Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:41 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 336,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
I have to really disagree. You can regularly find studios and 1-beds in safe areas for $1300-$1500 a month, and with that income a couple can live comfortably.
If by 'safe' you mean a 600 sq. ft studio or 1br in Vallejo overlooking a parking lot, yes, a 'safe area' location is possible... and who couldn't live comfortably on let's say, to be generous, $60k after taxes... around $5k a month in the Bay/LA area, 40-45 minutes max to the coast, nice area with restaurants, clubs, businesses and things to do nearby, etc. reasonably close to jobs... that's a stretch at best. Factor in savings (any), all the expenses of a typical rental, and the oft-used phrase 'just getting by' comes to mind.

Sure, theoretically anything's possible... I might win the lottery tomorrow. These folks looking for The Impossible CA Dream (circa 1986) might just luck out on a one-in-a-million deal. But realistically, without more Do Re Mi as Woodie Guthrie put it, daily life isn't gonna include a lot of time to do anything but address a crucial strategic shortfall... not enough of the stuff that *doesn't* grow on trees.

It's possible for young D.I.N.K.s to come to CA and be just fine on $60k or so after taxes... possible, not likely- and by 'just fine', that means taking a few things out from under the Xmas Tree... wish it were otherwise.

CL makes every apt., etc. look a lot better than it is, especially when neighborhoods are factored in... and for under $1400.00 with that list of goodies, better pony up well over 2k for a studio with any space or a 1br. worthy of the term... because that price range usually includes the smell of bad Chinese food and bottles breaking every night in 2013... again, the days of the 'low-hanging fruit' rentals of the 1980s are long gone never to return.

The typical OP 'moving to CA' thread start usually involves a reality check to maybe align expectations with actual facts on the ground here in CA because the posts usually begin with...

"...would want to spend under around $1000-$1400 a month on rent. We would like to be "closer" to the water of course and in a nice neighborhood with some restaurants and bars and things to do."

Sound familiar?

There's a reason so many folks move out to CA, particularly to the SF or LA areas only to leave in a few years, frustrated by the reality vs. what they expected... bad information or hopes too high for their budgets... and C-D stands right at the crossroads of Wishes vs. Reality... as we should!

Last edited by threepounduniverse; 11-20-2013 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 09:00 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,950 times
I didn't see anywhere that OP said they wanted a huge place. A couple and animals can live in 600sq ft with no problem, while keeping within the budget and in a safer area. They could even live around Livermore and have cheaper rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand63 View Post
Yeah, the animals make it much more difficult to find a place. is Oakland a good area?
I know that there are certainly good parts to Oakland, but that would be a better search for the SF forums. I have friends who live around Lake Merritt and enjoy it.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:37 AM

12 posts, read 13,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
I didn't see anywhere that OP said they wanted a huge place. A couple and animals can live in 600sq ft with no problem, while keeping within the budget and in a safer area. They could even live around Livermore and have cheaper rent.

I know that there are certainly good parts to Oakland, but that would be a better search for the SF forums. I have friends who live around Lake Merritt and enjoy it.

Ok will do and I appreciate all the input!

Old 11-21-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R Higgins View Post
If by 'safe' you mean a 600 sq. ft studio or 1br in Vallejo overlooking a parking lot, yes, a 'safe area' location is possible... and who couldn't live comfortably on let's say, to be generous, $60k after taxes... around $5k a month in the Bay/LA area, 40-45 minutes max to the coast, nice area with restaurants, clubs, businesses and things to do nearby, etc. reasonably close to jobs... that's a stretch at best. Factor in savings (any), all the expenses of a typical rental, and the oft-used phrase 'just getting by' comes to mind.

Sure, theoretically anything's possible... I might win the lottery tomorrow. These folks looking for The Impossible CA Dream (circa 1986) might just luck out on a one-in-a-million deal. But realistically, without more Do Re Mi as Woodie Guthrie put it, daily life isn't gonna include a lot of time to do anything but address a crucial strategic shortfall... not enough of the stuff that *doesn't* grow on trees.

It's possible for young D.I.N.K.s to come to CA and be just fine on $60k or so after taxes... possible, not likely- and by 'just fine', that means taking a few things out from under the Xmas Tree... wish it were otherwise.

