Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 04:34 PM

45 posts, read 102,410 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm in MN - looking at CA as a potential state for relocation. Mom has arthritis so we are considering moving to a warmer climate. The issue I have with relocating to CA is cost of living. Houses and everything else are generally more expensive than MN. Are there safe neighborhoods in the surrounding Los Angeles and San Diego?

What I'm looking for:
  • Family oriented, safe locations
  • Good public schools
  • Neighborhoods where houses are in the $300-$350k range (which I am assuming would be hard to find in CA if I'm looking for very safe areas with good public schools?)
I am not too concerned about jobs at this point - I would still be able to keep my current job and work remotely.

Also, does CA have any type of medical assistance for individuals below certain income level? I'm asking because my mom doesn't work - I support her financially - I just can't afford to buy private medical insurance for her. In MN, she gets medical assistance through the state. I have coverage through work so my son and I are taken care of...we just have to figure out medical coverage for my mom if we move out of MN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 04:58 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMom07 View Post
Hi,

I'm in MN - looking at CA as a potential state for relocation. Mom has arthritis so we are considering moving to a warmer climate. The issue I have with relocating to CA is cost of living. Houses and everything else are generally more expensive than MN. Are there safe neighborhoods in the surrounding Los Angeles and San Diego?

What I'm looking for:
  • Good public schools
  • Neighborhoods where houses are in the $300-$350k range (which I am assuming would be hard to find in CA if I'm looking for very safe areas with good public schools?)
I am not too concerned about jobs at this point - I would still be able to keep my current job and work remotely.

Also, does CA have any type of medical assistance for individuals below certain income level? I'm asking because my mom doesn't work - I support her financially - I just can't afford to buy private medical insurance for her. In MN, she gets medical assistance through the state. I have coverage through work so my son and I are taken care of...we just have to figure out medical coverage for my mom if we move out of MN.
That lower prices range will be your biggest challenge when combined with good schools.

Best bang for the buck with good schools in SoCal is the Murrieta, Temecula area. Some good friends of ours with younger children moved there for affordability.

To get an idea of public schools check out this map and zoom in to the areas in question: California School Performance Maps

Derek

Old 07-13-2013, 06:39 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Hi,

What I'm looking for:
  • Good public schools

You can check to see if your mother would be sufficiently considered disabled / old enough to apply for medical coverage through Medi-Cal:

Individuals

Last edited by pacific2; 07-13-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 02:21 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Quote:
Hi,

I would research this. The view that a warmer climate significantly ameliorates the perception of arthritis pain is a persistent, but misleading, belief. Arthritis sufferers in harsh climates often make this assumption because they feel better in summer than in winter. But the actual culprit is more likely barometric pressure, not temperature. So a coastal area like L.A. or San Diego wouldn't be the best option. A desert or inland valley climate would offer more stable barometric pressure.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times
If you would be interested in a mountain community, then I would suggest Mariposa County. Mariposa is a gateway community to Yosemite National Park. Mariposa has very reasonably priced homes and is an excellent area to raise children. The schools are ranked very high. Mariposa is located above the smog and the fog and offers an excellent quality of life. You may want to check out this area.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:49 PM

I don't know much about mountain community so I can't make comparison. A few questions about Mariposa then:

1) Is it more rural and small town?
2) Is it close to things such as grocery stores, shopping mall, restaurants, parks?

Just to give you an idea...I have always live in suburban areas within 30 minutes of Twin Cities. I just won't be able to move to a rural area. I don't need to live in the middle of a big city either.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
About your mom's healthcare. Start by applying to the county you move to for county health insurance. They will know if Medi-Cal is the best option, and can help her apply. If she doesn't qualify for Medi-Cal, there will likely be a cheap/free county option.

I started on county health insurance while I applied for disability, then it was switched to Medi-Cal. Have had great experiences with different counties in CA through their free/cheap health plans. Medi-Cal has cut dental and vision, but other than that, it's good insurance. All my meds are free, and I have no co-pays either.

As far as arthritis. I am from CA, but moved to WA state for 18 years. I had some spine injuries and have lots of arthritis, etc. in my neck, especially. When i moved back to CA, I felt 10 years younger. I do agree, that it's very much affected by the barometric pressure, but the warmer/drier climate has been night and day as far as how I feel, even here in the SF Bay Area.

Welcome to CA!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Hi,

What I'm looking for:
  • Good public schools

The Greater Sacramento Area is probably your best bet if you want to stay within an urban environment. The coastal cities (SF, LA, SD,etc) can easily double that of your budget.

Check out: Elk Grove, Greenheaven, Folsom, Rocklin, Lincoln, Roseville, Davis, etc. They're all very much safe family oriented neighborhood within your price range (to various degree of course).

Also, do note that winter in Northern CA is still going to be pretty cold. Not freezing, won't snow; but still need a warm jacket + turn on heat.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The Greater Sacramento Area is probably your best bet if you want to stay within an urban environment. The coastal cities (SF, LA, SD,etc) can easily double that of your budget.

Check out: Elk Grove, Greenheaven, Folsom, Rocklin, Lincoln, Roseville, Davis, etc. They're all very much safe family oriented neighborhood within your price range (to various degree of course).

Also, do note that winter in Northern CA is still going to be pretty cold. Not freezing, won't snow; but still need a warm jacket + turn on heat.
I second this! I lived in both Davis and Folsom. Great schools, safe, lots of parks. Excellent thought. I was thinking you wanted to move to SoCal, but if you're open to Northern CA, there are great options in the Greater Sacto area. Hot summers, though.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:14 PM

Thank you so much to all!!! I will check into Davis and Folsom. Since we are from MN I think winter in CA will be a great improvement. If anyone else have other locations meeting my budget and criteria then please throw them out there.

I think with CA expanding Medicaid as part of the health reform starting in 2014 my mom should be covered from a medical standpoint. We just need to fine a location in CA that is safe and affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California