Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:00 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Fresno isn't as bad as some think. Many people from the southern part of the the state are all about status and designer this or that. People in Fresno aren't pretentious. The cost of living is very reasonable for California and the social amenities are numerous. If Fresno is on your short list then you might want to consider a visit before making a final decision. It would be worth the trip. BTW.....Fresno is nothing like Bakersfield.
I think people who live in SoCal (i.e., LA and SD) are more conscious of opportunities.

There are more opportunities to make money and pursue personal interests in the SoCal metropolitan areas than in the Central Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 07:01 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times
genfy,

Thank you for supporting my thesis. As you mentioned, in the southern part of the state, people are all about money. Money doesn't necessarily equate to quality of life. To you money might equate to status, so again, thank you for supporting my point of view.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
No problem.

I hope the OP will find his stay in Fresno most productive.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:55 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjferg21 View Post
Thanks for the comments. As for the area around Fresno State, what is it like? How nice is it? Again, I've never been out there before and not totally sure if I am a finalist that they will fly me out to see it.
Its actually pretty nice. North part of Fresno bordering Clovis. Mostly suburban type houses from the 1970s onward in good shape surround the campus. Plenty of chain type shopping and dining on Shaw Ave. There's a university farm on the north side of the campus (big agriculture program there). Pleasant, low density area.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:38 PM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
PM'd you.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,746 times
19 days of 100 degree temp. didn't break 21 day record set in 2005. Still, if you know how to cool your house and yourself you can keep costs down.
1) Buy a water reverse osmosis purification device for tap water. Nitrates are a problem and are on the rise because of Fresno being an agricultural area. If you don't invest in rev. osmosis device, buy bottled water.

2) Cover windows with weather strip-type film plastic. It does help keep cooling/heating cost under control. Use fans to keep cool during the night to keep electric bill down.

3) Remember to check with public works for trash, recycling services and to learn water restrictions. Water days are controlled here for watering lawns and plants.

4) Save money by combining two or more trips, such as plan to go grocery shopping same day and near other appointments. I plan it this way to save gas, time and energy.

5) Buy rechargeable edge trimmers and lawn equipment. I've used them for years without any problems. Saves on carbon footprint.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,746 times
You mentioned why other big-named athletes liked to settle here. I can tell you there are golf fanatics around here. If you like golf and sports, you'll love Fresno State.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM

97 posts, read 235,716 times
Define "around" Chicago? If you've lived in the suburbs, I don't think it will be a big adjustment, especially if your job will demand a lot of your time. Good luck with the job search and your decision!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 AM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
Hope you like Armenians. They're everywhere. Have a lot of them as friends and as an Italian, love to rag on them.

lol. I actually like Fresno.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:07 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
For R&R it's a nice drive (partly scenic) from Fresno to Lake Tahoe or Monterey/Carmel...

I've C&R mostly, many stripers & catfish in the Delta/Mendota, CA Aqueduct, from Firebaugh to Tracy.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California