homes that are about 1-2 miles from the beach within your budget in Dana Point, San Clemente and Huntington. If you're willing to live 10-15 minutes away from the beach you can find plenty of nice, big homes in Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Irvine and Costa Mesa. In LA, you could find a few homes in Redondo and Torrance within a short drive to the beach and homes in Long Beach and San Pedro within a short distance to the ocean.
I really would like to live in any of those places. California is just awesome everywhere you go! But I'm glad to hear that there's also "cheap" places to live in... Thanks a lot you really helped

Old 06-08-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Does that mean I should actually consider Florida?
That is a personal choice. The cost of living is much lower in Florida but as you know Florida is very humid in the summer. If you can handle the Texas heat you can probably take Florida. Then there are professional considerations such as malpractice laws and insurance that vary from state to state. I would focus on Southern California because of the perfectly comfortable coastal weather. How far inland are you willing to go to get a bigger house?

Old 06-08-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
That is a personal choice. The cost of living is much lower in Florida but as you know Florida is very humid in the summer. If you can handle the Texas heat you can probably take Florida. Then there are professional considerations such as malpractice laws and insurance that vary from state to state. I would focus on Southern California because of the perfectly comfortable coastal weather. How far inland are you willing to go to get a bigger house?
I don't really know the area but I think Anaheim is the furthest I'd ever go... And I'm not even sure I'd take it. I don't mind the humidity but California weather is way better than Florida, it never gets too hot like here.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I don't really know the area but I think Anaheim is the furthest I'd ever go... And I'm not even sure I'd take it. I don't mind the humidity but California weather is way better than Florida, it never gets too hot like here.
You will have plenty of places to choose from as long as you do not need to be right on the beach. All the previously mentioned places are worth considering. Anaheim is not a desirable location because of the schools. Orange County communities like Cypress and Los Alamitos are a short drive to the beach and have excellent schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California