Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 05:34 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times

Advertisements

So I was randomly browsing, and I came across this list:

Former Slavery Strongholds Harbor Majority Of Nation's Racists, Study Shows (INFOGRAPHIC)

And some of these cities "most diverse" ranking was very suspect (SF, San Jose, etc).

And after looking up the actual statistics, my suspicions were vindicated, as the articles "most diverse" cities were actually not diverse at all. What the hell was that article ranking as "diverse"?

Because if you take a look at this link:

The Most Diverse Cities In The US - Business Insider

Almost none of the top 10 cities in the huffpo article are not in the real top 10 of the most diverse cities as indicated as the most equal distribution of races per city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 08:18 AM

34 posts, read 51,989 times
Quote:
Residents of those counties are much more likely today to express more negative attitudes toward blacks ...; are more likely to identify as Republican; and are more likely to express opposition to policies like affirmative action
HuffPo, reliable as ever.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:34 PM

563 posts, read 807,392 times
Diversity is subjective, statistics based only on the distribution of races only partially prove if an area is diverse, but does not account if the residents actually get along or not which is the defining factor in the quality of life.

Using this explorer, it will also show many of these "diverse" cities can also be very segregated. Take a look.

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer

Last edited by never-more; 09-22-2013 at 09:04 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Race is not discrete. It is perceived.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:31 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Diversity is subjective, statistics based only on the distribution of races only partially prove if an area is diverse, but does not account if the residents actually get along or not which is the defining factor in the quality of life.

Using this explorer, it will also show many of these "diverse" cities can also be very segregated. Take a look.

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com
I read an article about ten years ago in Time saying that Sacramento was the most diverse city, not only because of percentages but because the various groups actually live in the same neighborhoods with each other. Even still, the eastern/northeastern suburbs are pretty white.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:50 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Here is the 2010 Census ranking from Brown University based on the most equal distribution of races.

Here are Metro Areas ranked by the most equal distribution of races.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post

Former Slavery Strongholds Harbor Majority Of Nation's Racists, Study Shows (INFOGRAPHIC)

And some of these cities "most diverse" ranking was very suspect (SF, San Jose, etc).

And after looking up the actual statistics, my suspicions were vindicated, as the articles "most diverse" cities were actually not diverse at all. What the hell was that article ranking as "diverse"?

Almost none of the top 10 cities in the huffpo article are not in the real top 10 of the most diverse cities as indicated as the most equal distribution of races per city.
There is a lot more to diversity than simply race and the size of a city plays a part. I think we all take these studies with a grain of salt as everyone uses different charts to get the results.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:50 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:

Why don't you think San Jose is diverse?

Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
^The SJ Metro Area is very diverse.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 AM

592 posts, read 828,538 times
Quote:

Your first link is ranking METRO areas by their diversity. Your second link is simply ranking the cities themselves, not their metro areas, and are including small towns in its ranking.

The first link is actually confirmed by the second. Vallejo and Suisan City share the same metro area. San Francisco, Oakland and San Leandro all share one metro. San Jose is also incredibly racially diverse.

So there you have your answer. The first link posts the racial diversity of the larger metro areas. The second link states the racial diversity of select cities themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California