Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:56 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Traffic is hardly ever an issue for me.
But you also said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
No place in the world compares.
So wouldn't that mean that traffic is incomparably bad for you? Or did you mean that just the good stuff is without comparison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 05:01 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Because it's NOT the Bible Belt.
Thank God...or something like that

Old 11-20-2013, 05:16 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
But you also said:

So wouldn't that mean that traffic is incomparably bad for you? Or did you mean that just the good stuff is without comparison?
Precisely. I'm going based off my experience and all of the positives the city does for me. No other place can do it better.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Weather is number 1. The laws - I like that CA watches out for the little guy in most laws, like tenant laws.

Have lived other places I liked, where I liked the people, and the laws - like the PNW - but the weather brought me back to CA.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I'm still here and loving it because:

1. The weather is fantastic.
2. My family is here (most of it, anyway; my father moved to Florida twenty years ago).
3. Whatever you want to find, you can find it here (especially in L.A.).
4. California has some of the the most beautiful natural scenery in the world.
5. Other states have some of the same problems (traffic, sprawl, overcrowding, etc.), but without the nice weather to balance things out.
6. Misfits can fit in here. (Again, this is more specifically big cities in California.)
7. Live and let live attitudes.
8. Gay marriage is legal.
9. Pro-worker laws, i.e. that vacation time is wages, so you can't "use it or lose it" here.
10. Diversity, both in landscape and in people!

I'm sure there's more, but this is enough.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:24 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
The food and the weather. Also that the people have a very friendly live and let live attitude without trying to force their personal beliefs onto other people.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:52 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Even the traffic?
I love the fact that we have no traffic!

What I love about CA:

I love the snow and fall color
Clean air
Lack of crime-I usually don't lock my car
No gangs
The skiing
Being able to walk or ride my mtn bike in the forest from my back door
Wide open spaces
friendly people

And the nearest mall is 60 miles away!

Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Prop 13.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:28 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
I, for one, have lived what I refer to as, "The Hotel California Experience." I've tried to check out many times . . . but have never been able to leave.

I started paying attention to that song when I arrived in 1979. My plan was to stay in California a scant few years before migrating back to the east coast. I recall how the lyrics of that song - "You can checkout any time you like, but you may never leave" - would haunt my thinking. Each time I heard those words I'd say to myself, "I hope that doesn't happen to me."

Next month will be 34 years since my arrival. Try as I did - as many a times as I did - I was not able to leave California. The curse (or blessing) of Hotel California gripped me, and has not let go.

Am I a better person or better off as a result? Maybe not. Maybe so.

Regardless, I am thankful for being here, for living here, for the friends I've made, the family I raised; for those who wrongfully or rightfully have given me reason to pause, contemplate and become deeply introspective. For those whose actions (or lack thereof) have forced me corner and question my own beliefs. For those who've proven that Loyal Faithful Friends are closer than blood-family and are severely few in numbers.

Thank you California. I love it here!

Old 11-22-2013, 11:58 AM

162 posts, read 212,929 times
I love...........

I live in so cal

Being able to have Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner outside most years!
Carne Fries
The selection and taste of all the Mexican Restaurants and taco trucks all around
The diversity
The ocean
Living in the SW and being able to drive to Las Vegas & Phoenix
The all year nice weather!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California