Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:13 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You have taken quite nicely to SoCal.

But, I got my Deer this year

You know what really cracks me up? Threads like this where people think they have some kind of control over the weather. LMAO

When we have a drought..........I DEAL WITH IT I just prefer my rain at night during the week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 10:21 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Of course.

And meanwhile, you ridicule folks in....Seattle for example. Bragging about our sunshine.

Let's hope that folks like you actually do get your wish and we get no rain. December is usually the wettest month and we are halfway through it. If it's dry the through New Years, odds are we will indeed have a dry rest of the winter.

Then next summer and fall, let's see who gets the last laugh when the folks in Seattle are calling and asking about how much sunshine you are enjoying NOW when it's A) obscured by smoke and B) your lawn is dead because the sprinklers have been ordered shut off.

Like I said. Be careful of what you wish for. You just might get it.

Oh wait. This is California. What was I thinking? Remember. It's not supposed to rain. Then when half the state is being incinerated, we are begging for rain. As long as it only comes between 9PM and 4AM.

No wonder the rest of the world thinks we're idiots. That's because collectively, when it comes to stuff like this, we ARE.
Sunshine is nothing to brag about IMO. I'd take a rainy day over being around californians ANYDAY!

And no..... The whole UNIVERSE thinks californians are dumb

Old 12-15-2013, 12:58 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

You know what really cracks me up? Threads like this where people think they have some kind of control over the weather. LMAO

When we have a drought..........I DEAL WITH IT I just prefer my rain at night during the week
Actually, saying something like when you prefer your rain sounds more like you think you have control over the weather. Just saying.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:01 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Says the man from the city of indistinguishable seasons that lives on imported water.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:59 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
"Unhealthy for sensitive groups" air quality today! Gotta love those fireplaces/woodstoves and stagnant air for weeks on end.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:47 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,598 times
Here in Humboldt County we're around 16% of our normal rainfall levels. It's extremely worrying to literally everyone I've talked to here about it, and things aren't forecast to get any better this winter. I want my 40" of average rainfall and so does everyone else, and no, we don't just want it from 9 PM to 4 AM only on weekdays.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post

How do you think the state will cope if we have another drought year? I know last summer was pretty rife with wild fires, but farmers weren't too bad off in their water allotments. This summer its predicted they'll only get 5% of what they ask for. That is definitely going to affect bottom lines and probably a lot of land will have to lay fallow. Personally, I'm just tired of this cold, dry, smoky air that we have right now. Wintertime inversions and the resulting dirty air really bothers me. Anyway, here's some wishful thinking.
Unfortunately, I think that this is going to be more of the norm in the years/decades ahead. I can't recall where I read this, but some global warming expert wrote that while SoCal can now officially be considered "desert", the same will be true for the Bay Area in 40-50 years, as rain paths move northward. It is a real shame, since the redwoods and green hillsides were things I cherished most about the Bay Area.

To be honest with you, if I wanted the desert, I'd move to Arizona, where at least you have the cactus and cool summer thunderstorms to go with it.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:47 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
What really matters is how much water is being stored in northern California. Shasta Dam is down 1/3 from its November 2012 levels. However, there have been years when the storage level in November has been at least 20% less than even this amount. Plus, rainfall in the far north can be just as erratic as it is down here. There may be 3 inches February followed by 19 inches in March. There are still 3 1/2 months of the rainy season to go, so no need to panic just yet. There could be a 10 inch month headed towards the Sacramento watershed and it will be just another case of "what?!? Me worry?"

Shasta Dam - ShastaLake.com

Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Unfortunately, I think that this is going to be more of the norm in the years/decades ahead. I can't recall where I read this, but some global warming expert wrote that while SoCal can now officially be considered "desert", the same will be true for the Bay Area in 40-50 years, as rain paths move northward. It is a real shame, since the redwoods and green hillsides were things I cherished most about the Bay Area.

To be honest with you, if I wanted the desert, I'd move to Arizona, where at least you have the cactus and cool summer thunderstorms to go with it.
I agree with this. The Bay Area already doesn't look like it did 20 years ago, it's much drier overall. The forest have thinned out and many places that held water year round, small places, now are dry until rain comes. Winters are drier overall. Even in the Pacific Northwest, it often feels more like Northern California used to a couple of decades ago.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:43 PM

364 posts, read 611,212 times
So what? Weather happens in cycles. Won't be long before you'll be complaining about too much rain. And days that are too cold. Then you can jump on board with the newest "crisis".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California