Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookpik1 View Post
Tehachapi is neither "hot" nor "bone-chilling". The summers tend to be in the high 80s. The winters are so variable it is tough to pin a "typical" winter description on it. Some days are cold. Some days are warm. Some days are snowy, but it rarely sticks around for even 24 hours. Occasionally highway 58 will close briefly if it snows in the winter, but generally for only a few hours and you will have been given warning of possible road closures if you pay any attention to weather reports or news. The town has NOT fought hard for a Wal-Mart. Local small businesses are, in fact, still contesting a Wal-mart being built town. As of 2014, no Wal-mart. For your comment about small minds and little tolerance for deviance, I will say this: it tends to be a conservative community, but this varies greatly depending on where you live. If you are in Bear Valley Springs and you are tattooed from head to toe and are sporting a mohawk, yes, people are going to look at you twice and certainly think you look out of place. There are gay people living throughout Tehachapi and I have never heard of anyone who really cares one way or the other. But residents DO keep tabs on the (very few) sexual offenders. Yes, a boy was bullied and he took his own life. It is a tragedy. Sadly, things like this happen all around the nation and it is inexcusable. The public schools have implemented some changes to, hopefully, prevent anything like this from happening again.
Ookpik1, thank you for setting the record straight. I was born and raised in Tehachapi and lived there for years as an adult, and can agree with everything you stated above. There is a large faction that has fought against WalMart building in town and as you noted, has been successful thus far. To the OP, knowing what I do about Fresno I think you would be very happy to move your family to Tehachapi. If I had children and I lived in California I would want to raise them there. There are a lot of outdoor activities, it is a much more wholesome environment than Fresno (!!), and high speed internet available in most areas. There are several threads on the topic on this board. You might want to search for "Tehachapi" and read some of them... I have responded to many, myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 05:19 PM

345 posts, read 1,030,566 times
It really is an amazing, oasis-like location. Tucked away in a mountain pass between the oil/agricultural Central Valley and the desert.

Drove through there a couple years ago and was nearly blown away when I dropped down the hill (hwy 58 I think?) heading east and you immediately enter the vast emptiness of the Mojave desert. As someone who loves and appreciates the desert landscape... this was something special. How quickly the landscape made a 180 degree turn in mere minutes.

Reasonably close to LA and of course bigger cities in like Bakersfield/Lancaster etc.

Can't say whether the town is nice or not but the unique location alone is a strong selling point. In that respect it is beyond "nice"

Old 08-22-2014, 02:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo girl View Post
Small town, nice to visit but I wish I never lived there. Okay if you have a small mind and little tolerance for deviance!
I don't have a small mind, but I have little tolerance for deviance.

With that said, I don't care if a person is gay.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:33 AM

133 posts, read 274,634 times
Interesting to see old post get brought back up

Question to any "kids" that graduated from Tehachapi in the last 4-6 years. What did you do after? Did you go to Bakerfield for work/school or another place? Stay in town? What about your friends? Why did you like/hate growing up there? Visitng friends, 10 minute walk or drive? I understand that varies on if everyone lives in on of the private communities but over all?

Did you like/dislike the high school? Why?

Thanks for the extra info!

Old 10-13-2015, 10:45 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
I'm always looking at Plans A, B, C and D.

One of my scenarios is having to leave the Bay Area prior to retirement, and moving somewhere where I would work a while more, then retire in place.

Tehachapi seems to meet some of my criteria.

Regarding winter closures of the 58. I completely understand the logic. Gotta keep all the FlatLanderz with Japanese street racers with crummy no grip low profile tires from tangling with the semis and causing general mayhem. I totally get that.

My question. If the 58 is closed by the CHP, does that mean all the backroads also get closed by local authorities? Or, would the backroads remain open albeit under chain / 4WD controls?

Old 10-15-2015, 10:26 PM

245 posts, read 545,104 times
For sure it will be better than middle of nowhere Fresno. At least Tehachapi is right there halfway between Palmdale and Bakersfield, but far enough from the crime and smog those cities have. It's in the mountains, smells beautiful and just a short drive from the vast desert. I go there once a week and there is nothing nicer than a fresh crisp Tehachapi morning. I would move there if I could, so peaceful and beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California