Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the worst place to live?
Los Angeles 32 10.74%
Riverside 6 2.01%
Santa Ana 4 1.34%
San Diego 0 0%
Oakland 24 8.05%
Sacramento 4 1.34%
San Francisco 9 3.02%
San Jose 1 0.34%
Fresno 23 7.72%
Oxnard 0 0%
Bakersfield 34 11.41%
Stockton 52 17.45%
Santa Rosa 0 0%
Modesto 8 2.68%
Salinas 1 0.34%
Santa Barbara 1 0.34%
Vallejo 1 0.34%
Visalia 1 0.34%
Santa Cruz 2 0.67%
San Luis Obispo 1 0.34%
Merced 2 0.67%
Chico 3 1.01%
Napa 0 0%
Redding 9 3.02%
El Centro 35 11.74%
Yuba City 1 0.34%
Madera 2 0.67%
Hanford 3 1.01%
Other 39 13.09%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:01 PM

451 posts, read 562,746 times

Advertisements

I seriously don't understand the logic to some of the places on this poll: LA, SAC, SF, SJ, SB, SD etc? All of these given places are pretty big and diverse where anyone can live in various parts of their respective city and be happy. For example, in LA you can live in the Westside, the east side, the Valley, etc depending on what you want. I can imagine it's the same for any of the other areas. Maybe my logic is flawed but there are worse WORSE places in CA.

I chose El Centro, well the entire Imperial Valley really, because there are literally no options. You're in the middle of a desert and the closest civilization is 1.5 hrs away (SD). About 4-5 months of the year it can get to 120+ degrees with humidity. Demographics are low. Nothing to do. About 95% of the restaurants are semi fast food and not very good. It is a very depressing area. The air is terrible due to the agriculture and some neighborhoods can be rampantly full of pidgeons m crapping all over the poo place. People don't generally volunteer to live here and would leave in a second if they could afford it. I had to travel here quite often a few years back and the only part I enjoyed was the drive back to LA. I would not want to imagine having to live here for even one year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 01:16 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmejustmeatya View Post
Old woman, looking to purchase the nicest, best house, anywhere in CA.......
under $100,000.
Would hope for better than a shack, and low taxes.
NO HOA,
NO Mobile Home Park,
NO Mobile Home,
NO Leased Land,
NO hauled water...

Where might this be?
Perhaps, take a look around the Yucca Valley area...
Yucca Valley Area Map

about 5 years ago there were some reasonable prices.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:24 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
I seriously don't understand the logic to some of the places on this poll: LA, SAC, SF, SJ, SB, SD etc? All of these given places are pretty big and diverse where anyone can live in various parts of their respective city and be happy. For example, in LA you can live in the Westside, the east side, the Valley, etc depending on what you want. I can imagine it's the same for any of the other areas. Maybe my logic is flawed but there are worse WORSE places in CA.

I chose El Centro, well the entire Imperial Valley really, because there are literally no options. You're in the middle of a desert and the closest civilization is 1.5 hrs away (SD). About 4-5 months of the year it can get to 120+ degrees with humidity. Demographics are low. Nothing to do. About 95% of the restaurants are semi fast food and not very good. It is a very depressing area. The air is terrible due to the agriculture and some neighborhoods can be rampantly full of pidgeons m crapping all over the poo place. People don't generally volunteer to live here and would leave in a second if they could afford it. I had to travel here quite often a few years back and the only part I enjoyed was the drive back to LA. I would not want to imagine having to live here for even one year.
Thank you. It's El Centro/Imperial Valley by miles....and I lived there for FIVE YEARS, though I could probably count on one hand the number of weekends I spent there.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:26 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Lake Elsinore

Old 06-05-2014, 05:28 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
San Bernardino-why is it missing from the list?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:32 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
I voted other

Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I voted other
Where's "other"?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
The worst place is where you have no future. That could be San Francisco or San Diego if you don't have a decent job, place to live or friends and family. The best place could be Fresno or Bakersfield if you do have those things. Its all relative.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 AM

311 posts, read 492,856 times
As a native of this fine state, I rather be in any other city than L.A. because it's getting very crowded and the people are pretty rude compared to the rest of California.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,277 times
One vote for Oakland! I went on a trip to Northern California with my family a few days ago. Everything was great until we went to Oakland. We went there to stop for a meal and litereally didn't like the place. The downtown area is not really nice, Chinatown takes up like half the downtown, streets are dirty and the everyone looked like they were having a bad day. We went to stop at a park named "Snow Park" for the restroom, and believe me, i never want to go back to that park ever again, omg! There were goose and poop everywhere, and the restroom was extremely dirty!
I think that some of the cities should NOT even be on the list, for example, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, San Jose, Oxnard and Los Angeles! I don't even know why so many people hate Los Angeles! I live in LA, and I love it! There are tons of great restarants, bars and stores, great shopping, most streets are clean, downtown area is nice, Hollywood, beaches, mountains, houses with backyards, sunshine, beautiful sunset, etc.
This is just my opinion, Oakland just left me with a bad impression, that's it. I really don't want to hate on any city. Everyone has different point of view, some of you might love Oakland and hate Los Angeles. This is just based on my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California