Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,293,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
My husband and I presently live in the Santa Monica/Brentwood area. We are both considering a move to SB. I have a few concerns though. Is it dead up there or is there a vibrancy to the community, that is bigger then its size? It seems so--great shopping, coffee shops, beautiful mission, art stores, writer's conference (I'm a writer). But I wonder do they have activities throughout the year for artists and those who enjoy the arts/films (i.e. readings, poetry readings--I'm a poet).

Is it boring living there after awhile? How easy it is to drive back and forth say if one decides to take a class once a week in LA? Or to visit friends? Is it small and incestuous, where one can not be invisible if one wants (like LA/Santa Monica)? I enjoy people but covet my privacy and individuality, can't imagine 'gong back to small town gossips and that sort of mentality' that I grew up with in small town Montana.

Also my husband is an avid golfer. What sort of access to private clubs are up there for the upper class, not the filthy rich. Does anyone have a sense of the pricing of those clubs and the ease of getting in?

I need mental stimulation as well, but wonder does the college provide extension type classes to the community that are challenging, or if not them is something available locally at all?

I run, but can't really run on sidewalks for too long. Are there paths that are softer to run on (dirt on the side of the road or a dirt path) with a view or some pleasant scenery that anyone knows of?

Lastly, I am not exactly little miss lib. I am more of a fiscal conservative, anti-illegal immigration, social conservative. Will I be able to make one friend up there or shunned as if I had leprosy?

Any feedback and thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks ahead of time. Love this site!

By the way, just because I said I was a conservative, I would love, love, a liberal point of view too on this post. I am not someone who shuns others because of their political leanings. I just one wonder if I could make a friend up there that I can be fully honest with (that person could be a liberal person too. That would depend on their ability to handle others differences).

Two I bring this up because I want to know basically that SB liberals are at least kind to others of different political leanings other then their own and not cruel, mean to their face and back stabbing later. We have plenty of liberal friends where we live, but God forbid we should ever mention anything that might lead them to believe we believe differently. I am sure some would be fine with it, albeit a little surprised, which is what I am looking for. Others in the community have made it known if you even think about leaning that way, you will be shut out instantly as if you were a child killer. So, needless to say, I am hoping for more of a respectful, balanced treatment.

I look forward to and appreciate all posts. I know I have opened a bit of a can of worms, but would like to hear more about Santa Barbara an its environs. Thanks!
This doesn't have anything to do with your request, but I'm curious. If you don't care to answer, I'll understand. What makes you a conservative? What is it about liberals that you disagree with? Why is being a conservative preferred?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 12:43 AM

642 posts, read 3,064,593 times
RomanInSF. Although I am appreciative of your questions, questioning, and grin with appreciation at your curiousity, I would like to keep this thread on focus as to the initial Santa Barbara content.

There is a political thread as you probably already know on the city-data site with many people of varied political affiliations that are interested in talking politics. There one can pick and choose from a variable gathering of political conservatives and liberals alike to discuss with. Variety is always the spice of life aye .

Thank you for your understanding and respectfulness. If you do check out the politics thread, enjoy the fray. I love that it is available on this site. It is so necessary and of great value, as are many of them, especially to us curious types . Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
This doesn't have anything to do with your request, but I'm curious. If you don't care to answer, I'll understand. What makes you a conservative? What is it about liberals that you disagree with? Why is being a conservative preferred?

Thank you.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:31 AM

110 posts, read 751,271 times
[quote=fairweathergolfer;1529168]
"Your last point about LA coming and old SB leaving, I get this sense of things as well when I am up there talking with those that have spent their lives in Santa Barbara. However right now there is still a mix and I hope the outflow stops or at least us LA types come up there for the reason you escaped to a more rural area. To enjoy the more quiet, peaceful beauty and the environs that they will honor. One can hope . Are you in the Ojai area? (That would be my pick anyway. I love, love, love that area. If I could live as you, that is where I would move.) I have yet to explore the Santa Ynez area, but I sense I am in for a delightful surprise. So many places to explore up in the SB area for me! Any recommendations?"

Yes there are still long time locals there who I expect will always remain. I am in the Santa Ynez Valley. Yes, Ojai is beautiful but sometimes gets cut off by fires, mudslides, etc. I considered it at one point but am glad I chose Santa Ynez. I love the wide open pastures with oaks, cattle, horses, sheep, lamas & of course the vineyards.

I think you will enjoy SB. There is lots to explore, both culturally & naturally. Drive up to East Camino Cielo & look at the majesty of the front country on one side of you & the backcountry on the other. Have lunch or dinner at Cold Spring Tavern for a different SB experience. Then down into the valley to visit some of the beautiful vineyards.

The beach from the Biltmore to Fernald Point is a nice run. Same with Hendry's Beach towards Hope Ranch. Restaurants, concerts, fundraising events, festivals, etc etc will keep you intrigued for a long time.

What area of SB are you thinking of living in?

Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
By the way, check out my California Coastal post. Awesome photos of SB. The photos are so excellent you can literally see the doorknobs on the beach houses.

