Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I do believe in the right to bear arms - even though I'm a democrat. I think it's important for terrorists and other countries hostile to the US to know that the entire country is armed. I believe it keeps us safe.

I don't have a problem with people having to get safety training for long guns, as well as handguns. I've always thought it was weird that anybody could get a shotgun without learning how to use it safely.

As far as banning weapons with multiple bullets, and assault weapons...if it makes it easier for police to arrest dangerous gang members and/or terrorists, then I'm not against giving police another way to help clean up violent criminals.

I definitely don't want a total ban on guns. Then only the criminals, bullies and terrorists will have them. As i said before, I like knowing that any guy trying to get into my house, for instance, can't know for sure I'm not armed. It's insurance, in my opinion, that Joe Public needs.
The point remains: Even the strictest "gun control" measures cannot defeat the basic instinct in many of us for individualized, rather than "collective" security, which a lot of us view as a sham.

Prohibition failed after a huge waste of resources in a "noble experiment". The marijuana prohibition is weakening, but at the same time, the private sector is increasingly free to impose its own rules via private testing and discretion in hiring. Act like a crappy citizen, and you can expect a crappy paycheck.

It's been said many times that Societal trends in California act as a predictor for the rest of the nation. If so the high cost of our frivioous experiments in statism will be first to be felt in the Golden State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
This is always the reflexive fallback argument used for this issue. Kind of advocates anarchy, no? Why bother with any laws or government at all? The criminals will just do what they want, yes?
To a point it is. Even Brown stated that most of those bills were too far over-reaching for him to sign and using that logic he shouldn't have signed but a couple of them directly aimed at mental illness, gun safes or locks.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:28 AM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
For one. I am really happy to see some fellow pro-gun folks in the CA forums.

Let me clear this up for the liberals, who think they're always right, yet see our state in decline on a daily basis

GUNS do not kill people. People do. The same way spoons don't make you fat, cars dont make you drive drunk, beer doesn't make you a drunk, etc etc.

People are in control of all these things. It's what they do with them, that makes a difference. I am a proud pro-gun/gun owner. I own all these "scary" guns the media tends to pick on. I own multiple ak's/ar15's along with other awesome toys. They are no different than any other gun.

I read one poster say "multiple bullets etc etc to help cops stop criminals" Do you really think someone out to commit a mass murder!!! cares if he breaks the law on 30rd magazines? (clips to the ignorant) NO! we have a law in affect that makes it so I have to use a tool to remove my magazine. It takes 30 seconds to take off. Do you really think a criminal cares if he takes the bullet button off? NO! So all these laws are nonsense. You guys do realize it isn't ILLEGAL to OWN a 30 round magazine? It's illegal to buy/sell/transport/ (you can legally purchase a 30rd magazine that is taken apart. It is illegal to put it together, but like I said. Do criminals really care?) or have one in a bullet buttoned rifle (aka ar-15 ak) but it is ok to have if you pin the stock, and take off the pistol grip.... Now what kind of sense does that make?

Now lets go compare our crime rate with any other state, and tell me how it makes it safer. By voting against guns, you are voting against those like myself who are law-abiding citizens. Not for thugs who are going to shoot you with that same gun, as they take your kid hostage.

Don't want to protect your family? That's a big mistake....

Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,148 times
Good.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:58 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Not for thugs who are going to shoot you with that same gun, as they take your kid hostage.
Thank you for alluding to the occurrence of your own weapon endangering those in the household. Another, of course, is Junior getting ahold of one...

Old 11-08-2013, 07:00 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Good.
Yep.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:13 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Thank you for alluding to the occurrence of your own weapon endangering those in the household. Another, of course, is Junior getting ahold of one...
What in the heck are you talking about?

Luckily for me, I have no JR. And I have a safe.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:46 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
For one. I am really happy to see some fellow pro-gun folks in the CA forums.

Let me clear this up for the liberals, who think they're always right, yet see our state in decline on a daily basis

GUNS do not kill people. People do. The same way spoons don't make you fat, cars dont make you drive drunk, beer doesn't make you a drunk, etc etc.

People are in control of all these things. It's what they do with them, that makes a difference. I am a proud pro-gun/gun owner. I own all these "scary" guns the media tends to pick on. I own multiple ak's/ar15's along with other awesome toys. They are no different than any other gun.

I read one poster say "multiple bullets etc etc to help cops stop criminals" Do you really think someone out to commit a mass murder!!! cares if he breaks the law on 30rd magazines? (clips to the ignorant) NO! we have a law in affect that makes it so I have to use a tool to remove my magazine. It takes 30 seconds to take off. Do you really think a criminal cares if he takes the bullet button off? NO! So all these laws are nonsense. You guys do realize it isn't ILLEGAL to OWN a 30 round magazine? It's illegal to buy/sell/transport/ (you can legally purchase a 30rd magazine that is taken apart. It is illegal to put it together, but like I said. Do criminals really care?) or have one in a bullet buttoned rifle (aka ar-15 ak) but it is ok to have if you pin the stock, and take off the pistol grip.... Now what kind of sense does that make?

Now lets go compare our crime rate with any other state, and tell me how it makes it safer. By voting against guns, you are voting against those like myself who are law-abiding citizens. Not for thugs who are going to shoot you with that same gun, as they take your kid hostage.

Don't want to protect your family? That's a big mistake....
It's actually legal to own a 30 round magazine with all 30 rounds available too, as long as it was purchased pre AWB in 2000.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:01 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
It's actually legal to own a 30 round magazine with all 30 rounds available too, as long as it was purchased pre AWB in 2000.
It would be interesting to see how many people still have receipts or other proofs of purchase for 20 and 30 round magazines dating back 13 or more years ago. I have them for all guns purchased but certainly not for extra magazines.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
It would be interesting to see how many people still have receipts or other proofs of purchase for 20 and 30 round magazines dating back 13 or more years ago. I have them for all guns purchased but certainly not for extra magazines.
You do not have to prove you owned them prior to 2000, the police have to prove you purchased them illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California