Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 8,637 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a question for people who are familiar with the various cities of CA. Although from Fresno, I left at age 19 to make the Navy a career in 1975, later worked as a contractor and finally returned a year ago due to family issues. I am a widower, age 58 with a 21 year-old son still living with me as he is autistic. I have been renting in North Fresno for about a year and the city is a lot more run-down than I remember in the 70s. Also, the summers are scorching hot, which drives my utilities bills through the roof. Although I've seen worse, Fresno is not close to my ideal of a place to live. I work part-time as a govt. contractor, by deploying overseas for weeks at a time, so where I live is not tied to my employment. I draw a military pension ($2100 a month) to supplement my part-time contractor work, and have military retiree health care coverage. I have saved about $350,000 for a house and would like to retire in about 5 years. I am not interested in living in large, crowded, expensive cities like LA, SF, and SD, and would prefer quieter towns which offer parks, hiking trails, scenery, lakes, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 10:55 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
I'd have a serious look at Gold Country. You're close enough to take some day trips or longer to scope out all the great towns in the area.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Drive up the hill and buy in Coarsegold, Oakhurst or Mariposa areas. Just a short drive from Fresno (when you need to go there for shopping or medical care) without the urban problems.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:19 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I'd have a serious look at Gold Country. You're close enough to take some day trips or longer to scope out all the great towns in the area.
This!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Dreamer View Post
Hello, I have a question for people who are familiar with the various cities of CA. Although from Fresno, I left at age 19 to make the Navy a career in 1975, later worked as a contractor and finally returned a year ago due to family issues. I am a widower, age 58 with a 21 year-old son still living with me as he is autistic. I have been renting in North Fresno for about a year and the city is a lot more run-down than I remember in the 70s. Also, the summers are scorching hot, which drives my utilities bills through the roof. Although I've seen worse, Fresno is not close to my ideal of a place to live. I work part-time as a govt. contractor, by deploying overseas for weeks at a time, so where I live is not tied to my employment. I draw a military pension ($2100 a month) to supplement my part-time contractor work, and have military retiree health care coverage. I have saved about $350,000 for a house and would like to retire in about 5 years. I am not interested in living in large, crowded, expensive cities like LA, SF, and SD, and would prefer quieter towns which offer parks, hiking trails, scenery, lakes, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this post.
First of all, thank you so much for your service to the Country!

Second, yes the gold country is a nice place to live with weather elevated above the central valley. No fog and heat and hardly any cold or snow if you pick the sweet spots along Highway 49.

That said, i much enjoy the wine country near Santa Rosa. Sebastopol is favorite and you would enjoy an easy ride to a major airport for your trips. Great weather and closeness to the ocean is a plus. Healdsburg is great town as well.

Around near San Luis Obispo is great but far from a major airport.

Ventura has great weather is affordable for a coastal town and near good medical and not far from an airport.

I would take some time and go stay in a few of these places for a week or so to get the ambiance. Keep following the Forum and check out the search boxes above. I am sure you will find your best spot!!

Old 11-12-2013, 02:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
You could find a home in Ventura, Oxnard, or Port Hueneme and would not have to worry about heat or cold. Our electric bill for October was $28.58 and that is about normal year round. Our gas bill is under $30 each month and we have a family of 5 kids at home. we are on the coast in Oxnard. The beach is close, the mountains are close, plenty of parks, the area is one of the safest in the nation. If the size of the cities is too large you could also move inland to either Santa Paula or Fillmore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California