Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times

Advertisements

I've got two reasons why to never move to California...
Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer...

Old 11-21-2014, 08:13 AM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Then why not move to Nevada? They just elected Ira Hansen speaker of the State House, his views might align better with yours http://www.newsreview.com/reno/on-pa...t?oid=15531962

Old 11-21-2014, 08:36 AM

120 posts, read 123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sorry you bought property where there were a lot of assessments it is always a good idea to check into those before purchasing. My property tax in Sacramento County is 1% plus $59 in annual assessments. As far as the property you linked, are you sure that $3,000 wasn't for an assessed value of less than 529k? The data I posted in my previous message was straight from the assessors office. The formula is property value X 9.5% x .7600, or $722 per 100k. It also appears that at least in Laramie County property is assessed annually and your taxes go up if the property value increases - that is what they do in Nevada too and it has the potential of greatly increasing your property tax. In California the tax basis remains the same unless you sell the home.

In any case, I wish you well and hope that you are happy in Wyoming
I totally understand what you are saying in regards to previous assessment value. Wyoming did not have the massive bubble/bust cycle and the values are steady. I am sure the previous value was not assessed at $529k and I used it for example to add cushion since it allows for $29k lesser assumed previous assessment. Even if it was $475k, it still firmly represents the difference between the two states and shows my Cali property taxes are exponentially too damn high which is one of many factors which drove the decision to relocate.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then why not move to Nevada? They just elected Ira Hansen speaker of the State House, his views might align better with yours http://www.newsreview.com/reno/on-pa...t?oid=15531962
Property taxes are high, education system sucks, crime sucks, too many illegals, and the population is definitely not Conservative.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:18 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Because one should always build one's life around politics, and personal and ideological distaste for two politicians should ALWAYS trump such other trivial considerations such as: family, friends, cultural attractions, environmental preferences, personal / professional economics, and more silly elements of life.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadtoad View Post
Yes.... because it's WYOMING...... the most Conservative state in the nation
Wyoming Most Conservative State While DC Ranks Most Liberal

By all means compare the crime rates, tax rates, public education systems, lack of welfare programs, median incomes, or whatever else you would like to Cali. A place where your money is YOUR MONEY.
Hi toad. Look, I commend you on making a decision to act on your preferences and leaving California. I wish millions of others would leave as well. And I could almost compliment you on making a post here that doesn't rant out inaccurate, indefensible claims. Except you are making an inference here that just doesn't wash.

Correct me if I'm wrong for paraphrasing what I think you are saying: that comparing Wyoming to California is somehow quantifiable. Reality is the two don't have ANY common circumstances / metrics. California is the nation's most populous and economically and socially diverse state. Um, by FAR in any study. Wyoming is the least of those things.

I am not saying Wyoming sucks. I think it's pretty cool in its own way. And I can absolutely see why it appeals to certain kinds of folks. Including you. And I'm not being sarcastic. Plenty of hunting, fishing, wide open spaces for outdoors types who can enjoy the weather extremes and who value low density solitude. Bonus for conservatives, it is a bastion of those beliefs.

But the bottom line is: there aren't enough people there, nor enough economic diversity to require the kind of management and expense necessary for a place like California that is a world-leading, diverse economy, scholastic and research center, entrepreneurial center of the universe, cultural treasure, etc.

The big question here is why you feel the need to proclaim your epiphany: that California sucks. If you are confident in your position and decision: go. God speed. Bon voyage. Happy hunting. And thanks for leaving. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. All you are doing is painting a picture of yourself as a disgruntled, whiny, tantrum-throwing kindergartner.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:11 PM

Cali does not suck! It's a great place to make $11.59 per hour while doing absolutely nothing

My reply was to your Pasadena resident who posted what he did in post #154 which was conveniently quoted for you. Maybe you can answer his "it's WYOMING" reference for him since obviously he's comparing it to something. Interesting you failed to direct your summation of the two states are not comparable to him.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I was reading the new posts here, and I asked myself, "If someone told you that you could have a free house, but to get it, you have to move to Wyoming and live there year round...would you take it?"

My answer would be an immediate and definite "NO."

And I really miss having a place where I can have farm animals and a garden. But, I would rather live in a tiny studio apartment with no balcony, even - and stay in CA.

And I think this is the bottom line to this discussion. Some California residents just love her, warts and all. You can't find what we have in Wyoming. If nothing else, there's no way in Haides I'd willingly go through a Wyoming winter.

Then there are others who would rather live in the boonies somewhere with terrible weather, simply because it's the complete opposite of life in CA.

Fascinating, isn't it?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:48 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
-No fees to Conceal Carry or Open Carry a firearm since BEARING ARMS is a Constitutional Right
I must have missed the part where the Constitution mandated no-fee concealed and open carry...

Old 11-21-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Cali does not suck! It's a great place to make $11.59 per hour while doing absolutely nothing
Um, toad, you're going way over the top again. I just answered this $11.59 an hour fiction in your other thread protests. You really gotta use that brain of yours a bit. Dust it off, toad.

If people could earn better than minimum wage for doing nothing, why would anyone work minimum / low wage jobs? And they do work them. By the millions. Your foundational information is flawed. Badly. It is based on hypotheticals that can rarely be realized. Almost never.

Do the math lesson I gave you, too. Multiply the number of people on welfare by 2000 (the number of average annual wage earner working hours). Then take the total payout budget for welfare and divide it by the hours welfare recipients would work if they had jobs. There's your figure. Not even close to half your claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California