Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 05:31 PM

37,091 posts, read 42,078,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It just a friggin law. Governments do make laws, it's their job. How else would someone who does this get punished? You do think they should be punished don't you? If not, why not. And how would you suggest someone take care of it themselves? Start with the fact that a guy took pics/video of his partner and
spell it out for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
I do? I didn't know that. But since you do I don't need to answer, do I?

Conveniently stopped reading I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 05:47 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,365,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Conveniently stopped reading I see.
Wrong again!

Old 10-05-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R Higgins View Post
'Mexifornia'? Man, what a middle-school-level redneck term...
'Redneck'? Man, what a middle-school-level superior and disparaging term... Do you even know its origins?

Old 10-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 334,819 times
Quote:
'Redneck'? Man, what a middle-school-level superior and disparaging term... Do you even know its origins?
I do. Since I assume we are both Caucasian, the only disparaging thing I said might have been 'middle-school-level', since I also assume you've graduated...

full disclosure- some of the skills and accomplishments I am most proud of I learned from modern Rednecks, so I use the term accurately, not disparagingly. I wouldn't have been able to take, *easily* pass and use the CA Contractors License Exam in 1988 without their many lessons... some of my most liberal friends are farmers and some of my most conservative, fire-breathing friends are Professors. At least Rednecks (modern term usage) are usually courageous and smart enough to be totally and usually humorously up-front about their paleolithic attitudes- a refreshing bracer compared to so much of CA's narcissistic, pretentious and passive-aggressive attitudes. I also assume we've both been around plenty, so yes, I do know its origins.

I learned t how to design and build homes in TX at 15 and CA in my 20s from both Mexicans and Rednecks... some happily qualified as both. My affection for them all is profound. But feel free to be offended by my hopefully erroneous 'middle-school-level' comment. My invitation to use your CA nickname in places less safe and anonymous than CD forums stands. Hope your health insurance is paid up- but take comfort in the fact that you'll deserve the beating... *kidding*. '^)

Seriously, I have family who were in the UMW way back in the day. They were, as the late Hunter S. Thompson would say, 'big, raw-boned people who didn't look natural unless they were leaning up against something." Back then, Union-busters engaged in media manipulation that would make Roger Ailes blush. Great origin and if the original meaning held today, Rednecks would slap the taste out of your mouth for using that term. Seriously.

Last edited by threepounduniverse; 10-05-2013 at 07:25 PM..

Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R Higgins View Post
I do. Since I assume we are both Caucasian, the only disparaging thing I said might have been 'middle-school-level', since I also assume you've graduated... full disclosure- some of the skills and accomplishments I am most proud of I learned from modern Rednecks, so I use the term accurately, not disparagingly. At least they are usually up-front about their paleolithic attitudes- a refreshing bracer compared to so much of CA's narcissistic, pretentious and passive-aggressive attitudes. I also assume we've both been around plenty, so yes, I do know its origins. I learned t how to design and build homes in TX and CA from both Mexicans and Rednecks... some happily qualified as both. My affection for them all is profound. But feel free to be offended by my hopefully erroneous 'middle-school-level' comment. My invitation to use your CA nickname in places less safe and anonymous than CD forums stands. Hope your health insurance is paid up- but take comfort in the fact that you'll deserve the beating... *kidding*. '^)

Seriously, I have family who were in the UMW. Great origin and if the original meaning held today, they would slap the taste out of your mouth for using that term. Seriously.
Yeah! Buncha scabs with bandanas. Good for you! Most don't have the first idea of it's origins which some also attribute to farmers with sunburns.

Unfortunately, it's come to mean bumpkins and racist, pot-bellied beer swillers to most and they use the term pejoratively.

By the way, while my health insurance IS paid up it was not me who used the term, "Mexifornia."

Last edited by Ghostly1; 10-05-2013 at 07:03 PM..

Old 10-05-2013, 06:57 PM

102,110 posts, read 107,301,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Brown has gone senile. First he signs a bill giving illegals expanded rights like the ability to sit on juries, open medical or law practices and preside over elections they cant even vote in, now he signs a bill to give them drivers licenses. He might as well just come out and admit hes pandering to Latinos because he needs their vote to carry the state in next year's election. What a pathetic piece of garbage. I cannot wait to leave this rotten state.
It's important that all drivers be insured. Illegals can't get car insurance without driver's licenses. It's in the State's interest for everyone to have a license and car insurance. It has worked well in NM for years. I don't see the problem.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,541,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't see the problem.
You have to WANT to see it as a problem.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:14 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 334,819 times
Quote:
Yeah! Buncha scabs with bandanas. Good for you! Most don't have the first idea of it's origins which some also attribute to farmers with sunburns.

Unfortunately, it's come to mean bumpkins and racist, pot-bellied beer swillers to most and they use the term pejoratively.

By the way, while my health insurance IS paid up it was not me who used the term, "Mexifornia."
Sorry about that... yes indeed... *smacks forehead with embarrassment*... thanks for clarifying- if I'd only looked at the name on the post! '^)

I'll bet there are very few amongst us here on 'ole CDF's who know that, more's the pity. And yeah- it has come to mean the very antithesis of its true origins... I still feel like throwing darts at the dartboard with Don Blankenship's face on it which adorned a friend's back porch in Kentucky many years ago!

Old 10-06-2013, 03:00 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,800,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's important that all drivers be insured. Illegals can't get car insurance without driver's licenses. It's in the State's interest for everyone to have a license and car insurance. It has worked well in NM for years.
One need not dig around for stats on the legal status of hit-and-run offenders in CA to understand that their daring attempted escapes have much to do with their lack of being licensed and insured drivers. Getting whacked by people who have absolutely no way to compensate for damage and injury really sucks for a great many people every year out here. Hope it changes.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,207,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
BTW Capitol Daily just pointed out that Jerry was the youngest governor in the country when he was first elected gov. and as of this weekend, will be the oldest. And plans to run for another term! Thank God.
No, we should ask the Lord to have mercy on us. Which would be worse, more of the Old Hippie, Governor Moonbeam, or would Gavin Newsom or Antonio Villaraigosa, both of whom want very much to be governor, be even more of a disaster?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California