Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,447 times

Advertisements

Any suggestion is valuable..

I was new to US and I helped few guys to lease apt for 1yr as not all of the people where having ssn to rent apt. I was living in another apt. This was 2009 in Cali.

After few months, the people in the apt started moving out without my knowledge. Some of the remaining roommates found another people. I told apt manager about this to transfer the name to another guy in the apt and she told me she would take care of everything but she did not. Finally they all moved out before lease end. They said we paid manager all the rent is advance but someone suggest me that manager made some deal with them and screwed me

Later on, the manager got fired due to irregularities with finances she made during her reign. I reported all this to the property supervisor but no actions were taken as they were busy finding irregularities previous manager made. And new manager came and I explained him the situation, he did nothing and later he was also fired for some reason.

When I left my apt in 2010, I was not notified about any charges concerning that apt. But I recently found out that a large amount of 6k has been kept on credit. I am furious about this. Two of the four people who stayed in that apt fled out of US permanently and two of them are here.

1. Can I sue the guys( both here and abroad) who were staying in apt. I have proof of emails that they were living in that apt.
2. I am building my case and so is it be wise to mention that I help people lease apt on my name, as I was not getting any profit out of it?
3. Can I sue the management for their bad management?

Any suggestions would be helpful on how can I get out of this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:22 AM

542 posts, read 1,541,697 times
Your case is much to specific and unique for anyone here to be able to help you. Look up local tenant advocates in your area and speak to some of them to see what your options are.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,447 times
I was told by my friends that settle it urself first. May if one qs can be answered here.

Can I sue the people staying in apt though my name was on apt? I have proof that they were staying in the apt.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:44 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,382,464 times
Lightbulb yo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin85 View Post
I was told by my friends that settle it urself first. May if one qs can be answered here.

Can I sue the people staying in apt though my name was on apt? I have proof that they were staying in the apt.
Dude, ask a Lawyer.
K

Old 09-27-2013, 11:59 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,948,328 times
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive!"

---Sir Walter Scott, 1808

Old 09-29-2013, 06:04 PM

162 posts, read 317,235 times
I think not because you probably have nothing in writing...Thus no proof

Old 09-29-2013, 06:17 PM

37,035 posts, read 41,961,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGS View Post
I think not because you probably have nothing in writing...Thus no proof
"in writing" probably doesn't mean emails where they mention they are living in the apartment either. "in writing" means a contract of some sort.

OP...who were you, new to the USA youself, to take on the housing responsibility of others who were in no position to take it on themselves? Sounds shady. I suggest you LIVE AND LEARN and stop making bad decisions.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,673,828 times
It really does not matter who was living in the apartment. The OP signed the lease, putting the OP responsible for paying the rent and paying for any damages.

In other words it is similar to co-signing a loan for someone. If they don't pay, then you are responsible.

Quote:
Can I sue the guys( both here and abroad) who were staying in apt. I have proof of emails that they were living in that apt.
You can sue anybody, but you have to prove they owe the money . It does not matter they lived in the apartment, what matters is who signed the lease. And what good is it going to do to sue someone that lives abroad after leaving the USA. You will go to the expense of the suit, but how are you going to collect from them if you get a judgement. You are not.

When you signed the lease, you said in essence, 'I am responsible for paying the rent and any other expenses that the one that signed the lease is responsible.' Anyone that stayed in the apartment is really your guest, staying in a unit your are responsible for paying the rent and other costs.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:59 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,253,997 times
You can sue them, but it won't fix the problem with the landlord and you. You will need to deal with the credit problem yourself. Do you mean that there's a judgment for $6,000 on your credit report now?

I also suggest you talk to legal services or a lawyer. Here's a resource page on the CA Bar Association website:

I would suggest you talk to a landlord/tenant attorney to ask about the tenant issues, and/or a bankruptcy attorney to get help dealing with your credit.

Lawyer Referral Services (LRS)

Sorry they treated you badly. It was a kind thing for you to do, though not legal

Old 10-03-2013, 12:45 AM

168 posts, read 634,685 times
Do I understand correctly, that you are not a citizen of the US yourself, any more than the people you helped?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California