Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 03:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I rest easier at night knowing Jerry Brown is our governor instead of the steroid-crazed lunkhead who preceded him.
You must admit; the guv-ship hasn't lacked for entertainment value in awhile....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 03:48 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
What say you?
What kind of jobs? Liberal or conservative, it seems like a lot of these new jobs are not as good as the old jobs that were lost... Here in the bay area, there are a lot of new really rich people - but at the same time, there seem to be more and more poor people.

I used to think the decimation of the middle class as a mostly academic musing, but now, not so much...

Old 06-30-2013, 08:05 PM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
What job growth? These are all jobs that were lost during the recession. CA is still at 9% unemployment rate, the last time I checked. If the unemployment rate can go to 4%, this would be real job creation.

Just more politicians trying to fool the masses and I am not fooled.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
What say you?
I consider myself a centrist, although sometimes I lean a bit more to the left.

With that said, I don't believe that governors create jobs. They can only make business climate favorable or not.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I consider myself a centrist, although sometimes I lean a bit more to the left.

With that said, I don't believe that governors create jobs. They can only make business climate favorable or not.
Agreed - aggregate demand and economic need creates jobs.

Frankly, though, I had pretty low expectations for Brown coming in as governor, given the track record of the last couple of guvs who disappointed the public, and the rather dysfunctional way that California does policy by voter referendum and the supermajority budget requirement. So it's a pleasant surprise that things seem to be looking up, budget-wise. Brown has tended to be pretty frugal in nature, generally, so I don't see him trying to bust the budget with the breather in the state's financial improvements.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:10 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes, I read that too. Thanks. I'm still curious. What jobs did he create? Even the LA Times article isn't clear about the jobs he created only that x amount of jobs were created since he took office. If it was the recovering economy that prompted the jobs, how can Jerry be credited for creating them?

Side Note: Things aren't all the rosy in Sacramento. Seven schools closed this month and while it will save the district money, what happens to the staff who worked at those schools. Already a hard hit area with Campbell Soup closing, some neighborhoods are worse off than before. And here I thought that Prop 30 tax was supposed to save the schools. Something's rotten in Denmark. I mean Sacramento.

Students, teachers say final goodbye as seven Sacramento schools close - Education - The Sacramento Bee
Methinks you're cherrypicking a few news items that are tangentially related to the economy. Schools closed because there aren't enough kids in them. Yeah, the budget was tight, but even if the budget was flush, it's not a good idea to keep the groundskeepers cutting grass at two schools that are each half full. Campbell's closed because it was an old plant and no one eats their crappy soup. (A shame for those affected, nonetheless.) Most economic indicators for the area have improved considerably: Jobs picture brightens in California and Sacramento region - Business - The Sacramento Bee

Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
Methinks you're cherrypicking a few news items that are tangentially related to the economy. Schools closed because there aren't enough kids in them. Yeah, the budget was tight, but even if the budget was flush, it's not a good idea to keep the groundskeepers cutting grass at two schools that are each half full. Campbell's closed because it was an old plant and no one eats their crappy soup. (A shame for those affected, nonetheless.) Most economic indicators for the area have improved considerably: Jobs picture brightens in California and Sacramento region - Business - The Sacramento Bee

I wasn't cherry picking, ryuns. And, I didn't post the story about the school closures to put the governor down even though I'm not a fan. I added it as a side note (notice the words "Side Note") to what's still happening in the state. I'd still like to know what jobs the governor has created, though. Last time I looked, governors don't create jobs. Businesses create jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California