Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:45 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Just FYI - I believe the Sacramento Valley is included in the definition of "Central Valley".

Central Valley (California) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A lot of people mean the San Joaquin when they say the Central Valley. Its geographically larger and is in a more traveled part of the state. Generally the Sacramento Valley is either called as such or referred to as Northern California. Its just my observation after living in both valleys the majority of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 12:12 AM

56 posts, read 88,051 times
Turlock, CA.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
I'm in Tulare and my vote for "best" city in the Valley would go to Clovis.

The mid sized cities like Tulare, Visalia, Porterville, and Hanford all have their good parts and bad parts, just like Bakersfield and Fresno. The only towns I'd say to avoid at all costs would be the really small ones like Earlimart, Richgrove, Cutler, and Ivanhoe, all of which are real hellholes and largely forgotten by the modern world and overrun with gangs.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM

104 posts, read 134,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I'm in Tulare and my vote for "best" city in the Valley would go to Clovis.

The mid sized cities like Tulare, Visalia, Porterville, and Hanford all have their good parts and bad parts, just like Bakersfield and Fresno. The only towns I'd say to avoid at all costs would be the really small ones like Earlimart, Richgrove, Cutler, and Ivanhoe, all of which are real hellholes and largely forgotten by the modern world and overrun with gangs.
I just checked out houses in Clovis in the net and all I can say that most areas are really beautiful. Nice neighborhood. Affordable nice homes for a single family are good here. Though I don't know much about the crime rate and schools in here.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:18 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharken View Post
I just checked out houses in Clovis in the net and all I can say that most areas are really beautiful. Nice neighborhood. Affordable nice homes for a single family are good here. Though I don't know much about the crime rate and schools in here.
Pretty low crime rate and a very good school district. Have family in the Fresno area and they made sure they raised their kids in Clovis Unified for that reason.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Does Davis count?

But yeah, I agree with other people, the delta and north of it is very nice country.

I didn't particularly mind Fresno, either... There's a certain vibe I get from valley towns - in quiet old residential areas where the trees have all grown up that I've always liked.

The real downside to the valley is the dismal economy, and all the problems that come with that. After Appalachia, the San Joaquin Valley is the poorest region in the U.S - in fact, it has been dubbed New Appalachia.
Not sure about this.....do you mean per capita income or in terms of the economy? Seems like there are other areas that would be poorer.

California still has the largest agricultural economy among the United States and much of that it is in the Central Valley.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:14 AM

194 posts, read 505,990 times
Davis, Chico, Roseville, Isleton.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Stockton.

Haters.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:34 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Not sure about this.....do you mean per capita income or in terms of the economy? Seems like there are other areas that would be poorer.

California still has the largest agricultural economy among the United States and much of that it is in the Central Valley.
Agricultural regions don't fare so well these days, and aside from that, there isn't much economy in the valley. Poverty rates are extremely high.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 PM

3,468 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Sacramento by a longshot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California