Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,892,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Santa Barbara, Ventura, East San Diego County would be best if you want to surf more. Of course SF has Ocean Beach, Rockaway and some other spots. It's just hard to find anything affordable near those beaches. IMO, if you really want more affordable housing you'll need to do more driving either to work or to the coast or both. Finding affordable homes along prime CA coastal real estate is not going to happen unless off the beaten path (e.g. SLO County).
As someone who lived in Santa Barbara for five years I can tell you that it is a beautiful area but he can forget about it on a Police Officer's salary. Parts of Ventura would be doable, East County San Diego actually still has some nice and affordable areas (check out Santee) though east county doesn't get the wonderful weather people living in San Diego proper get and instead everything tends to be 10-20 degrees warmer. Santa Rosa and SLO are both great but there aren't many jobs unless one starts their own business while greater Sacramento is one of the worst designed urban areas in the state plus it is hot as hell to boot. Still, Sacramento is very affordable and one can find good school districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 06:38 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
As someone who lived in Santa Barbara for five years I can tell you that it is a beautiful area but he can forget about it on a Police Officer's salary. Parts of Ventura would be doable, East County San Diego actually still has some nice and affordable areas (check out Santee) though east county doesn't get the wonderful weather people living in San Diego proper get and instead everything tends to be 10-20 degrees warmer. Santa Rosa and SLO are both great but there aren't many jobs unless one starts their own business while greater Sacramento is one of the worst designed urban areas in the state plus it is hot as hell to boot. Still, Sacramento is very affordable and one can find good school districts.
Beware this. They don't call it Klantee fer nuthin', ya know.

I would vote for SLO or Ventura if the finances allow for it.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:08 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
Google maps says Sacramento to Pacifica is 101 miles. If you are going 65 miles, that's about 1hr, 45min trip. I said east Sac because those are the places I would consider living in if I moved to Sac. Unless there are some great things about West Sac that you'd like to share.
If you decide on Sac, choose the part of town carefully. Some parts are on PG&E, others are on Sac Municipal Utility District. The latter is by far cheaper than the former. Major savings on utility bills, be advised.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM

6,419 posts, read 11,571,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Beware this. They don't call it Klantee fer nuthin', ya know.

I would vote for SLO or Ventura if the finances allow for it.
They don't call it Klantee at all, any more. That's old news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California