U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 06:11 AM

23,599 posts, read 33,144,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Only if you reciprocate by ensuring the Bible Belters stay away from here. Deal?
That's "thumpers," Fonty, thumpers. Deal! Doin' ma best ta keep 'em down on the local farm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 11:02 AM

39 posts, read 59,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The Ozarks are indeed quite lovely! Springfield ain't bad, either. It's the lack of sophistication and worldliness that gets old quick out there. The world seems to revolve around Bass Pro Shops, NASCAR, Waffle House, Walmart, and the wonders of the latest John Deere. Thoroughly isolated whitebread culture. Can't tell ya how many folks have informed me, when visiting out there, of their intention to escape and move to CA. (Of course, there are realities that sometimes get in the way of this noble goal.) And really - can we please dispense with the freakin' "cashew chicken" places that pretend to serve Chinese food? Makes the Olive Garden look authentic. And virtually the whole of the populace believe in fairy tales.
Thing is, is that so many cast their eyes and ears westward towards us. We don't cast our eyes east. Shall we enter into debate concerning why this is?
The 5 examples you chose to make your point about the lack of sophistication and worldliness in certain parts of the country are interesting. They reveal your perception of those places/activities/products as being somehow beneath a "Californian".

If you want to insult fishermen/hunters, auto race fans, people who eat waffles, and people who don't have a lot of expendable income and therefore shop at Walmart that's fine. No big deal. But why insult farmers? Do you grow your own food and raise your own cattle? Do you have a milk cow?

In case you haven't noticed there are a lot of John Deere tractor's in California.

When I moved to Tennessee from California I couldn't say enough good things to the local farmers about California's farmers, and it wasn't anything they didn't already know. California's contribution to feeding the nation and the world is well known and a well deserved good reputation.

Have you priced John Deere farm equipment lately? I wonder how many John Deere tractor products you could write a check for.

Your fairytale comment was a bit confusing, but along the general topic of fairytales, why not give our kids a few years of believing in those things? Society, especially sophisticated/wordly societies, want our children to grow up too quickly. Why? They'll be adults soon enough, let them enjoy a few years of fairytales.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Tn View Post
Your fairytale comment was a bit confusing, but along the general topic of fairytales, why not give our kids a few years of believing in those things? Society, especially sophisticated/wordly societies, want our children to grow up too quickly. Why? They'll be adults soon enough, let them enjoy a few years of fairytales.
Fairytale: California Code for believing in God. The atheists just have to bring up and try to belittle faith whenever they can, whether or not it's off-topic. Has to be a fear that there really might be a God!

Good point about the bread basket. California gets its due. Too bad so many there don't respond in kind. But the reality is, Maine lobsters, Georgia peaches, Hawaiian pineapples, Chesapeake Bay blue crabs, Vidalia and Walla Walla onions, etc. don't grow in CA.

Now don't tell anyone in CA this but in the 1870s, Missouri grape rootstock saved the French wine industry and California's as well. But while the French acknowledged it and raised statues to the event, California vintners were too proud to get root stock directly from the source, Missouri, so they imported MO rootstock from France instead,

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 09-28-2013 at 11:58 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 11:47 AM

7,150 posts, read 9,288,936 times
The premises of this thread (illegals judging legals) have been revealed, stripped bare, debunked. All that remains is the question of god (in California?). Does s/he or doesn't s/he? Only the faithful know.

Let's see which statement rings true:
1.) atheists secretly fear there is a god: thus choose to antagonize omnipotent wrath they can't beat ...
2.) the religious are fearless: thus rally behind the righteous skirts of their protective mother/father figure?

Bonus points for answering:
Is the California negativism coming from erudition or from grapes that have soured?

Old 09-28-2013, 11:54 AM

39 posts, read 59,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Fairytale: California Code for believing in God. The atheists just have to bring up and try to belittle faith whenever they can, whether or not it's off-topic. Has to be a fear that there really might be a God!
OK, that makes sense. Thanks. I lived there for over 50 years and didn't know that, go figure.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:54 AM

16,743 posts, read 35,490,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Tn View Post

If you want to insult... people who eat waffles
Who did that? I'll moider the lug. (back to waffles, Farmer John sausage, and coffee)

Old 09-28-2013, 12:06 PM

And in the South, waffles and fried chicken are a staple. Go figure that one. I still can't!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:17 PM

16,537 posts, read 23,794,293 times
Quote:
And in the South, waffles and fried chicken are a staple. Go figure that one. I still can't!
Right? makes no sense to me either.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:28 PM

16,743 posts, read 35,490,229 times
I read somewhere the c&w meal was birthed in Harlem.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:29 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 9,197,395 times
Quote:
That's odd. I never encountered this until I moved to Northern CA.

Every time I see it on a menu here I'm stumped by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or