Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 12:36 AM

68 posts, read 117,213 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are going to Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks this weekend and were looking for some recommendations on things to do. We're both big into hiking and photography. Additionally, my wife was hoping that there would be some lake we could at least wade in.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:14 AM

115 posts, read 228,692 times
Hi,

I was just there visiting a few weeks ago with family who live in the area...it was my first time as well. We were mostly in King's Canyon, and it was absolutely magnificent. Of course the big trees are worth seeing (General Grant and Sherman, etc.), but if you're looking for amazing scenery and hiking, etc. off the beaten path, it's well worth going far in away from the more touristy stuff. We went to the Cedar Grove area, and just past it near where the road dead-ends there are secluded picnic areas near the Kings River where you can play in the river. We stopped at a place that had one picnic table right next to the river, and no one else was anywhere nearby. Right now the river level is very low due to the lack of rain, so it's great to go in (normally the current would be too strong). My 2 year old son had a blast playing in the shallow part of the river near the edge. If you go all the way to the end, you get to an area where you need wilderness permits to continue (basically you park and continue on foot). Lots of great backcountry hiking if that's your thing. As far as lakes, there's Hume Lake which is very nice. We passed it but didn't have time to stop. It's one of the more popular outdoor activity areas there. We didn't get the chance to see/do too much overall since we could only be there a few hours.

Have a wonderful trip!!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:27 PM

68 posts, read 117,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLA74 View Post
Hi,

I was just there visiting a few weeks ago with family who live in the area...it was my first time as well. We were mostly in King's Canyon, and it was absolutely magnificent. Of course the big trees are worth seeing (General Grant and Sherman, etc.), but if you're looking for amazing scenery and hiking, etc. off the beaten path, it's well worth going far in away from the more touristy stuff. We went to the Cedar Grove area, and just past it near where the road dead-ends there are secluded picnic areas near the Kings River where you can play in the river. We stopped at a place that had one picnic table right next to the river, and no one else was anywhere nearby. Right now the river level is very low due to the lack of rain, so it's great to go in (normally the current would be too strong). My 2 year old son had a blast playing in the shallow part of the river near the edge. If you go all the way to the end, you get to an area where you need wilderness permits to continue (basically you park and continue on foot). Lots of great backcountry hiking if that's your thing. As far as lakes, there's Hume Lake which is very nice. We passed it but didn't have time to stop. It's one of the more popular outdoor activity areas there. We didn't get the chance to see/do too much overall since we could only be there a few hours.

Have a wonderful trip!!
Thanks for all the info! That secluded picnic area near the Kings River sounds amazing!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:44 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
Moro Rock Trail | Sequoia | Hikespeak.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: