Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 01:30 PM

54 posts, read 110,808 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am looking to relocate from Florida to California in the coming month or so. I have a 4 year old with me and wanted to inquire about Pre-K programs in CA. In Florida currently there is a program called Voluntary Pre-K (VPK for short) program that allows all children to do their last year of preschool for free (Link).

Is there such program in California? I've tried searching Google but I haven't found anything really promising in the results...

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 02:10 PM

264 posts, read 831,253 times
Pre-k is now offered to kids whose birthday falls after a certain date in my area of CA (for those kids who didn't quite make the cutoff for kindergarten)--this year it is Oct 1st...and that date will eventually get bumped to Sept 1st by 2014 I believe. I'm not sure if all districts offer free pre-k...I was told by a friend that her district in Fremont is charging $500 a month for those who want to get their child into the pre-k program. I know in my district in Morgan Hill, pre-k is free for oct-dec birthdays. Just call around, or do some online searching on the district web pages.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:17 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingRoomOnly View Post
Pre-k is now offered to kids whose birthday falls after a certain date in my area of CA (for those kids who didn't quite make the cutoff for kindergarten)--this year it is Oct 1st...and that date will eventually get bumped to Sept 1st by 2014 I believe. I'm not sure if all districts offer free pre-k...I was told by a friend that her district in Fremont is charging $500 a month for those who want to get their child into the pre-k program. I know in my district in Morgan Hill, pre-k is free for oct-dec birthdays. Just call around, or do some online searching on the district web pages.
It's called transitional kindergarten - here's some info Transitional Kindergarten FAQs - Elementary (CA Dept of Education). In our school district (which has only 1/2 day kindergarten and transitional kindergarten) if you wish your child to remain a full day you have to pay the childcare fee for the remainder of the day.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Many of the schools call it Junior Kindergarten, or 2-year Kindergarten. It started as a place to put the 4-year-olds that met the age cutoff but were not ready to start school. Other kids can join when they turned 5, if there is room.

As the cutoff date progressively gets earlier, there are fewer kids that qualify. I'm not sure how they will handle the change when the cutoff date moves to the beginning of September.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:33 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Look into the program 'Head Start'. So far every place I've been has had it.
I figure if you are wanting something free, you have a limited income. This is a program just for that. The offer more than just a pre-school setting for your child, there is family support as well.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:17 AM

54 posts, read 110,808 times
Hello everyone, thank you very much for your comments! I've looked into the transitional kindergarten program and yes, it is exactly was I was speaking about. Florida's VPK is also a half day free system.

However! The sad thing is that California's program cut off dates are for kids born Sept 1 to Dec 2 and my daughter was born Dec 3rd

So now that I have their contact info I will call them and try to figure out what to do.

Thanks again!

Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Ask about signing your daughter up when she turns five on Dec 3rd. I think if there is room they will take her then.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,826 times
The wording is kind of quirky - Transitional Kindergarten FAQs - Elementary (CA Dept of Education) #35 addresses transitional kindy age.

"Can children who turn five years old after December 2 start transitional kindergarten at the beginning of the school year?
No. Pursuant to law, (EC 48000[c]), a child is eligible for transitional kindergarten if a child will have his or her fifth birthday between:

For the 2013-14 school year October 2 and December 2
For the 2014-15 school year and each school year thereafter September 2 and December 2.
The law also provides for local school districts to enroll children in TK or kindergarten on or after their fifth birthday, on a case by case basis:

EC 48000(b), "The governing board of a school district maintaining one or more kindergartens may, on a case-by-case basis, admit to a kindergarten a child having attained the age of five years at any time during the school year with the approval of the parent or guardian, subject to the following conditions:

(1) The governing board determines that the admittance is in the best interests of the child.

(2) The parent or guardian is given information regarding the advantages and disadvantages and any other explanatory information about the effect of this early admittance."

Call your local school district.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:50 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Your child can still get into Head Start. They start at 3 in most locations.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 7,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
Hello everyone,

I am looking to relocate from Florida to California in the coming month or so. I have a 4 year old with me and wanted to inquire about Pre-K programs in CA. In Florida currently there is a program called Voluntary Pre-K (VPK for short) program that allows all children to do their last year of preschool for free (Link).

Is there such program in California? I've tried searching Google but I haven't found anything really promising in the results...

Thank you for your help!

Hi, we're moving to the area of ​​san francisco, california. and let me know if there is any vpk program, my son is 4 years. May the fulfilled, he was going to start the program in August vpk here in Florida. but now not moving. someone help me

thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California