Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 05:55 PM

642 posts, read 3,064,023 times

Advertisements

My husband and I presently live in the Santa Monica/Brentwood area. We are both considering a move to SB. I have a few concerns though. Is it dead up there or is there a vibrancy to the community, that is bigger then its size? It seems so--great shopping, coffee shops, beautiful mission, art stores, writer's conference (I'm a writer). But I wonder do they have activities throughout the year for artists and those who enjoy the arts/films (i.e. readings, poetry readings--I'm a poet).

Is it boring living there after awhile? How easy it is to drive back and forth say if one decides to take a class once a week in LA? Or to visit friends? Is it small and incestuous, where one can not be invisible if one wants (like LA/Santa Monica)? I enjoy people but covet my privacy and individuality, can't imagine 'gong back to small town gossips and that sort of mentality' that I grew up with in small town Montana.

Also my husband is an avid golfer. What sort of access to private clubs are up there for the upper class, not the filthy rich. Does anyone have a sense of the pricing of those clubs and the ease of getting in?

I need mental stimulation as well, but wonder does the college provide extension type classes to the community that are challenging, or if not them is something available locally at all?

I run, but can't really run on sidewalks for too long. Are there paths that are softer to run on (dirt on the side of the road or a dirt path) with a view or some pleasant scenery that anyone knows of?

Lastly, I am not exactly little miss lib. I am more of a fiscal conservative, anti-illegal immigration, social conservative. Will I be able to make one friend up there or shunned as if I had leprosy?

Any feedback and thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks ahead of time. Love this site!

By the way, just because I said I was a conservative, I would love, love, a liberal point of view too on this post. I am not someone who shuns others because of their political leanings. I just one wonder if I could make a friend up there that I can be fully honest with (that person could be a liberal person too. That would depend on their ability to handle others differences).

Two I bring this up because I want to know basically that SB liberals are at least kind to others of different political leanings other then their own and not cruel, mean to their face and back stabbing later. We have plenty of liberal friends where we live, but God forbid we should ever mention anything that might lead them to believe we believe differently. I am sure some would be fine with it, albeit a little surprised, which is what I am looking for. Others in the community have made it known if you even think about leaning that way, you will be shut out instantly as if you were a child killer. So, needless to say, I am hoping for more of a respectful, balanced treatment.

I look forward to and appreciate all posts. I know I have opened a bit of a can of worms, but would like to hear more about Santa Barbara an its environs. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 12:23 PM

98 posts, read 603,788 times
Well, I can't answer all your questions because I don't actually live in Santa Barbara, but am not too far from there. Seems like there is always something going on in Santa Barbara, especially on the weekends. It's a very busy city. I can't imagine it being "incestuous" as it is not a particularily small place, but again, I don't live there. As far as the arts, if Santa Barbara does not have enough for you, there is always Ojai which is very artsy, not far away, and is also known for its golf courses. I hope some of the people who actually reside in Santa Barbara would be willing to post some more in-depth replies.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:35 PM

Thank you for your thoughts. I love Ojai. I am a city girl so I couldn't live there full time, but we vacation there all the time and I just had a girlfriend move there that loves horses. I am excited to hear about the artsy stuff going on there. I had no idea. I must check that out. .

Old 09-17-2007, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 41,100 times
Smile santa barbara bound

My husband and I graduated from UCSB way back when in 1974, and moved to Mission Viejo where we raised 3 sons. We have never gotten over our love of Santa Barbara and are planning our move back there within the next year. Not living there now, I have a hard time answering all of your questions re the city, however, our oldest son lives there.
I love to walk, and I could enjoy walking in the Botanical Gardens on a daily basis, not to mention the great walking areas along the beaches and through the wonderful city streets.
There is an abundance of cultural activities up there, whether out at UCSB or within the city limits.
As for golf, there seems to be only one club, however, the courses such as Sandpiper are incredible, as are many more courses north of the city near Los Olivos, as well as those within Goleta and SB. I do not play golf, but my husband and son do and they are quite happy with the courses.
The coffee houses and restaurants are abundant and the scenic beauty outstanding.
The price of homes is the choker, and we are busy dumping material goods to make the move, in hopes that we are buying a better quality of life.
We are moving out of Orange County where cement seems to be the dominant resource.
I hope you make a decision based on what is best for your lifestyle, but we are on the way. We only wish that we had done this many years ago

Old 09-18-2007, 12:26 AM

110 posts, read 751,098 times
If you are coming from LA area you will love SB.

