Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 PM

61 posts, read 140,245 times

Advertisements

Hello!

So I've spent some time looking at the Eureka Transit Site to see how to get around the Eureka. What about getting to the beach? I see there is a bus from RTS that goes to the beach I think but I'm not sure if that's the only one available.
Anyone know about getting to the beach via bus? Thanks!

Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Beach? What beach? Do you mean like a sandy beach full of bikini-clad teenagers and buff dudes spiking volleyballs over nets? This isn't San Diego, you know. Most of the coast along the northern half of the state is quite rocky, and chilly, foggy weather prevails even in summer. Have you even looked at a map of Eureka? Arcata Bay is protected by a coastal bar (Samoa peninsula), which has a navy base at the end of it. Much of downtown Eureka is right on the bay and there is a boardwalk there that runs along saltwater. But as far as coastal recreation goes, I think most Eurekans head up to Trinidad State Park north of McKinleyville if they want to play at the ocean and walk among the rocks. But you'd have to drive. Eureka/Arcata is a fairly compact blob of isolated urbanization. Once you get south of Harris St. or north of HSU, Humboldt County rapidly becomes a VERY rural part of the state.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
What he said. It's popular up here to bike to Samoa, or you can take a bike on the RTA buses and ride up to Trinidad. People here go to the beach to watch the sunset, not to bask in the sun. If you're going to surf, bring a wetsuit.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:57 AM

Thanks for the info, even though it was harsh.

I am originally from WA state fully aware of foggy, cold weather, with rocky beaches. Did I say I wanted a sandy beach with bikini-clad folks? I hardly see how I could have possibly touched a nerve with my innocuous question, but I guess I did.

Z

Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I don't think either post was "harsh".

Old 07-26-2013, 07:01 PM

Eureka, your post was fine, Steve's was clearly rude.

Z

Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Us southern Californians are much more tolerant and laid back then one of the responders on this thread.

Now perhaps the OP understands the disdain NC and SC people have for each other.

Sheesh - all the man asked is how to get to the water using public transportation - there is no need to be presumptive and judgmental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California