Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 05:46 PM

14 posts, read 55,336 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move back to California, we were thinking about Redding or Placerville maybe Chico. We work at Wal-Mart so one or two stores in the area is good. We have children in grade school, so good schools are important. a good gym in town is important. We are looking for somewhere with less crime and drugs. We have family in Lake county so being close without being there is a plus. I love the mountains and hiking also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,944,118 times
My personal favorite and close to the coast and good health care is TA DAAA! SANTA ROSA! It has it all , good proximity to airports, great weather and not so urban. Check it out!! Oh, and the surrounding communities are great too such as Sonoma, Healdsburg, Sebastopol , etc.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:33 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,475,049 times
Housing plans/budget? That might decide whether you're inland or coastal.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:37 AM

Our income is limited 60k, so if I was looking at Sonoma area where are the cheaper areas that still have the things I am looking for. I love Napa, Sonoma, American canyon, but don't want to be in places like Vallejo.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,097,086 times
When it comes to less crime and drugs, Redding does not even make the list.

Plus it's going to be a 110 plus for the next week.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 AM

That's what I keep hearing on here, It's to bad I drove through there and thought it was pretty, close to the mountains but still warm enough.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:19 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,219,103 times
I like Santa Rosa a lot better than Redding too. You can check out nearby town there too, like Rohnert Park, Windsor. How about Ukiah? That's up there, and not too expensive at all. They got a Wal-Mart too!

Old 06-30-2013, 11:05 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,475,049 times
Well, given your income most anywhere being mentioned is going to be a stretch if you want to live in something that resembles middle class. While its hot as hell in the summer, Redding is fine. There are smaller, quieter communities nearby (Palo Cedro, Anderson, Shingletown) and it has two supercenters (Redding and Anderson).

Chico actually has pretty high home prices given its valley location. Guess the "college town" rep counts for something. There's always the option of working there and living in Paradise (15-20 miles up the hill). It has good schools and is very pretty (pine trees everywhere). Plus its cheaper than Chico. There is a Walmart in Oroville but the town itself, while in a scenic location with lots of lake/river recreation, is kind of low on the socio-economic scale. Real estate is very reasonable and that's about the only draw in my book. It is interesting that a home that would go for 200K in Oroville is 350K in Chico, just 22 miles away.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:24 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,642,812 times
Ukiah has reasonable housing prices. There is some crime and some meth present, but it is no where near as bad as in some places. The homeless are probably the biggest issue, and they hang out around Walmart.
I hear a few people complaining about always being approached and harassed by them, but I have never been bothered.
There is Lake Mendocino as well as Clearlake to enjoy. It's just over an hour to the coast if one wants to visit the ocean.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:25 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,685,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Chico actually has pretty high home prices given its valley location. Guess the "college town" rep counts for something. There's always the option of working there and living in Paradise (15-20 miles up the hill). It has good schools and is very pretty (pine trees everywhere). Plus its cheaper than Chico. There is a Walmart in Oroville but the town itself, while in a scenic location with lots of lake/river recreation, is kind of low on the socio-economic scale. Real estate is very reasonable and that's about the only draw in my book. It is interesting that a home that would go for 200K in Oroville is 350K in Chico, just 22 miles away.
Also check out Marysville and Yuba City, two towns next to each other. Both towns have a Walmart. I would imagine housing would be as cheap as you can find in the valley and it's closer to Lake county than Chico or Oroville. Hot as **** in the summer!

You might want to post this in the Sacramento forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California