Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I was referring to the price point that was mentioned, that is $165k, you're not going to get a nice new home for that price in a major city in Texas. The Dallas home you're pointing to is hideous....but also on the fringe of the city.

In any case, I don't think anybody has denied that homes in Texas are cheaper....but people usually exaggerate the price differences by comparing apples-to-oranges. The desirable areas of Dallas, Austin, etc are expensive....for example $450,000 will get you something relatively small in central Austin.
Again you have no idea.

All UNDER $100,000.00 and far better than the much more expensive Sun Valley home I listed. These are from different areas as well, not just one.

Gospel Dr, Dallas, TX 75237 - Zillow

9914 Crystal Valley Way, Dallas, TX 75227 - Zillow

Brierwood Ln, Dallas, TX 75217 - Zillow

Here are a couple of homes listed at $165,000.00

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...26743260_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/70...67964061_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 03:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Another example, of industry after industry is fleeing California. The movie/tv industry.

Los Angeles losing the core of its TV production to other states - Los Angeles Times

TV, film jobs leave California in a rush

Eric Garcetti: Mayor Help Slow Film, TV Production Leaving Hollywood | Variety

Old 08-27-2013, 05:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
From the second link:

"But as the state's elected officials continue to address a $42 billion shortfall, Krekorian said he plans to reintroduce legislation that would provide the entertainment industry with filming incentives in California. During the budget discussions, the leaders of the Assembly and Senate have discussed the possibility of a filming incentive package as part of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's economic stimulus plan, Krekorian said"

Wait .... I thought the budget problem was fixed.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:06 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
The big problem in the film industry is many states give tax incentives while other countries actually pay giant tax subsidies of direct cash payments. Canada, New Zealand, and Singapore right now are all offering very large cash subsidies so it is hard for place which don't offer subsidies to compete with those which do.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
Quote:
Lets imagine if you will, I want to establish a new manufacturing plant in the U.S. I am a company headquartered in the Silicon Valley. I am going to hire 1,500 people at good wages. The product will sell for $400 retail, for $300 wholesale. It has already been costed out, and will cost $250 to manufacture in Los Angeles Ca.

Why would I want to put that plant in California?

Why should I put it someplace else?

What are the reasons for and against putting it in Los Angeles.

That is the problem company execs face every day. Lets look at real reasons for your decision, not just use your emotions. Look at it like a hard nosed businessman.

Maybe you should ask this guy:

Sriracha Factory Opens in Irwindale | The San Marino Tribune

Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM

Or maybe these guys:
Railcar Maker to Hire 150 in Palmdale | Los Angeles Business Journal

Maybe the Mouse has answers?
Supervisors OK Disney

Unless these companies are just run by stupid people.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
But they are leaving and taking more jobs with them, than are starting up and hiring people. Move to Texas from California and cut your cost of doing business 40%

Exodus: California Tax Revenue Plunges by 22%

Forbes Magazine says: California ranks as the third worst state in the country in terms of job migration with a net outflow of jobs that is one percentage point greater than the flow of jobs into the state. When comparing the ratio of jobs created by new businesses compared to jobs eliminated by firms going under, California ranks 34th.

Broken California: Wasting Money and Hurting Business - Forbes

73,000 fewer businesses in California by end of 2012 than the year before.

Why Are California's Businesses Disappearing? - Businessweek

A chart that will show when they were fleeing to California and where they are now fleeing to.

This Revealing Chart Shows You Exactly What the Calif. Exodus Looks Like | TheBlaze.com

California's Disappearing Businesses

Companies Bid Farewell to California | Interviews | Varney & Company

A few jobs open up when a few companies go to California and open a small plant. But even faster, they are leaving the state.

This thread is not to discuss companies leaving, but to open some eyes and the peoples start demanding the type of changes that will bring back companies and the jobs they are taking out of the state.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I do like the screaming chicken (our local nick name for Sriracha) but I admit I would quickly defect if they opened up a Nando's selling their Peri Peri Sauce.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
This is a niche that makes sense. The logistics involved preclude anything more than 100 miles from Moorpark.

Now, run the numbers for a state of the art, high volume wafer fab, or a major plating facility.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
This thread is not to discuss companies leaving, but to open some eyes and the peoples start demanding the type of changes that will bring back companies and the jobs they are taking out of the state.
Your original post asked "why would I open a new factory in California/L.A.?"

I just pointed out that there ARE businesses opening factories in L.A.

The problem is that California is not a cheap place to do business for a multitude of reasons -- land prices are high, we have OSHA laws, environmental laws, there are taxes, etc etc etc.

If you are going to open a factory that produces a widget, and the widget can be produced anywhere, you won't do it in California. The land is too expensive when you can open the same factory in Bumf*ck Texas for 1/2 the price. And the COL is high for the workers you'd want to hire.

However, if you need access to the raw materials and the ports for distribution (new sriracha factory uses locally sourced chili peppers and ships out of LA/LB ports), need access to a huge pool of creative class (new Disney Santa Clarita studios), or want access to a huge market that requires locally sourced products (the new Palmdale rail car plant), you build/develop in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California