Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California: Which is your favorite border state?
Oregon 29 52.73%
Nevada 14 25.45%
Arizona 8 14.55%
Baja California 4 7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 03:03 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times

Advertisements

Baja California, the peninsula, is two states, only one of which is our neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 04:00 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Nevada. Wide open spaces, rugged mountains, few people. I've never been to Vegas and have no plans to change that.

Western Oregon is too damp and has too many alpha hotel former Californians.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:36 AM

106 posts, read 246,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Baja California, the peninsula, is two states, only one of which is our neighbor.
Hence why I did not have Baja California Sur on the list

Old 12-08-2013, 01:41 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Arizona
Nevada

-

-

Oregon

-

-

-

Baja California

Old 12-08-2013, 08:28 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
This was a bit tough. There are things I like about all of the states. I lived in Mexico for a year 1999-2000, and though I love Mexico, I wouldn't want to live there again. I'm even done visiting there. So, Baja is off my list altogether.

I prefer the coast and forests to desert, so I picked Oregon. And I don't like really hot weather - though it will be brutal here in Redding in the summers. But, I'd rather look at a mountain while I sweat, than the desert.

Of all, though, I'm happiest in California. But, as far as neighboring states/Baja, if I had to move out of state, it would be Oregon - as far south as possible :-)

Old 12-08-2013, 11:55 AM

726 posts, read 1,367,025 times
It is interesting to me that some maps of the "State of Jefferson" include parts of both California and Oregon... however, even the most northern areas of California and Oregon have some distinctive cultural differences to me, although superficially they also have similarities. There's a series on the History Channel called, "How the States Got Their Shapes" that is quite intriguing and makes the point that borders do change a lot (they are still changing) and they could have been very different if certain, sometimes arbitrary, factors didn't all come together in a certain way.... I also love the corny part when they have people try to draw a state from memory... hilarious!

Old 12-08-2013, 02:49 PM

106 posts, read 246,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I prefer the coast and forests to desert, so I picked Oregon. And I don't like really hot weather - though it will be brutal here in Redding in the summers. But, I'd rather look at a mountain while I sweat, than the desert.

Of all, though, I'm happiest in California. But, as far as neighboring states/Baja, if I had to move out of state, it would be Oregon - as far south as possible :-)
After living in Arizona for 3 months (SoCal Native), I have actually discovered that most of the land is, in fact, not at all desert (even though the most populated parts are). If you go an hour an a half north of Phoenix, the cacti are replaced by lush green forests, red rock formations, and Ponderosa Pine trees, and all of this is deep in the mountains at elevations of 4000ft+. I've only been to Las Vegas, but I assume that Nevada has a similar structure.

However, the beautiful thing about Oregon is that it has the mountains, pine trees, AND the coast, and I took a train to Portland, so I got to see all of that. Baja also has a cool coast (Visited Tijuana and Ensenada) but Baja California is one of the poorer areas of Mexico, so it's a little uncomfortable being there.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:33 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Well, I've only been to one of them and I still don't like them both!

Old 12-08-2013, 03:56 PM

312 posts, read 494,214 times
Oregon by far. If it only had more sunlight it would rival California in livability.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 AM

643 posts, read 917,705 times
I had some fun times in TJ and Rosarito as an 18-19 year old, but I dont know if I want to go back now. But honestly, I like all the places on the list. Oregon is beautiful and strange. Portland is one of my favorite cities I've visited. Nevada is a beautiful desert and Vegas is my go to weekend trip. Arizona also has beautiful areas and really captures that Southwest atmosphere. That being said, the cities in Arizona are kinda lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California