Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:15 PM

260 posts, read 656,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSCNJDreamin View Post
Why would you choose to live in Inland California...Given that Inland California doesn't have that many jobs and suffers not only from high unemployment and long commutes, in addition to having to deal with California taxes and laws, why would you willingly choose to live in a place like Riverside, Fresno, or Stockton over moving to a place that has low taxes, a better economy, or a shorter commute given that the amenities are the same.
I wouldn't and never did. My husband just won't leave. He's darn lucky I love him enough to stay here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:19 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I would never live in the IE, too hot and smoggy in the summer months. Washington state is beautiful and I would consider it.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:30 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default Close To The Best Topography And Cities In The USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSCNJDreamin View Post
Given that Inland California doesn't have that many jobs and suffers not only from high unemployment and long commutes, in addition to having to deal with California taxes and laws, why would you willingly choose to live in a place like Riverside, Fresno, or Stockton over moving to a place that has low taxes, a better economy, or a shorter commute given that the amenities are the same.

Close To The Best Topography And Cities In The USA , Las Wages Nutt Badder and Seattle and Portland are just too dog gone far away , and Tex ass just forget about it!!!!

Old 08-08-2013, 05:09 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Close To The Best Topography And Cities In The USA , Las Wages Nutt Badder and Seattle and Portland are just too dog gone far away , and Tex ass just forget about it!!!!
Lived in Dallas once. About the same as the IE, just lower cost of living and more lakes nearby.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:27 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Depends on if you need to work for a living, too.

I am retired and would love to live in the SF Bay Area, but can't afford it, but I CAN afford to live outside of Fresno, Ca, in the Inland Empire, I guess it's called.

I drove there today, and found a senior community I can afford in a small town outside of Fresno. I can keep my CA state health insurance, etc., and will not have to deal with any snow :-)

For me, I wanted to stay in CA for my benefits, and the weather, and it's preferable for me to stay here in the inland area, than move out of state.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Those other states are nothing more than a toilet. Seriously, compared to the greatness of California they are nothing more than a brown stain on the mattress.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Lived in Dallas once. About the same as the IE, just lower cost of living and more lakes nearby.
I totally disagree, IE has mountain views: where are the mountains in Dallas? We lived there for 13 years, I guess I must have had my eyes closed? And then there is the summer, since when does the IE have nights in the mid 80s with 80% humidity? I happen to like some things is Dallas and hubby and I lived just east of the IE for years. I don't dislike it either, there are just no comparisons between the two areas in my view.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:20 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,193 times
I was born and raised in California and my whole family lives here. I love being close to deserts, mountains, ski resorts, beaches and big cities like Los Angeles. Few states have as much to see and do as California.

Nevada? I have driven all over the state and while some of the towns were nice (Elko), most of them were way too isolated from anything else. Outside of Reno, Carson City and Las Vegas, you are pretty much hundreds and hundreds of miles away from any other towns. Most of the state depends on gambling to stimulate the economy and not much else.

As for Texas, it just sucks. It gets so hot and humid in the summer. I don't care how low the taxes supposedly are, I would never live there. I also am not a fan of the politics either.

and Arizona? Outside of the Flagstaff area, I would not live there. Most of Arizona is a desert wasteland with not much appeal to me at all.

Washington is too far from San Diego, my family, and friends. I also strongly dislike the almost constant gloomy, rainy weather.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
I was born and raised in California and my whole family lives here. I love being close to deserts, mountains, ski resorts, beaches and big cities like Los Angeles. Few states have as much to see and do as California.

Nevada? I have driven all over the state and while some of the towns were nice (Elko), most of them were way too isolated from anything else. Outside of Reno, Carson City and Las Vegas, you are pretty much hundreds and hundreds of miles away from any other towns. Most of the state depends on gambling to stimulate the economy and not much else.

As for Texas, it just sucks. It gets so hot and humid in the summer. I don't care how low the taxes supposedly are, I would never live there. I also am not a fan of the politics either.

and Arizona? Outside of the Flagstaff area, I would not live there. Most of Arizona is a desert wasteland with not much appeal to me at all.

Washington is too far from San Diego, my family, and friends. I also strongly dislike the almost constant gloomy, rainy weather.
Guess what, first of all, you are not answering the question, and I have to wonder if you have ever been in some of the states mentioned. The question was comparing IE with these states, you are comparing the state you live in, but not the island empire per say. The IE is very much like parts of NV and AZ, it fact it almost exactly the same. It is hard to tell when you leave IE and enter NV> I think you are very biased, but we all have opinions: that is what makes these debates so interesting.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:11 AM

764 posts, read 2,037,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I CAN afford to live outside of Fresno, Ca, in the Inland Empire, I guess it's called.
Fresno is NOT in the Inland Empire. Inland Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California