I lived in SB for 3 decades & moved away but not too far, because it had become too city like & congested for me to live in. My quality of life depends on wide open spaces & an abundance of critters. And the arts.

There is a dizzying array of cultural activities every day of the week. Restaurants don't stay open as late as LA or NY but there are good ones.

There are conservatives and liberals depending on who you hang out with. I think we put too much empasis on this kind of thing. But you'd probably peg me as a liberal. Can you afford Montecito or Hope Ranch? That is where you might find the sort of friends I think you are looking for.

There are private golf & tennis clubs. Some are expensive & in SB it is not what you know but who you know & sometimes the waitlist is long.

There are many LA transplants from the entertainment industry who have moved to SB & some commute when they need to.

There is a great writers conference & annual film fest. The colleges (UCSB & SBCC Ad Ed) have a wide range of classes.

One more piece of advice- SB is a town of wealth & is also a town of charity. If you are so inclined it is the best way for you to meet friends.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:34 AM

PS, maybe what i miss the most about SB is that the best place to run is on the sand at low tide

Old 09-18-2007, 07:52 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
My husband and I presently live in the Santa Monica/Brentwood area. But I wonder do they have activities throughout the year for artists and those who enjoy the arts/films (i.e. readings, poetry readings--I'm a poet).

Is it boring living there after awhile? How easy it is to drive back and forth say if one decides to take a class once a week in LA? Or to visit friends? Is it small and incestuous, where one can not be invisible if one wants (like LA/Santa Monica)? I enjoy people but covet my privacy and individuality, can't imagine 'gong back to small town gossips and that sort of mentality' that I grew up with in small town Montana.

Also my husband is an avid golfer. What sort of access to private clubs are up there for the upper class, not the filthy rich. Does anyone have a sense of the pricing of those clubs and the ease of getting in?

I need mental stimulation as well, but wonder does the college provide extension type classes to the community that are challenging, or if not them is something available locally at all?

I run, but can't really run on sidewalks for too long. Are there paths that are softer to run on (dirt on the side of the road or a dirt path) with a view or some pleasant scenery that anyone knows of?

Lastly, I am not exactly little miss lib. I am more of a fiscal conservative, anti-illegal immigration, social conservative. Will I be able to make one friend up there or shunned as if I had leprosy?

Any feedback and thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks ahead of time. Love this site!

By the way, just because I said I was a conservative, I would love, love, a liberal point of view too on this post. I am not someone who shuns others because of their political leanings. I just one wonder if I could make a friend up there that I can be fully honest with (that person could be a liberal person too. That would depend on their ability to handle others differences).

Two I bring this up because I want to know basically that SB liberals are at least kind to others of different political leanings other then their own and not cruel, mean to their face and back stabbing later. We have plenty of liberal friends where we live, but God forbid we should ever mention anything that might lead them to believe we believe differently. I am sure some would be fine with it, albeit a little surprised, which is what I am looking for. Others in the community have made it known if you even think about leaning that way, you will be shut out instantly as if you were a child killer. So, needless to say, I am hoping for more of a respectful, balanced treatment.

I look forward to and appreciate all posts. I know I have opened a bit of a can of worms, but would like to hear more about Santa Barbara an its environs. Thanks!
Golf course information and college extension courses information is all over the place on the internet. Questions about liberals and mean people and whether or not you can make friends are so subjective that you could get a hundred different types of answers from people who will tell you what you want to hear. How do you measure how "gossipy" people are? You asked about how easy it was to drive to LA. SB only about a 90 minute drive north; I'm sure you have driven there before and felt the place out, right?

