Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:18 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet ... video has gone viral of a pair of humpbacks in Morro Bay nearly swallowing a couple divers ... caution, there's a naughty word uttered in the video
Video: Whales nearly eat divers off Calif.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet ... video has gone viral of a pair of humpbacks in Morro Bay nearly swallowing a couple divers ... caution, there's a naughty word uttered in the video
Video: Whales nearly eat divers off Calif.
Not even close! Humpbacks are baleen whales that live off krill and small fish. The closest danger to the divers would have been a hit as they breached or a major slap with a tail or fin. Being eaten wasn't an option.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not even close! Humpbacks are baleen whales that live off krill and small fish. The closest danger to the divers would have been a hit as they breached or a major slap with a tail or fin. Being eaten wasn't an option.
Right ... but, the point was, they coulda been scooped up by accident, they said. As I recall, the baleens suck in a HUGE amount of fish and water and then force the water out through their sieve mouths ... that would have sucked. On the other hand, I wonder how precisely the whales read their target area ... they likely knew exactly where the divers were.

Still, if I had been where those divers were, I'd have, as the one said to the other "had to clean out my wetsuit with more than a rinse."

Old 07-23-2013, 09:13 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Yeah I'm thinking probably not. How do baleen whales keep from scooping up other large animals like seals.

If you look at the video you can see the whales breeched at the side of the fish boil not in the middle of it where the divers were. Look at all the other videos of whales feeding and most of the time they are coming up right through the middle or largest mass of the boiling fish.

That being said there is always a chance. Just as Jonah.

I actually wanted to be a marine biologist when I was growing up unlike most boys.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yeah I'm thinking probably not. How do baleen whales keep from scooping up other large animals like seals.

If you look at the video you can see the whales breeched at the side of the fish boil not in the middle of it where the divers were. Look at all the other videos of whales feeding and most of the time they are coming up right through the middle or largest mass of the boiling fish.

That being said there is always a chance. Just as Jonah.

I actually wanted to be a marine biologist when I was growing up unlike most boys.
So did I Dawg (!) Great minds think alike ... and then something happens to crash the brain cells I guess ...

Old 07-23-2013, 09:44 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Was a great close up video. Looked like they could easily have been scooped up...

Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
So did I Dawg (!) Great minds think alike ... and then something happens to crash the brain cells I guess ...
Life and personal choices has destroyed a great many callings. I was also a fairly accomplished saxophonist

Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Life and personal choices has destroyed a great many callings. I was also a fairly accomplished saxophonist
No! You don't say! And I a bassoonist! And still we are blowhards all these years later!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
No! You don't say! And I a bassoonist! And still we are blowhards all these years later!
The baffoonist bassoonists were what we liked to call you. The geeks of the orchestra. Us cool cats couldn't be bother with you. I mean honestly it looked like you guys were sucking on a giant hooka.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
The baffoonist bassoonists were what we liked to call you. The geeks of the orchestra. Us cool cats couldn't be bother with you. I mean honestly it looked like you guys were sucking on a giant hooka.
Yes, right. You DO know what can be, and IS, smoked in hookas, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California