Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:50 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times

Advertisements

"LOS ANGELES — California is challenging the historic status of American citizenship with measures to permit noncitizens to sit on juries and monitor polls for elections in which they cannot vote and to open the practice of law even to those here illegally. It is the leading edge of a national trend that includes granting drivers’ licenses and in-state tuition to illegal immigrants in some states and that suggests legal residency could evolve into an appealing option should immigration legislation fail to produce a path to citizenship."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/21/us...ts.html?src=me

When are you guys going to stand up and say you have had enough? I lived in SoCal part-time a few years ago and it reminded me of some places I have been to in South America....and not in a good way. As someone who grew up in Brazil, I can certainly say that parts of this country resemble a 3rd world country and the problem is just going to get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 03:01 PM

39 posts, read 67,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post

When are you guys going to stand up and say you have had enough? I lived in SoCal part-time a few years ago and it reminded me of some places I have been to in South America....and not in a good way. As someone who grew up in Brazil, I can certainly say that parts of this country resemble a 3rd world country and the problem is just going to get worse.
We stood up, walked away and never looked back last year. Moved to Tennessee. Very sad considering my wife and I were both native Californian's in our 50's who had never lived anywhere else. It's a shame that such natural beauty, majestic shorelines and towering granite peaks, weren't enough to keep us there. The other factors were too much to look past.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Tn View Post
We stood up, walked away and never looked back last year. Moved to Tennessee. Very sad considering my wife and I were both native Californian's in our 50's who had never lived anywhere else. It's a shame that such natural beauty, majestic shorelines and towering granite peaks, weren't enough to keep us there. The other factors were too much to look past.
I understand completely. California is such a beautiful state but law breakers seem to have more rights than citizens and legal immigrants who waited in line to come here. (like my father and great grandparents did)

I am a Massachusetts native and while that state is far from being as "bad" as CA, I just couldn't live there anymore. The illegal alien population is also pretty big. I moved to NH where it is much safer to raise children and more laid-back... And the illegal alien population here is very small. New Hampshire folks aren't exactly fond of them and not as willing to employ them. Thank goodness.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:16 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
"LOS ANGELES — California is challenging the historic status of American citizenship with measures to permit noncitizens to sit on juries and monitor polls for elections in which they cannot vote and to open the practice of law even to those here illegally. It is the leading edge of a national trend that includes granting drivers’ licenses and in-state tuition to illegal immigrants in some states and that suggests legal residency could evolve into an appealing option should immigration legislation fail to produce a path to citizenship."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/21/us...ts.html?src=me

Didn't know illegal immigrants made California a third world country. When I think of third world countries, I think of disease and war. I guess those illegal immigrants are going to turn us into Syria now!! You said you've been to Brazil...you should know better.

I certainly do not agree with some of the leniency this state has showed illegal immigrants but at least I'm not so irrational as to think that this country will collapse SOLELY because of them.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:25 PM

510 posts, read 430,531 times
The battle to prevent California from becoming Brazil died with the government's failure to support the Californian people's will with Prop 187 back in 1997. That was when the power elite officially overthrew the common people of California, and soon they will rule the wasteland from their urban coastal perches of power like the elite rule Brazil.

Also all those non-elite yet Progressive useful idiots who were against 187 back in the day are fleeing the state now, and will be used by the elites in other states in their war against common Americans.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:29 PM

510 posts, read 430,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Didn't know illegal immigrants made California a third world country. When I think of third world countries, I think of disease and war. I guess those illegal immigrants are going to turn us into Syria now!! You said you've been to Brazil...you should know better.

I certainly do not agree with some of the leniency this state has showed illegal immigrants but at least I'm not so irrational as to think that this country will collapse SOLELY because of them.
War and disease?

Actually from my experience in 3rd world countries they make me think more about simple poverty, corruption and stuff like selling stolen goods openly and stealing electricity. You'd have to be blind not to see that Los Angeles is heading in that direction, and you'd have to be stupid to think that it's not almost entirely due to the massive illegal population.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:37 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
War and disease?

Actually from my experience in 3rd world countries they make me think more about simple poverty, corruption and stuff like selling stolen goods openly and stealing electricity. You'd have to be blind not to see that Los Angeles is heading in that direction.
Simple poverty doesn't make a third world country. That is everywhere. So is corruption.

By that argument, most big European cities are now third world countries as well. I don't know if you have been to Paris but the stolen goods thing you mention is everywhere there.

I am not defending illegal immigrants getting citizenship handed to them. What I'm doing is calling out the radical right-wingers on hyperbole. I suppose you probably know more than me about third world countries so I can't speak to that. What I hate is when people speak in extremes. We have it pretty good in this country compared to most of the rest of the world.

Who knows, maybe someone in this thread who is more well-versed on the issue than me will say something logical about this topic. Or people will continue to talk about how the illegals steal all our jobs and made their spouses leave them or whatever.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:56 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
Exclamation UPDATE --- Sorry! - but there's a NEW LOWER, LOW!!

UPDATE ---- SORRY!! - but there's a NEW LOWER, LOW for CA.....

Effective January 2014, K-12 may use the school facilities (and join sports teams, etc) according to their 'gender identity' ..... yes, males may use female locker rooms, restrooms..... etc.....

-----------
AB-1266 Pupil rights: sex-segregated school programs and activities.......

Democratic California Gov. Jerry Brown signed a new law into effect on Monday afternoon affording students confused about their “gender identity” a host of new rights, including the ability to use either a boy’s or girl’s restroom and either locker room.

The legislation, Assembly Bill 1266, authored by Democratic State Assemblyman Tom Ammiano from San Francisco, allows students in grades as young as kindergarten to use “facilities consistent with his or her gender identity, irrespective of the gender listed on the pupil’s records.”

Ammiano’s spokesman, Carlos Alcala, told TheBlaze on Monday afternoon the bill would even permit high school males who say they identify as females, to use a woman’s locker room. “If that’s his deep gender identity, yes,” Alcala said.

New California Law Allows Kids Confused About Their ‘Gender Identity’ to Choose Restrooms, Locker Rooms | TheBlaze.com

Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
We stood up, walked away and never looked back last year.
Thank you. The rest of you need to follow suit.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:14 PM

350 posts, read 709,662 times
Quote:
What other factors?

My wife and I are about your age (I'm 52, she's 44).

You'll be back in California within three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California