U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 11:57 PM

63 posts, read 143,482 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I would appreciate it if the good people of San Luis Obispo (city and county) could enlighten me with information on apartment hunting for this single female (not too young) who will be moving to work at California Men's Colony.

Not only that I am not a native California, I am a naturalized US citizen. I mean I came from the other side of the pacific ocean

I currently live in about 2 hours drive form San Francisco.

Here are the things I would like about San Luis Obispo:
-Weather/Climate (A LOT)
- Cal Poly (At my age, it depends on what the university offers)
- Quietness of the city (to a certain point)

Things I will miss:
Easy access to a shopping mall
Choice variety of restaurants
A Dealership that services Subaru

I am primarily posting here to get suggestion where (which area) to rent an apartment that will be not too far to commute to work and not too far to the city of San Luis Obispos (if possible).

An ideal 1-bed, 1-bath apartment (condo is ok too; can be 2-bed, 2-bath if not too expensive) would have the following features:
- washer/dryer connection (if I must take washer/dryer that comes with it, so be it).
- bedroom and living area are not too small
- bathroom has a good size bathtub

My concerns are
- safety
- quality of people (no noise of screaming and yelling in the complex)

I 'd like to know price range and location/area to rent that are not too expensive but not run down area.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 10:07 AM

7,372 posts, read 15,006,027 times
Live in town (SLO), check apartmentratings.com before you sign a lease, and never use a dealership for car service ($$$). Find a good mechanic by word of mouth. You can ask at car rental agencies who they use, but get lots of opinions first.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:01 PM

63 posts, read 143,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Live in town (SLO), check apartmentratings.com before you sign a lease, and never use a dealership for car service ($$$). Find a good mechanic by word of mouth. You can ask at car rental agencies who they use, but get lots of opinions first.

Thanks.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:34 PM

6,958 posts, read 21,214,365 times
Los Osos. Far enough from the college kids, yet close enough to be able to partake of the "city" life.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,444 times
Default Moving to area

Hello there, I, too, may be moving to area as single mom of two young boys ages almost 3 and 7. I will be working at california men's colony. Is there a good support system for single moms? I am looking for housing where good schools are close by and a good daycare. Any ideas out there? I like the area of templeton but not sure. I would like a house vs an apartment because we have dog.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:32 PM

230 posts, read 590,771 times
Hi to QueenofTwo and Manda777! I'm not sure of what you've experienced in the past, but you'll be hard-pressed to find an apartment with people screaming in it, in SLO County, unless it's student housing for Cal Poly. Any area of SLO is going to be nice for a single woman, and considering the crime rate is lower than the national average, they're pretty safe, too. Just avoid housing near Cal Poly, and some of the housing near Madonna Road, were the students also live. You'll have access to shopping in SLO, and other fun activities. There is a joke my family has about living in SLO County. No matter where you live, you're 20 minutes away from everything else. this is a good thing.

All of the schools are good. When you have a good County, with good schools, it's really what the parents and students put into it, that makes a difference for your kids. You can't go wrong with most schools. My daughters and nieces have all attended the schools in SLO County (in SLO proper, Shell Beach, Grover Beach, Los Osos, Morro Bay, and Templeton, all good!) My friend's kids have had great experiences, too.

For the renter with a pet, you'll have more luck in the North County. The rentals in SLO County are horrifically anti-pet. It's the worst place I've ever seen for that. Too many investors and out of town owners that seem to hate pets... The North County (Templeton, Atascadero, etc.) are the most accepting of pets. Little if any, apartments, will accept dogs. Templeton is an adorable place to live, with the best downtown park, great schools, a pool, and the nicest farmer's market. Also they have a Trader Joes, and are a few minutes from big shopping in Paso Robles (Kohls, JCP, Michael's, etc.)

Good areas to rent: in SLO (Outside of college areas.) Los Osos is in transition with the new sewer, but cute little houses can be found. Morro Bay is lovely, but it's very very quiet for a single person. Cayucos is wonderful, and though tiny, would be a nice beach experience. Commute from those areas would be stupidly easy.. no traffic in the least.

South County has some nice areas, but there is some slowing coming around the curve near Shell Beach, so it wouldn't be a great commute. North County. Longer commute (probably 25 minutes,) BUT you'll find more housing options, better prices, and more pet friendly overall. But the North County is hot in the summer, so be prepared for that.

There are not very many apartment buildings, like the ones you'd see on those apartment sites. Not a ton have been built anywhere in the County. It just never happened. While in other areas, you see tons of ads on CraigsList for apartment buildings offering incentives, and pet-friendly, etc., owned by corporations... you just don't see them here. There is one development like that in SLO, that has a mix of students and regular residents, near Irish Hills on Los Osos Valley Road. That might be similar to what you'd see elsewhere. But really the rental market is extremely varied.

CraigsList is the best place to start. There are also property management companies, who most often post on CL, too.

Lots of info here.. tried not to ramble too much, but wanted to answer both the inquiries.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:33 PM

230 posts, read 590,771 times
Hi,
I just answered your questions in a comment addressed to you and the original poster here. I've included info about pet friendly places, and schools. I wasn't sure if you'd be notified that someone answered your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenoftwo View Post
Hello there, I, too, may be moving to area as single mom of two young boys ages almost 3 and 7. I will be working at california men's colony. Is there a good support system for single moms? I am looking for housing where good schools are close by and a good daycare. Any ideas out there? I like the area of templeton but not sure. I would like a house vs an apartment because we have dog.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:00 PM

139 posts, read 330,254 times
If you really want to take your Sabaru to a dealership, I seem to recall that there is a Sabaru dealer in San Luis Obispo.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:50 PM

4,914 posts, read 12,045,584 times
Pismo Beach is my pick. Great restaurants, shopping, quiet, nice sunny beach and a pier, a couple bars downtown, year round city wide events, volleyball courts at the beach, bowling alley, and some wineries in price canyon. It is a bit farther from CMC though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California