Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 PM

128 posts, read 183,275 times

Advertisements

-Warm all or most of the year
-Laidback, less snobby or conservative
-Within 30 min drive to ocean
-Good for young couples in late 20s-30s
-An appreciation for the arts/music
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augentier View Post
-Warm all or most of the year
-Laidback, less snobby or conservative
-Within 30 min drive to ocean
-Good for young couples in late 20s-30s
-An appreciation for the arts/music
Are you independently wealthy?

There's nowhere that's warm all year. There are areas that are more mild in the winter than others. And areas that are hotter in the summer than others. Your mildest year round temps will be at the coast, or by the Bay.

Give us a budget for housing, that will help narrow things down.

Funny, when I think of laid back, artsy towns, I still think of snobs. I find artists and musicians to be pretty snobby.

The town that came to mind is Carmel-By-The-Sea. Though, I think it may be too dull for you, not enough young folk.

Ah, I know - Berkeley! Berkeley is for you! Lots of young folk, lots of arts/music, good year round weather.

I vote Berkeley.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 PM

128 posts, read 183,275 times
Im concerned about the criteria i listed only, not money
I agree that many artists are snobby but im thinking more about desperate housewives type of snobby - materialistic.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I agree that many artists are snobby but im thinking more about desperate housewives type of snobby - materialistic.
If you were older, I'd say Carmel-By-The-Sea, of the places I know.

But for you, I really do think Berkeley is perfect, whether you are rich or poor. There is housing at both ends of the spectrum available, and that's really the art and music town in the SF Bay Area, IMO.

You've got to read this funny article. My daughter and I went to eat in Berkeley at a restaurant on the water. At the end of the street/pier, there is this amazing statue that we both thought was really cool. After we finished eating, I asked her to stop the car by the statue, so I could read the plaque and see who made it. We then googled the artist and found this story. It's epic Berkeley!

The short version is that the artist snuck the statue to the Berkeley Pier, and installed it there, then dared authorities to make him remove it. Great story. The statue is still there.

Conversations.org: Interview with Fredric Fierstein, by Richard Whittaker

Old 02-20-2014, 10:19 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Santa Barbara would fit the weather criterion, and has its artsy aspect. It's right on the ocean.

Somehow, I'd never noticed that Berkeley was an art town, particularly. Where is the art scene in Berkeley?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I think anything within 30 minutes of the ocean would fit that description actually. But is that 30 minutes with or without traffic

Old 02-21-2014, 07:03 AM

6,907 posts, read 8,282,450 times
San Luis Obispo - College Town, Cal Poly

Santa Cruz- College Town, UC Santa Cruz

Napa - But it's 1 hour drive to ocean

Davis - College Town, UC Davis, But it's 1 hour, 45 min drive to the ocean

Sacramento's Midtown- But it's 2 hour drive to ocean

Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Santa Barbara would fit the weather criterion, and has its artsy aspect. It's right on the ocean.

Somehow, I'd never noticed that Berkeley was an art town, particularly. Where is the art scene in Berkeley?
It's just where we would go as a family to museums, concerts, etc., when I was a kid, normally. On very special occasions, we'd also go to San Francisco. But, going to Berkeley was cheaper (we lived in San Leandro) - no bridge toll, cheaper parking, etc.

My last boss lives in Alameda and he mentioned many times that Berkeley is where they go for cultural events.

I'm not sure what you mean by where is the art scene? If you're talking about a particular block in town, or a particular cafe or something, I don't know. But, here are some links regarding arts and culture in Berserkly:

Berkeley's Growing Arts and Entertainment District - City of Berkeley, CA

Arts & Culture | Visit Berkeley

Berkeley street art | Berkeleyside

Berkeley Art Center

BAM/PFA - Collecting the Moment

Old 02-21-2014, 12:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Unless you are moving to TV LAND you probably won't have to worry about it.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,465,672 times
Ojai comes to mind. But it can get chilly there in the winter.

Julian - ditto. (And it's more than 30 minutes from the ocean.)

Laguna Beach, if your idea of "art" is Wyland whale paintings. The Pageant of the Masters is pretty cool though. But that's only two weeks a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California