Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

State not doing enough to keep guns from mentally ill, audit says - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
One of the reasons there are waiting periods is to preclude any "in heat of passion" purchases.

Do you need me to explain for you what that means?
A person in the heat of passion doesn't walk into a gun store to buy a gun, they get one somewhere else or use something else.

For example, look at the multiple murders in California, often they use weapons other than guns. Now take as examples the mass murders/shootings. They are planned and a waiting period has no effect.

Waiting periods have no effect, they are feel good laws that accomplish very little in the way of public safety. If waiting periods were effective, then why are there so many heat of passion killings in California? If the heat of passion killings no longer involve a gun, then guns weren't the problem to begin with.

I note there are no laws for waiting period to preclude other types of heat of passion killings. Why is that?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Ask the legislator who wrote the law and the governor who signed it why there's not an exclusion for subsequent purchases. Perhaps it's because the CA DOJ can't come up with instant answers on a background check regarding subsequent criminality. I don't know.
The law is about revenue, not preventing crimes involving guns. There is a reason why the same logic or lack thereof used to enact gun control laws isn't applied in other circumstances. California as a state could save many lives if they simply made it illegal for a person once convicted of a DUI to drive a motor vehicle in the state. It would be a fairly simple law and with tens of thousands of police officers patrolling the roadways, enforcement is already in place. Alternatively, mark their driver license and make it illegal for a business selling alcohol beverages to any person with a driver license so marked.

The arguments almost always involve the difficulty in enforcing such a law. How so would it be any more difficult than when someone walks into a gun store to buy a gun and a driver license used to check for a criminal record or other precluding criteria?

If that presents too much of a challenge, how about a 2 week waiting period to buy an alcoholic beverage for a person convicted of a DUI? What about bars and such where instant service is available? They check ID now don't they? Everything is already in place.

Revenue is the answer. Gun laws involving registration involve revenue generation more than they involve gun control.

I know, the "another drunk driver analogy" but what I've explained is quite different. If you can think of any reason why such a law would not work, it also applies to gun waiting period laws in California.

In the end, either life is precious to the state or it isn't. Guns are targeted not because so many people are killed or injured where guns are involved but because of the high profile some have made the issue.

Millions of children are poisoned every year. Somehow, the miracles of brain power that dream up gun control laws can't figure out how to prevent child poisonings, pedophilia, drunk drivers, multiple murders involving other weapons, rape or just about any other thing that injures or kills people. Somehow there is always an excuse not to do those things. Why is that?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Golf clubs are made to hit a ball.
Shoes are for feet.
Knives are for cutting food.

Guns are for killing with the greatest of ease.

Come up with a rationale for gun obsession. Not to mention what's up with your lobby's guru:
Very convenient, you first categorize owning a gun as gun obsession and then ask someone to defend it. That implies an agreement on the part of the person defending gun ownership that it is an obsession.

Nice try.

The Anshutz 1413 was never designed or sold for the purposes of killing anything. The same can be said of many firearms.

If guns are for killing with the greatest of ease, why do so many people choose weapons other than guns? Is it because they want the killing to be difficult? I doubt it.

Knives are for cutting food? Really. Are there not different types of knives manufactured throughout the world, including right in California?

How convenient it must be for the mind that says a 15" double edged knife with a blood grove was meant or designed to cut food yet rationalizes that all guns are meant for killing. Would that perhaps include cannibalism in the equation?

Using the very same logic you've displayed, cannot the reverse be true, that all knives are meant for killing and that by the sheer numbers of knives being owned simply dismiss the crimes in which knives are used to kill people?

The going down that same road, how can you rationalize the fact that relatively few people are killed using guns compared to the number of guns owned? You see, either you can be honest about your intentions or you have to retreat to single line thinking wherein the ends justify the means.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Default you need to read what you just wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I do believe in the right to bear arms - even though I'm a democrat. I think it's important for terrorists and other countries hostile to the US to know that the entire country is armed. I believe it keeps us safe.

I don't have a problem with people having to get safety training for long guns, as well as handguns. I've always thought it was weird that anybody could get a shotgun without learning how to use it safely.

As far as banning weapons with multiple bullets, and assault weapons...if it makes it easier for police to arrest dangerous gang members and/or terrorists, then I'm not against giving police another way to help clean up violent criminals.

I definitely don't want a total ban on guns. Then only the criminals, bullies and terrorists will have them. As i said before, I like knowing that any guy trying to get into my house, for instance, can't know for sure I'm not armed. It's insurance, in my opinion, that Joe Public needs.
criminals are not going to give up large mags just cause the law says so

Old 10-30-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
If guns are for killing with the greatest of ease, why do so many people choose weapons other than guns?
Do they? Read back on this thread.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Do they? Read back on this thread.
Yes, they do.

Here, why not do some reading?

Death Statistical Data Tables

Note the methods and means of killing (and forget not that suicide is one of the ultimate forms of crime of passion)

Combined, more people choose something other than a gun to kill. Almost 3 times as many use something other than a gun to kill themselves. If using a gun was so easy I guess a lot of people want to do it the hard way.

Also, note the leading causes of deaths and then how little is actually being done to reduce them. Lets not confuse high profiles and emotions with reality.

Now, you were saying?

Old 10-30-2013, 12:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Knives are for cutting food.
Or the throats of little kids.

Man who stabbed mother, 4 children reportedly was jealous of their lifestyle | Fox News

Old 10-30-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Here, why not do some reading?
Your link gives 25-30 more links to # of deaths by race, age, type, year, education level, then broken down by county....

Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Your link gives 25-30 more links to # of deaths by race, age, type, year, education level, then broken down by county....
Indeed, lets not allows facts to enter the world of the gun control proponent.

You counted the links but passed up the once titled "Major causes of death...all races combined." 5-14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California