Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Rather non sequiter but I'm not going to argue with you. You enjoy it too much.

That you and I can agree upon. Having worked in the state political system I've been saying the same thing for years. The unfunded mandates and bad statutes propositions have spawned have not served the state well at all.
Why is it a non-sequitor? I was just pointing out that on the subject of ignoring laws and pursuing vigilante justice, conservatives have a history of it. I don't think it's fair to single out liberals, both sides would likely abuse jury nullifacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Juicy Simpson LOVED the concept of Jury Nullification!!!! Too bad he was idiotic enough to find his way back to the pokey.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Why is it a non-sequitor? I was just pointing out that on the subject of ignoring laws and pursuing vigilante justice, conservatives have a history of it. I don't think it's fair to single out liberals, both sides would likely abuse jury nullifacation.
Because I think you missed the sentence in which I said as much without having to resort to the "shock value" of vigilantism and possible racism backlash of lynchings.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
It would not be the conservative jury that would turn to Jury Nullification. It would be used heavily in Liberal areas of the country. Example a San Francisco jury that was against Marijuana Laws, would come out against any Marijuana Law and would never convict a Marijuana Law violator. Evidence be dammed.

Stop and realize what Jury Nullification really means.

Jury Nullification | LII / Legal Information Institute

Old 07-13-2013, 03:16 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It would not be the conservative jury that would turn to Jury Nullification. It would be used heavily in Liberal areas of the country. Example a San Francisco jury that was against Marijuana Laws, would come out against any Marijuana Law and would never convict a Marijuana Law violator. Evidence be dammed.

Stop and realize what Jury Nullification really means.

Jury Nullification | LII / Legal Information Institute
Most likely in the majority of cases, but I could envision juries in conservative areas using jury nullification regarding gun laws

Old 07-13-2013, 03:02 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
The original demise of Jury Nullification in the Federal Court system came about in the 1880's when Republicans responded to complaints of major business' that they could not get convictions against union organizers who resorted to company vandalism. Prior to that it was required that a Federal judge not only include nullification in the jury instruction but also allow the defense push for nullification in their arguments.

Now, I am 5 and a Republican, but I see all these comments about how we have representation and should use the legislative option to enact legal change. Sorry, the last I looked, we have a 2 party system wherein each of the 2 parties tell us who they will let us pick in the primary. In fact they GOP US Senate Cmt. is spending $3M this year to run ads against any primary challenger to an incumbent.

The last I looked there were only 435 members of the US House, a voter to representative ratio of about 750,000 to 1. In Britain it is currently 90,000 to 1. The 2nd least representative body in the US to the House of Representatives is out own state Senate where it is 550,000 to 1

The last I looked, the voters of California passed a proposition only permitting the top 2 vote getters from the primary to appear on the general ballot, so now, we are required by law to only vote for the 2 main party candidates in November.

The last I checked, we, in general, do not elect our judges.

Jefferson and Madison successfully pushed for inclusion of Jury Nullification in the constitution, that is why the federal government could not just eliminate it in the 1880's, but they could and did squash reference to it to the point the the people forgot of it's existence. Living in a state where special interests present a list tot he assembly on a regular basis of "what new things to make illegal" in the hope that the interests will be a recipient of a cut of the added revenue from the resultant fines. Would it not be great if the jury had the option of ruling "the defendant is not guilty because his actions should not be illegal".

Old 07-13-2013, 03:17 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Would it not be great if the jury had the option of ruling "the defendant is not guilty because his actions should not be illegal".
It would not.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:01 PM

563 posts, read 807,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
The original demise of Jury Nullification in the Federal Court system came about in the 1880's when Republicans responded to complaints of major business' that they could not get convictions against union organizers who resorted to company vandalism. Prior to that it was required that a Federal judge not only include nullification in the jury instruction but also allow the defense push for nullification in their arguments.

Now, I am 5 and a Republican, but I see all these comments about how we have representation and should use the legislative option to enact legal change. Sorry, the last I looked, we have a 2 party system wherein each of the 2 parties tell us who they will let us pick in the primary. In fact they GOP US Senate Cmt. is spending $3M this year to run ads against any primary challenger to an incumbent.

The last I looked there were only 435 members of the US House, a voter to representative ratio of about 750,000 to 1. In Britain it is currently 90,000 to 1. The 2nd least representative body in the US to the House of Representatives is out own state Senate where it is 550,000 to 1

The last I looked, the voters of California passed a proposition only permitting the top 2 vote getters from the primary to appear on the general ballot, so now, we are required by law to only vote for the 2 main party candidates in November.

The last I checked, we, in general, do not elect our judges.

Jefferson and Madison successfully pushed for inclusion of Jury Nullification in the constitution, that is why the federal government could not just eliminate it in the 1880's, but they could and did squash reference to it to the point the the people forgot of it's existence. Living in a state where special interests present a list tot he assembly on a regular basis of "what new things to make illegal" in the hope that the interests will be a recipient of a cut of the added revenue from the resultant fines. Would it not be great if the jury had the option of ruling "the defendant is not guilty because his actions should not be illegal".
That would open up a can of worms and a ****storm. There is no telling where it could go. For example, say someone assassinated a politician for "violating the Constitution". The jury might sympathize with his views and than have him acquitted. Or a radical Muslim terrorist shoots up a synagogue and claims freedom of religion for his jihad. If the jury gets packed with people sharing his view, he might just walk free. There has to be a specific set of procedures and regulations so that it doesn't get too out of hand.

Now if you asked the question: Would it not be great if the jury had the option of ruling "the defendant can not be convicted because the law criminalizing his/her actions is unconstitutional"? It would be more predictable, and not get too out of hand.

~never-more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: