U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 15,037,689 times
Reputation: 2904

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
If you're responding to me, perhaps you might consider that some have moral and civil standards ad some would never commit a violation of trust. If public exposure of "private moments" is the new normal then I gleefully accept the label of "prude." An attitude of "anything goes" is one small step from a valueless society.
You've missed the point entirely. Photos and video tapes of private moments are meant for private eyes. If they are released without consent, to cause mental anguish and humiliation, that is the violation.

If you do not partake in such bedroom artistic activities yourself, you are not necessarily a prude.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2013, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 14,788,266 times
Reputation: 6343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
An attitude of "anything goes" is one small step from a valueless society.
Allowing people to get away with destroying others via virtual vengence sounds like the epitome of an "anything goes", "valueless society." If your kid throws herself out the window because the local psycho filmed her and posted it on Fb without her knowledge, would you be OK with that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 04:47 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
86,049 posts, read 79,216,730 times
Reputation: 88398
I'm with Moonbeam. Besides, isn't posting porn on the internet a violation of interstate porn trafficking? It used to be illegal when it involved the US Postal Service.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Wherever I happen to be at the moment
1,229 posts, read 1,206,862 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Allowing people to get away with destroying others via virtual vengence sounds like the epitome of an "anything goes", "valueless society." If your kid throws herself out the window because the local psycho filmed her and posted it on Fb without her knowledge, would you be OK with that?
Don't be ridiculous. I was clearly referring to those who knowingly posed without first considering that it could come back o haunt them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 14,788,266 times
Reputation: 6343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Don't be ridiculous. I was clearly referring to those who knowingly posed without first considering that it could come back o haunt them.
"Knowingly posed" is rather vague, especially when many are often hardly of sound mind or maturity to determine potential consequences of this practice when done. Or, might have thought they could trust that somebody wouldn't be such a vindictive ******* as to post private, compromising things for all to see.

Sure, people need to take responsibility for their actions, but this bill at least gives people the ability to defend themselves against such attacks, knowing that few otherwise have the resources to mount a legal defense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Wherever I happen to be at the moment
1,229 posts, read 1,206,862 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
"Knowingly posed" is rather vague, especially when many are often hardly of sound mind or maturity to determine potential consequences of this practice when done. Or, might have thought they could trust that somebody wouldn't be such a vindictive ******* as to post private, compromising things for all to see.

Sure, people need to take responsibility for their actions, but this bill at least gives people the ability to defend themselves against such attacks, knowing that few otherwise have the resources to mount a legal defense.
Sorry but the Magic '8' Ball says the probability is that you're just going to have to argue with yourself since a simple term like "knowingly posed" is quite explicit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 PM
 
7,150 posts, read 9,256,519 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Sorry but the Magic '8' Ball says the probability is that you're just going to have to argue with yourself since a simple term like "knowingly posed" is quite explicit.
Yes. Because everything done in youth is done with deep knowing and grasp of future consequences. We are all born wise, if we only choose to exercise our vision. And for those who don't? Well, don't complain about those who act with deep personal responsibility to expose your stupid errors -- and laugh about it ... as they should!

What's a good lesson without humiliation and ruin?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Wherever I happen to be at the moment
1,229 posts, read 1,206,862 times
Reputation: 1836
Oh, great. So let's trust and require government to solve every one of our problems. They do it so well, you know. Besides, I always did want to be absolved of all responsibility for anything and everything anyway. Someone please wake me when my turn comes up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 PM
 
7,150 posts, read 9,256,519 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Oh, great. So let's trust and require government to solve every one of our problems. They do it so well, you know. Besides, I always did want to be absolved of all responsibility for anything and everything anyway. Someone please wake me when my turn comes up.
You're right -- we should simply let brain-dead, slimy creep sexual predators solve our problems instead. I like the plan! They do it so well.

Do you have the slightest notion what the purpose of government is? Why it exists?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Wherever I happen to be at the moment
1,229 posts, read 1,206,862 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You're right -- we should simply let brain-dead, slimy creep sexual predators solve our problems instead. I like the plan! They do it so well.

Do you have the slightest notion what the purpose of government is? Why it exists?
Oh, I think so. But it's NOT to save us from ourselves in every case. Promoting the general welfare is one thing. Taking it to extremes is another, as are hyperbolic examples. But if you wish the gubmint to do all your thinking and decision-making for you then by all means, have at it. As for me, give me liberty...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top