Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 01:28 PM

15 posts, read 45,870 times

Advertisements

Hello! In doing TONS of research to aid in our relocation efforts, I came across Mission Canyon, Santa Barbara as a viable option. It scores a high livability score (proximity to commerce, safety, etc.) But I would love to hear some "locals" opinions. Also, any other SB neighborhoods anyone would like to recommend. Please keep in mind we are not millionaires Our income would be roughly $150,000-$200,000. There are only two of us (early 40's), professionals, we like to be close to entertainment, dining, etc, and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 01:30 AM

15 posts, read 59,499 times
I think mission canyon is actually a pretty good choice considering the home prices are just highly insane instead f'ing out of this world ridiculous. It's also away from the traffic, crime and tourists. My gf and I want to buy a house here in the next few years and that's probably where we'll end up. I also love the Mesa but you would need to plan to spend close to a mil. Other then that SB is all it's cracked up to be. Just try to remember there are a TONNN of homeless and tourist. There is also quite the gang problem and traffic can be awful.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times
Nice area, but considered to be the highest fire risk area in the County, with a history of wildfires.

Risk, Challenge, and Choice on the Wildland Urban Interface The Santa Barbara Independent

Check to see if you can get good fire insurance. Some companies will not insure you, or charge a very high premium.

Home Insurance in high fire and brush areas in California and Idaho | Crosby and Crosby Insurance

Old 07-29-2013, 12:49 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,650,946 times
(Not a local anymore, but lived in SB for almost a decade--whether or not that ever qualified me as a local is a matter of debate.) Mission Canyon is beautiful, but still likely to be expensive, limited selection, not in a walkable area, and your selection will be limited. What's your price range? That's a healthy income, but a lot reasonably depends on how much of it you want to spend on a house, what kind of a down payment you have, etc. I've known people who, despite having a similar income, saved for years and years before having a down payment for the type of place they wanted.

Keep in mind that we're talking about Santa Barbara. From the perspective of most city dwellers, it's pretty safe. There are just a couple neighborhoods to the west and east of downtown proper that you'll probably want to avoid. I like the areas just north/west of downtown, like Oak Park, San Roque, Samarkand, and Hope. There's also Goleta. Much less exciting, not many great restaurants or entertainment options (besides outdoor pursuits, of course) and more boring suburban style houses, but still naturally beautiful, fewer tourists, generally more low key. It can make commuting to downtown a bit of a consideration (not that it's THAT far, but certainly farther than Upper State), but the express bus is an option.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Santa Barbara's "affordable hood" ... commuting from Santa Maria!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California