Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 AM

56 posts, read 111,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A new book calls San Luis Obispo one of the world's happiest places. It's the only city in america identified in the book.

Folks living in San Luis Obispo have been saying it for years.

"It's a good family town. It's a good place to be. It's definitely a happy place," said Michael Rangel of San Luis Obispo.

Now, the secret is out in the form of a new National Geographic book called "Thrive" by Dan Buettner.

"San Luis Obispo is named a happy town. It's actually the only town in the United States," said Lindsey Miller with the San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce.

Buettner cites a 2008 study showing the city's residents are more likely to smile and experience joy and less likely to experience pain or depression. The study even ranked the city number one in the nation in overall emotional health, so the author decided to see for himself.

"We talked about some of the things that really makes San Luis unique. The greenbelt, the anti-smoking, the no drive-thru, the arts community," Miller said.

Add to that miles of bike paths, a beautiful Mission plaza, and of course, Farmers' Market, but most of all, Buettner loved the people here.

"We have so much going on here and yet we are a city of 45,000," Miller said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times

I'm in SLO right now and yes..I love it here.

Most of the people I come across are indeed happy, outgoing and social. I do like the no smoking and no drive through laws as well.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 AM

434 posts, read 848,900 times
No drive thru fast foods. That that makes for a "happy" place? I guess the idea is to discourage use of your car (or at least not run the engine) in order to save the planet. I mean how much earth destruction can you do taking your car to a fast food? And shopping is quite limited. Battles are fought for years every time someone tries to build a major store.

I guess if you've got a government job you'll be happy in SLO. Major employers in the area are mostly taxpayer funded. But it is a pretty place.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I mean how much earth destruction can you do taking your car to a fast food?
Every journey is done one step at a time. Seems like an easy concept.

Quote:
And shopping is quite limited.
These types of sentences baffle me, what in the world besides Christian Laboutin shoes can you not get in San Luis Obispo? And if it isn't found here, how long does it take to order it off the internet?

Cracks me up, some people are not happy, unless they are shopping in the same brand name store as are found in most every city in the country, it seems to imply a vast lack of imagination.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
No drive thru fast foods. That that makes for a "happy" place? I guess the idea is to discourage use of your car (or at least not run the engine) in order to save the planet. I mean how much earth destruction can you do taking your car to a fast food? And shopping is quite limited. Battles are fought for years every time someone tries to build a major store.

I guess if you've got a government job you'll be happy in SLO. Major employers in the area are mostly taxpayer funded. But it is a pretty place.
Regarding the Drive Throughs, it's not necessarily to discourage the use of your car to 'save the planet', but more to encourage people to get out and breathe a little fresh air and walk a bit. It also encourages use of locally owned and operated restaurants because if you're going to get out of your car, you may as well get a decent meal instead of that fast food junk.

And shopping isn't necessarily limited... it's just that there aren't many giant big box stores, which I for one am very grateful for.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:03 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
I really like SLO. It's a nice little university town with a lot of beauty close by like the Central Coast (Montana de Oro SP, Morro Bay), the rolling hills which really come alive during Spring and the Carrizo Plain.

Only major problem is the obvious lack of employment opportunities and an overabundance of floating college age ppl trying to decide if they want to stay or leave after graduation. But for ppl who can telecommute, have some kind of decent job or are retired it's a very nice place indeed.

Derek

Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 AM

Shopping is limited. From what I remember if you want to shop at a Target you must go to Paso Robles. Want a Macys then go to Santa Maria. Arroyo Grande for Wal Mart. Heck there wasn't even a Whole Foods in SLO the last time I was there. I guess it's the town's attitude towards shopping that bothers me. Several attempts have been made by developers to add more shopping choices and they loose every time to the anti growth crowd.

And I don't appreciate the city government telling me I need to get more exercise by not using my car to go to fast food drive thrus. They should mind their own business - perhaps work on improving the test scores of school kids in the area which are nothing to brag about.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 AM

SLO is becoming a haven for wealthy retirees. They don't have to worry about the lack of non-government jobs and can afford the high home prices. Families struggle to afford SLO and private employers have been exiting the area for years.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Why in the world would anyone rate a town based on whether it has a Target, or a Macy's or a Walmart, or any other mass consumption chain store?

Why not relax and patronize your local businesses owned by locals?

The city government is not telling you you need more exercise, they are providing you with clean air, you know, "promote the general welfare".

Quote:
They should mind their own business
I find it annoying when they build roads, so should they stop building roads?

Huh, the city government has nothing to do with schools.

Quote:
private employers have been exiting the area for years.
I don't think so, and furthermore, faster than businesses leave, new startups are started, you see, once you get that college degree from Cal Poly, you want to stay in the area, so, you create businesses that make you enough money to buy a house and remain in the area.
How is your college work coming?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,555 times
According to the data on the SLO homepage on this site, the cost of living is 125, ie, 25% higher than the national average. It would seem that happiness comes with a rather hefty price tag. Pleasant for sure, but costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California