CL makes every apt., etc. look a lot better than it is, especially when neighborhoods are factored in... and for under $1400.00 with that list of goodies, better pony up well over 2k for a studio with any space or a 1br. worthy of the term... because that price range usually includes the smell of bad Chinese food and bottles breaking every night in 2013... again, the days of the 'low-hanging fruit' rentals of the 1980s are long gone never to return.

The typical OP 'moving to CA' thread start usually involves a reality check to maybe align expectations with actual facts on the ground here in CA because the posts usually begin with...

"...would want to spend under around $1000-$1400 a month on rent. We would like to be "closer" to the water of course and in a nice neighborhood with some restaurants and bars and things to do."

Sound familiar?

There's a reason so many folks move out to CA, particularly to the SF or LA areas only to leave in a few years, frustrated by the reality vs. what they expected... bad information or hopes too high for their budgets... and C-D stands right at the crossroads of Wishes vs. Reality... as we should!
I appreciate the honesty...that's why i'm reaching out to people with real experience in california before I decide to make any moves! Don't want to be "that guy" that comes back to Cleveland after 3 years.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
If you stay inland you can swing that, assuming you get the jobs and make the income. You will almost always be an hour + from the ocean but I'm telling you, people don't spend much time at the ocean unless that is where they work/play (as in scuba, boating, or surfing). If you don't currently do those thing the ocean/beach will be your occasional day trip when you have the time and the weather is nice. Do not let the coast rule your decisions. Of course, that may make CA less desirable in your mind but remember, that is how the majority of the people here live. I haven't seen the ocean in at least 9 years, just the Bay as I'm driving over bridges. It's not a priority for most people. If you absolutely need water consider a state with lakes.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:13 PM

65 posts, read 81,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If you stay inland you can swing that, assuming you get the jobs and make the income. You will almost always be an hour + from the ocean but I'm telling you, people don't spend much time at the ocean unless that is where they work/play (as in scuba, boating, or surfing). If you don't currently do those thing the ocean/beach will be your occasional day trip when you have the time and the weather is nice. Do not let the coast rule your decisions. Of course, that may make CA less desirable in your mind but remember, that is how the majority of the people here live. I haven't seen the ocean in at least 9 years, just the Bay as I'm driving over bridges. It's not a priority for most people. If you absolutely need water consider a state with lakes.
Living out here 35 years went to the beach to have fun maybe 10 times. Now we make our home in the IE, but we go to city often to visit relatives. But the beach for us is just to take family visiting from back east. But that is the beauty of So/Cal “From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California," was a local newsman opening. But really It’s what makes Southern California so alluring and special there is always something to do. Come on out you will love it and stay or hated it and go back, but your still young to try.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longslim View Post
Living out here 35 years went to the beach to have fun maybe 10 times. Now we make our home in the IE, but we go to city often to visit relatives. But the beach for us is just to take family visiting from back east. But that is the beauty of So/Cal “From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California," was a local newsman opening. But really It’s what makes Southern California so alluring and special there is always something to do. Come on out you will love it and stay or hated it and go back, but your still young to try.
Thank you for some positivity! And yeah, it can't hurt to try especially since I have so much time ahead of me.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That's definitley something that I'm realizing now. I can deal with well over an hour drive to the water, I'd rather not be scraping by to live by the water since you are completely right, after a while I'd probably only go visit the beach one every other month or so.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:35 PM

82 posts, read 178,706 times
I see a lot of comments about the cost of living, how super high it is, and how u have to make about 150k a year just to breathe. But let me ask this....if it is that difficult to make it out in cali, how is everyone there doing it? I mean, does everybody earn over 150k? There has to be a middle class.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:59 AM

65 posts, read 81,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1985 View Post
I see a lot of comments about the cost of living, how super high it is, and how u have to make about 150k a year just to breathe. But let me ask this....if it is that difficult to make it out in cali, how is everyone there doing it? I mean, does everybody earn over 150k? There has to be a middle class.
Seriously I wonder if $150k two earners isn't lower middle class out here. There is money out here, couples making good money, but then spend it on housing and transportation to live in good areas. Now the one's with really good income live in the hills or by the ocean, Orange, or North San Diego County. I find however lots of these people live in really nice area because there homes have appreciated over time. They purchase these homes 20/30 years ago and couldn't afford to buy the house they live in today. Quick anecdote my in laws purchase a 1260sq ft tract home in 1965 for $22.5k sold it in the boom years for $750k it's all about location out here.

Last edited by longslim; 11-23-2013 at 01:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California