U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:21 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,838,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
So far just in this year alone CA has...

1) Released over 23,000 criminals back on to the streets because of "overcrowding".

2) Given transgender minors the freedom to choose whichever restroom and locker room they wish to use.

3) Passed 14 new, anti 2nd amendment gun laws that target law abiding citizens.

4) Passed a law to give illegals drivers licenses.

5) Spent over $10 BILLION on healthcare, education and incarceration of illegal immigrants.

...and now this? This state is an absolute, pathetic joke. The liberal Democrats and illegals have completely destroyed this once great state. Its no wonder citizens and businesses are leaving in record numbers. I truly hope this state gets destroyed by a huge earthquake and then destroyed again by a giant tsunami, just to make sure. I cannot wait to move, counting down the days!
1 was a result of a federal court order, not much the state could do. As for number 5, once again, federal courts have ruled that states cannot deny public primary education to illegal immigrant minors. Furthermore, incarceration - you are against putting criminals in jail? An illegal who robbed or raped should just be deported to return again, rather than face justice?.. I bet there more than a few incarcerated citizens that would happily be deported too, if that's the case.

Interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 03:23 PM

23,601 posts, read 33,030,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Non-citizen does not mean a person is an illegal immigrant. Sitting on a jury or assisting with the voting process is only allowed of legal residents, not illegal immigrants.
Nope! Currently, appropriately and thus far it's only permitted of legal citizens, not mere residents and California appears to be the only state that might try to change that. But what the hell, it's only been the law of the land for 237 years - 164 in CA. Time to modernize, right? Sure people want citizens of other countries (Somalia, Iran, China, Russia, etc.) sitting on their jury. And some wonder why some people think CA is wacky in more ways than one, and they'd probably be right!

Old 09-23-2013, 03:28 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,314,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Nope! Currently, appropriately and thus far it's only permitted of legal citizens, not mere residents and California appears to be the only state that might try to change that. But what the hell, it's only been the law of the land for 237 years - 164 in CA. Time to modernize, right? Sure people want citizens of other countries (Somalia, Iran, China, Russia, etc.) sitting on their jury. And some wonder why some people think CA is wacky in more ways than one, and they'd probably be right!
He means "in the proposal under discussion" legal residents would be allowed to etc etc etc

Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,314,693 times
So, I actually READ the article you're all going nuts about, and it doesn't really have any connection to most of the comments being made here.

First off, y'all understand the difference between a bill as submitted by a random legislator and one that actually passes and becomes law, right?

Beyond that, you're getting the details wrong.

- Poll monitoring and jury duty could be extended to LEGAL RESIDENT NON-CITIZENS, not illegal immigrants.

- Children of illegal immigrants who grew up here could be allowed to practice law, not the illegal immigrants themselves.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM

16,732 posts, read 35,332,816 times
Well knock me over with a feather.

"the jury duty bill, which was sponsored by Assemblyman Bob Wieckowski, a Bay Area Democrat..."

Old 09-23-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
He means "in the proposal under discussion" legal residents would be allowed to etc etc etc
I knew that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
First off, y'all understand the difference between a bill as submitted by a random legislator and one that actually passes and becomes law, right?

Beyond that, you're getting the details wrong.

- Poll monitoring and jury duty could be extended to LEGAL RESIDENT NON-CITIZENS, not illegal immigrants.

- Children of illegal immigrants who grew up here could be allowed to practice law, not the illegal immigrants themselves.
I knew all that too. Who are you responding to?

Hey, Fonty! Does this sound like I'm setting them up? You know I'd never do that, right?

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 09-23-2013 at 04:48 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 04:26 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,937,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
1 was a result of a federal court order, not much the state could do. As for number 5, once again, federal courts have ruled that states cannot deny public primary education to illegal immigrant minors. Furthermore, incarceration - you are against putting criminals in jail? An illegal who robbed or raped should just be deported to return again, rather than face justice?.. I bet there more than a few incarcerated citizens that would happily be deported too, if that's the case.

Interesting.
Why arent they deported the f**k back to their own country?! Why are they incarcerated HERE while us LEGAL citizens have to pay for them with our hard earned tax money that could be used other places to fix this rotten state?! I know it was a federal court order. Bottom line is, this state wouldnt even be in this mess if they didnt allow this to be a safe heaven for over 2.5 million illegals and growing every day! We can't just take off to Canada or France and expect to just live there and start getting sh*t handed to us on that countries dime. Its just absolutely pathetic and will be the death of this state.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:36 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,937,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
::::sigh:::: Try to teach you what's right and you just can't grasp it, can you? As taught in Lesson 1 last week, the bills you referenced are merely enrolled but they're not "passed" (Chaptered) unless and until the Governor signs them or lets them pass into law without his action. Now see if you can get it right next time.
You are wrong as usual. The bills have indeed PASSED both the senate and assembly in CA. Brown can veto them if he wishes, if not, they become law. So yes, they have already PASSED, they just have not become LAWS yet. Whenever ANY branch of government votes to PASS a bill, its been reported it has PASSED and then it goes on to the governor or President to sign. You never here anyone report that a bill has been "enrolled" after both floors vote in favor of it, they reported it has PASSED. Do some research.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:13 PM

5,734 posts, read 2,670,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
"LOS ANGELES — California is challenging the historic status of American citizenship with measures to permit noncitizens to sit on juries and monitor polls for elections in which they cannot vote and to open the practice of law even to those here illegally. It is the leading edge of a national trend that includes granting drivers’ licenses and in-state tuition to illegal immigrants in some states and that suggests legal residency could evolve into an appealing option should immigration legislation fail to produce a path to citizenship."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/21/us...ts.html?src=me

When are you guys going to stand up and say you have had enough? I lived in SoCal part-time a few years ago and it reminded me of some places I have been to in South America....and not in a good way. As someone who grew up in Brazil, I can certainly say that parts of this country resemble a 3rd world country and the problem is just going to get worse.
Every time I think this insane state can't get any worse, it does. The legislature is working for citizens of every country except the US. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these brain dead legislators introduce some bill to deport US citizens from California because we upset the illegal aliens too much.

We are already leaving California next year and it can't come soon enough for me. I said it before and I'll say it again. No wonder California is the laughing stock of the US.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
You are wrong as usual. The bills have indeed PASSED both the senate and assembly in CA. Brown can veto them if he wishes, if not, they become law. So yes, they have already PASSED, they just have not become LAWS yet. Whenever ANY branch of government votes to PASS a bill, its been reported it has PASSED and then it goes on to the governor or President to sign. You never here anyone report that a bill has been "enrolled" after both floors vote in favor of it, they reported it has PASSED. Do some research.
Once again, sure you're right. Your opinion is far more creditable than my 20 years of experience working in politics and legislation in Sacramento. Here's a hint for you. Most people don't know about enrollment and chaptering because those are terms of art and Senate and Assembly Rules in the Capitol. Here's another. They can pass out of each house but that doesn't mean they've passed. When I was in the Capitol I very often heard of bills being enrolled and I wrote hundreds of, what? - why, Enrolled Bill Reports (EBRs). And being such an expert I'm sure you're also well-versed in such matters as 1st, 2nd and 3rd Readings, Conference Committees, Concurrence, et al, right? Final casting of pearls before swine - what the media reports and how it reports it isn't necessarily correct; not even on FOX!

Look it all up and you might learn something. But you won't. You obviously prefer abject ignorance to knowledge.

There's just no percentage in trying to teach cretins.

PS. The word you should have used was "hear," not "here."

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 09-23-2013 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or