Old 09-18-2007, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 49,005 times
Default pros and cons

If you like Santa Monica I doubt you will like Santa Barbara. Depends what your looking for. I've lived in both places. I wanted out of the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles.
I like it quieter with a small town feel. If that's not your cup of tea then it's not the right place for you. I've known a group of my friends who moved and stayed and another group who moved back to Brentwood because S.B. was just to rural for them and they though they were too hip for here.
S.B. truly does not want L.A. folks with L.A. attitudes. It doesn't go over well here. If you can't leave your pretense at the door then this place won't work for you. On the other hand, if your ready to relax, enjoy the day and just be yourself then you'll fit in. S.B. has a number of Hollyweird types here already like Costner, Oprah and others so they must have found something they liked, maybe you will too.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:37 PM

I left SB because it felt like it had turned into LA. Which is what we always suspected would happen eventually. That is why I think people from LA love SB now. Many SB folk are leaving & many LA folk are arriving.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:43 PM

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts, experience, and general input. It is always fun when a dead ole' thread--such as this one written way back in October--is revived. An unexpected but pleasant surprise.

Sbbound. Good luck to you and keep me posted or pm me if you like. It will be fun to see how it all unfolds. We may be making an offer on a home in the coming weeks so I may be a decent resource for you on here (if needed) in the next year if we make the move. Sounds as though you and I could spend some time walking in the same places. I loved your descriptions and ideas. These are just some of the things that attract me to Santa Barbara as well. I like your thinking . I am done with concrete and mass cars everwhere I go. What an exciting and bold move you and your honey are making. Good for you.

eekwine. Wide open spaces and critters sound perfect . I always admire people who have enough peace within themselves that they can live in an outward state of solitude longer. I admire and envy you and love that you left SB for a more rural space. In a way what you left is a bit of what I desire. Yet I also desire to participate in all that you listed, including the run on the beach at low tide (I appreciate the tip). Heaven.

Your last point about LA coming and old SB leaving, I get this sense of things as well when I am up there talking with those that have spent their lives in Santa Barbara. However right now there is still a mix and I hope the outflow stops or at least us LA types come up there for the reason you escaped to a more rural area. To enjoy the more quiet, peaceful beauty and the environs that they will honor. One can hope . Are you in the Ojai area? (That would be my pick anyway. I love, love, love that area. If I could live as you, that is where I would move.) I have yet to explore the Santa Ynez area, but I sense I am in for a delightful surprise. So many places to explore up in the SB area for me! Any recommendations?

Charles. Mr. Fiesty . Why did I find myself thinking when I read your post, "Would you rather be right then happy?" But I think with you the two are conjoined. LOL. So yeah. I am sure on many accounts you are correct. I could find some of this information on the internet and other answers will be subjective as if one is answering about beauty, but it is so much more to hear from real people and their perspectives--much more fun. Aren't we having fun? LOL. You know I wish you still lived in the SB area, I am sure you are a hoot. I saw that picture of the guy with the middle finger in the car with the contrasting scene! Right decision! That dude wasn't from SB was he?

tennisone (Tennyson-- i couldn't resist) I grew up in a small town, so I am a bit reactionary around some of the non-big city oriented life. Honestly the idea of moving to a small town terrifies me. Yet SB is a city compared to where I was raised and it is lovely, as well as stimulating in the critical areas I believe. It may be too slow at times for me and not have enough variety at others as you mentioned. But if there is a lot to do physically (exercise wise), movies, great restaurants, architecturally lovely churches, flowers and plants, beautiful sunset walks or drives along the water and gardening and hardware stores to wander in I may be fine. Please do confirm though that people do on occasion dress well or nicely or with a sense of subtle touches of beauty or elegance. THIS I could not live without. Although people throwing on their sweats (and maybe a cowboy or baseball hat) for an ice cream or shopping extravaganza sounds good too. :-)

My biggest problem with LA has been not being able to relax. I am not a pretentious type. Although I can fake it in a pinch , but who knows sometimes this LA stuff attaches to ones shoe without our knowing. LOL. Hip. Some need the externals. Some of us just are no matter where we live or how we live. :-) I think it is hip to not be attached to LA at the hip and have options like training it to Oakland or flying to Portland, or driving up to Carmel. Then come home to paradise. That sounds hip to me .

What you describe sounds nice--relaxing, enjoying the day, being oneself. I do that here in LA and then that damn driver nearly runs me over. . . and well I will say no more most all have been there.

Thanks all for sharing your perspectives and taking the time to post.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 09-19-2007 at 12:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California