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ne-photos.html

Here's an example:

http://www.large.images.californiacoastline.org/images/2006/large/8/200600718.JPG (broken link)

Last edited by Charles; 09-19-2007 at 08:10 AM..

Old 09-23-2007, 12:19 AM

100 posts, read 562,500 times
I moved there for a few months from NorCal, having never lived in SoCal before. I was thinking it would be a good place to move to because I knew I wanted to live in SoCal but its a lot closer than LA or anywhere else to where I lived before so it wasn't as far to go back and forth. I took a few classes at the community college and it is literally like a high school with everyone trying as hard as they can to fit in and everyone just seemed really immature, I don't think as an adult you are going to get much out of going to classes there, although I did have a few older adults in some of my classes but they seemed as if they were pursuing a degree and not there because they necessarily liked the class.

Anyways, after having moved to San Diego and been around other areas of southern California I have realized how Santa Barbara is very different from most of SoCal and yes it does, in my opinion, get boring. Its a beautiful location and has great weather but the town and surrounding areas consists mostly of very expensive houses. There isn't even a true shopping mall anywhere in the area nor is there a Target or Wal-Mart anywhere closer than Ventura (not that this is a necessity but I've just never really seen an area that was so small and exclusive to not have one of these stores somewhere nearby).

If you are well off than it may be for you but I get the impression from this place that if you aren't a millionaire or a college student than you do not fit into this place and are not welcome, at least thats the vibe I got.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:16 PM

676 posts, read 3,067,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_guy110 View Post
I moved there for a few months from NorCal, having never lived in SoCal before. I was thinking it would be a good place to move to because I knew I wanted to live in SoCal but its a lot closer than LA or anywhere else to where I lived before so it wasn't as far to go back and forth. I took a few classes at the community college and it is literally like a high school with everyone trying as hard as they can to fit in and everyone just seemed really immature, I don't think as an adult you are going to get much out of going to classes there, although I did have a few older adults in some of my classes but they seemed as if they were pursuing a degree and not there because they necessarily liked the class.

Anyways, after having moved to San Diego and been around other areas of southern California I have realized how Santa Barbara is very different from most of SoCal and yes it does, in my opinion, get boring. Its a beautiful location and has great weather but the town and surrounding areas consists mostly of very expensive houses. There isn't even a true shopping mall anywhere in the area nor is there a Target or Wal-Mart anywhere closer than Ventura (not that this is a necessity but I've just never really seen an area that was so small and exclusive to not have one of these stores somewhere nearby).

If you are well off than it may be for you but I get the impression from this place that if you aren't a millionaire or a college student than you do not fit into this place and are not welcome, at least thats the vibe I got.
You are right on the money with your assessment. I am very impressed with it coming from someone who wasn't a native to that area! I was born in SB, but also spent 10 years in Ojai, Ventura and Carpinteria. I went to SB city college as a 18-20 yr old years ago and back then I felt like I was on the set of Beverly Hills 90120 TV show or something trendy like that. I loved the school but felt so out of place and I was the "right" age. I couldn't imagine going there as an adult. If you are middle class, the lack of discount shopping drove me nuts. There is a crappy Walmart and Sears, otherwise you had to go to Ventura or Santa Maria for big box shopping. Running errands and living in the "bowels" of Santa Barbara wasn't as glamorous or convenient for a middle class person. I always felt it was an area for rich, college or poor with some older middle-aged people who got lucky and bought houses 20+ years ago. By the time I hit my 30's with a husband and baby I knew it was time to leave. Have you ever tried to have a baby without a Target or Babies R US nearby??? If I wasn't middle-class, I would have loved to remain where I grew up. It is a great area, boring at times, but a nice escape from the rest of SoCal. If you can afford it, you will love it. I really miss the great mountains and beaches.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:49 PM

110 posts, read 751,271 times
I went to SBCC as an adult & then transfered to UCSB, graduated & went on to graduate school. There is a large adult population attending SBCC which is rated as one of the top 2 year colleges & in many ways was superior to UCSB which ranks very high. SBCC generally has better teachers. I did not notice the BH element very much but maybe I was too busy studying & working.

I raised a child in SB without once thinking about the lack of big box stores (although my income was far below middleclass at the time). I'm not sure that is everyone's priority is discount shopping but if so, SB is not the right place for you. BTW there is no WalMart in SB, you are probably thinking of KMart.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:31 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,109,736 times
I had friends who moved to Santa Barbara and loved it. Of course, they were members of Rancheros Visitadores and were into the horsey things. From talking to them, I almost got the feeling that you needed to be quite wealthy and into political/civic organizations to have a lot of friends around there. I don't know if this is true or not, but I'm sure being "connected" would probably enhance your experience of living there.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,269 times
OK I have lived in SB for 17 years. If you are fortunate and blessed to live there and can afford to live there this is paradise. If you want to go visit La it is close. As for Ojai well that is NOT santa barbara.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:05 PM

12 posts, read 27,738 times
I have "lived" in Santa Barbara for 32 years............We can't wait to leave. We are Oregon bound, where REAL people live......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California