Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,798 times

Advertisements

After evicting violent tenants, 3 homelss folks offered 2 stay in the house to prevent further vandalism and to discard prior tenants furnishings/trash. I let them stay 2 weeks but they stalled, usurped furnishings; brought in children, pit bull dogs & several unauthorized occupants; remained another month interfering w/ rehab of the property; threatening & intimidating me causing emotional/financial distress/elder abuse & CLAIM tenants rights, legal possession & refuse 2 leave unless I pay them off, which appears to be a form of extortion. I gave them 3 day NOTICE 2 QUIT but POLICE won't allow me on the property & threatened 2 arrest me for trespassing when I went 2 get my tools, furnishings/appliances & shut off utilities. Help
They were essentially guests with no expectation of privacy as I was occupying part of the house and they knew I was going to be making necessary repairs as the house was in shambles. I let them stay because they had no other place to go and I thought we could help each other temporarily, but now the Deputies are telling me they have "tenants rights" and I can't even go in there to get my tools or make repairs without their permission. i THINK THE SHERIFF'S DEPT IS WAY OUT OF LINE, BUT CAN'T GET TO TALK TO ANY ATTORNEY THAT ADVISES THEM OR A DA. WHO ON'T TALK TO ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
You let them stay there long enough and now they're considered residents. Welcome to the system. Now you have to go through the eviction process step-by-step. If you're lucky, they'll be out in two or three months. Let this be a lesson to you.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
1. Don't believe it.

2. If I'm wrong about #1then you are cut out to be a landlord. Moving in homeless people is kind of a dead giveaway. Sell the place and let someone else deal with it.

This isn't a system issue, it's a "you" issue.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM

542 posts, read 1,549,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You let them stay there long enough and now they're considered residents. Welcome to the system. Now you have to go through the eviction process step-by-step. If you're lucky, they'll be out in two or three months. Let this be a lesson to you.
This is exactly correct. You need to contact a local eviction attorney and start the eviction process. You can't just throw them out or change the locks, they are now considered residents/tenants.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGLtraveling View Post
After evicting violent tenants, 3 homelss folks offered 2 stay in the house to prevent further vandalism and to discard prior tenants furnishings/trash. I let them stay 2 weeks but they stalled, usurped furnishings; brought in children, pit bull dogs & several unauthorized occupants; remained another month interfering w/ rehab of the property; threatening & intimidating me causing emotional/financial distress/elder abuse & CLAIM tenants rights, legal possession & refuse 2 leave unless I pay them off, which appears to be a form of extortion. I gave them 3 day NOTICE 2 QUIT but POLICE won't allow me on the property & threatened 2 arrest me for trespassing when I went 2 get my tools, furnishings/appliances & shut off utilities. Help
They were essentially guests with no expectation of privacy as I was occupying part of the house and they knew I was going to be making necessary repairs as the house was in shambles. I let them stay because they had no other place to go and I thought we could help each other temporarily, but now the Deputies are telling me they have "tenants rights" and I can't even go in there to get my tools or make repairs without their permission. i THINK THE SHERIFF'S DEPT IS WAY OUT OF LINE, BUT CAN'T GET TO TALK TO ANY ATTORNEY THAT ADVISES THEM OR A DA. WHO ON'T TALK TO ME.
Not trying to be rude - but what compelled you to think that was a good idea?

The Sheriff is not out of line - this is a civil issue, and until you have a court order authorizing the eviction the Sheriff can't do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California