Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you HATE living in California?
cost of living 91 56.17%
illegal immigrants 65 40.12%
too many people, too little space 59 36.42%
no privacy 14 8.64%
the crime 52 32.10%
the gangs 42 25.93%
no jobs - unemployment 27 16.67%
people's bad selfish attitudes 49 30.25%
the traffic 67 41.36%
the weather 13 8.02%
the dwindling education system 34 20.99%
other 39 24.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 PM

192 posts, read 324,370 times

Advertisements

For me it would be cost of living and traffic along with poor public transportation in the Southern California metro area. If the public transportation system was great, I probably would not care about the traffic. Because of the cost of living though, I likely will probably end up living elsewhere someday, so I think that is probably the worst problem facing this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 07:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
What nslander said. Anyone recall the arrest list that resulted from the disturbance at this year's U.S. Open of Surfing? OC was well-represented.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:56 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
Every place has its own share of problems. I'm not going to bite on this thread. I actually love living in CA, problems and all. Even with the high cost of living and extremist politics, I still enjoy my life here very much.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:01 PM

21,543 posts, read 8,724,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Every place has its own share of problems. I'm not going to bite on this thread. I actually love living in CA, problems and all. Even with the high cost of living and extremist politics, I still enjoy my life here very much.
My feelings exactly. I'm retired and could go live anywhere in the country, but California is my home. I was born here, all my roots are here, most of my family and friends are here, and there's nothing that any other state has that could entice me to leave. In fact it took six years of living on the East Coast to make me realize the value of what I had left behind. When you grow up in a place, you tend not to appreciate what you have. I don't mean to say that California is perfect, but as my dad used to say, "I love California in spite of its faults."

Old 10-05-2013, 08:02 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
As a CA native, I do like living here, but this place does have issues. Try moving away and I bet that many of you would come back!

What I don't like:

1/ The poor attitudes of some people.
2/ The traffic.
3/ The restrictive policies.

But, every place is a tradeoff. If I lived in Minneapolis (as an example), I would have to deal with the cold and long winters.

I don't believe there is a "perfect" place. The benefits do outweigh the disadvantages (at least for the moment) for me and I am able to earn a great living here, so we stay here.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
The "too little space" part makes me erupt in gales of insane laughter.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:05 PM

11 posts, read 26,379 times
Everything on your list, but the cost of living, is virtually identical every state with medium to large towns. And right now there's a snow storm, and tornado, and a hurricane( or perhaps TS) somewhere bearing down on many of those states.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:07 PM

542 posts, read 1,548,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe View Post
I'm sure some of you have things you don't like about living in Cali.

What are things you hate the most about the Golden State?
How could you not list Democrats in your poll? That is what I hate about CA, and is the reason my husband and I will be leaving in the next few years (have some stuff to finish up in the state, or we would already be gone). Besides, it is the Dems who caused most of those problems you listed in your poll, so they have a common cause.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Please. This is the biggest lie OC tells itself. I lived in downtown HB for 10 years. The vast majority of that trash is locally produced.
Well you should have been in Laguna Beach over Labor Day Weekend because there was plenty of the IE and some nasty attitudes to go with it.

But you are correct in that I grew up in Costa Mesa during the times when the downtown holiday riots occured in HB and the likes of Tito Ortiz, Tank Abbott, and the whole MMA badass HB attitude ramped up.

That said HB, other than downtown, is great, nicer than CM.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:17 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
What head? And there you go again quoting a pointlessly misleading statistic ... of course California has the most people living below poverty ... it has (by far) the most people ... now, go back and tell us which state(s) have the highest percentage of population living in poverty.

Hint: California doesn't even break the top ten.

Here. I'll give you the list:
List of U.S. states by poverty rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Your Wikipedia link shows CA has the highest State poverty rate, based on the new Supplemental Poverty Measure, developed by the US Census. This measure is a lot more meaningful than the traditional rate. Read more California Poverty Rate Highest In Nation Based On New Census Department Figures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California