Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:52 PM

486 posts, read 1,257,422 times

Advertisements

Could probably ask this in general US forum, but seems like there are lots of immigrants here in California forum and I'm hoping this will keep the anti-XXX rants at a minimum.

I'm in my early 30s and came to the United States as a baby. Considering the circumstances of the time, I feel my parents did the right thing. This was the 80s, and my native country was poor and lacked a lot of freedoms taken for granted in the USA. The USA truly offered an almost instantaneous improvements in QOL for our entire family.

In the 30 years since, my native country has changed and developed a lot. Not just economically, but in overall human development. Basically every measure you can think of has been improved to near US standards - infrastructure, health care, education, etc. In certain areas my native country has surpassed the US, something that would not have been imaginable.

Speaking to other immigrant friends and also just reading and learning, I feel my native country is not unique. Lots of South American, Asian, East European countries, etc have undergone the same type of development and change.

So now I have to think about the future for my future children here in the USA, compared to my native country. I honestly cannot think of an advantage they would have here. Educational outcomes are generally considered better there than here. Access to quality health care is cheaper. And the specter of gun violence at school, no matter how remote here, is basically unheard of there. And of course, they wouldn't have to deal with the feeling of being a minority in their own country, as some of us have to deal with living in the USA.

Please don't take this as an anti-USA rant. I love the USA, it has been very good to me and my family, and my own life is great here. But I do have these feelings and doubts regarding the next generation, and I wonder what other immigrants around my age think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 PM

249 posts, read 393,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
Could probably ask this in general US forum, but seems like there are lots of immigrants here in California forum and I'm hoping this will keep the anti-XXX rants at a minimum.

I'm in my early 30s and came to the United States as a baby. Considering the circumstances of the time, I feel my parents did the right thing. This was the 80s, and my native country was poor and lacked a lot of freedoms taken for granted in the USA. The USA truly offered an almost instantaneous improvements in QOL for our entire family.

In the 30 years since, my native country has changed and developed a lot. Not just economically, but in overall human development. Basically every measure you can think of has been improved to near US standards - infrastructure, health care, education, etc. In certain areas my native country has surpassed the US, something that would not have been imaginable.

Speaking to other immigrant friends and also just reading and learning, I feel my native country is not unique. Lots of South American, Asian, East European countries, etc have undergone the same type of development and change.

So now I have to think about the future for my future children here in the USA, compared to my native country. I honestly cannot think of an advantage they would have here. Educational outcomes are generally considered better there than here. Access to quality health care is cheaper. And the specter of gun violence at school, no matter how remote here, is basically unheard of there. And of course, they wouldn't have to deal with the feeling of being a minority in their own country, as some of us have to deal with living in the USA.

Please don't take this as an anti-USA rant. I love the USA, it has been very good to me and my family, and my own life is great here. But I do have these feelings and doubts regarding the next generation, and I wonder what other immigrants around my age think.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Are you a US citizen? If not, just go back to your country of origin. Otherwise start contributing to this great country that is made up of immigrants from all over the world that came here for a better life than what they had in the old country.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakandDizzy View Post
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Are you a US citizen? If not, just go back to your country of origin. Otherwise start contributing to this great country that is made up of immigrants from all over the world that came here for a better life than what they had in the old country.
Yes, I'm a US Citizen. Are you? Because English reading comprehension does not seem to be a strong suit of yours.

And don't tell me to "start" contributing, I pay more in taxes in a year than the average American takes in in salary.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:14 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,041,310 times
Well, you know your land of birth better than most who will view this thread.
I'm a multinational myself though, so let it be known what country we're comparing the U.S. to, and maybe we can get this puppy rolling.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Well, you know your land of birth better than most who will view this thread.
I'm a multinational myself though, so let it be known what country we're comparing the U.S. to, and maybe we can get this puppy rolling.
I don't mean this to be snarky, but did you read my OP? I'm not interested in comparing countries, that's not my point.

I want to hear from immigrants that have or are planning on having children, and get their opinions on what they think the future of their children will hold here in the US, and whether they think they will have a superior upbringing here compared to their native countries.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:35 PM

Well, acknowledge it or not, you're asking about a country comparison. If you don't want to specify the case for YOUR country, okay.

Let's look at one statement though: "I honestly cannot think of an advantage they would have here."

You're just not thinking hard enough, if that's a truly 'honest' statement.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 PM

249 posts, read 393,345 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm a US Citizen. Are you? Because English reading comprehension does not seem to be a strong suit of yours.

And don't tell me to "start" contributing, I pay more in taxes in a year than the average American takes in in salary.

My ancestors came here in the early 1700's so yes I am a US citizen. English is my native language. I believe I understood your post quite clearly. To summarize, I believe you were editorializing that the rest of the world has surpassed the U.S.A. in education, health care, infrastructure, etc. You then proceeded to ask if other immigrants, like you, raising young children, are having second thoughts about living in the U.S.A., and whether your children would be better off in the old country ( the land of their parents and grandparents). You then responded that you paid more in taxes than the average American makes in salary. That is only about $50,000-60,000. By contributing I did not mean taxes ( we all have to pay taxes), I meant what can you do as an AMERICAN to make your community a better place to live for all people?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Well, acknowledge it or not, you're asking about a country comparison. If you don't want to specify the case for YOUR country, okay.

Let's look at one statement though: "I honestly cannot think of an advantage they would have here."

You're just not thinking hard enough, if that's a truly 'honest' statement.
What do you mean by YOUR country? MY country is the USA, I'm a citizen. Or are you in the habit of labeling immigrants as unpatriotic or not belonging in the USA if they dare criticize it?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by YOUR country? MY country is the USA, I'm a citizen. Or are you in the habit of labeling immigrants as unpatriotic or not belonging in the USA if they dare criticize it?
I think you meant to direct this to the other poster.

In which country were you born?
There's a chance I might know your country well and can offer an opinion on whether I'd go back and what advantages each country has.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakandDizzy View Post
My ancestors came here in the early 1700's so yes I am a US citizen. English is my native language. I believe I understood your post quite clearly. To summarize, I believe you were editorializing that the rest of the world has surpassed the U.S.A. in education, health care, infrastructure, etc. You then proceeded to ask if other immigrants, like you, raising young children, are having second thoughts about living in the U.S.A., and whether your children would be better off in the old country ( the land of their parents and grandparents). You then responded that you paid more in taxes than the average American makes in salary. That is only about $50,000-60,000. By contributing I did not mean taxes ( we all have to pay taxes), I meant what can you do as an AMERICAN to make your community a better place to live for all people?
"Basically every measure you can think of has been improved to near US standards - infrastructure, health care, education, etc. In certain areas my native country has surpassed the US, something that would not have been imaginable."

That was my direct quote. Notice the "improved to NEAR US standards". Again, reading comprehension much?

BTW, judging by your other posts, you are not 20-40 y/o NOR an immigrant. So why are you posting in this thread? Oh yea, that's right, to share your sentiments on how immigrants who dare criticize this country should "just go back to your country of origin". Correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: