Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:32 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times

Advertisements

California has chased hundreds if thousands of very well paying jobs out of the state over the past few decades, starting with various automakers and especially the foreign automakers who've dominated the sales charts out here for over 25 years, who pay very well as an industry.

That's what happens when environmentalists and civil service unions call the shots, and that's also been the case for over 35 years.

Foreign automakers would undoubtedly love to manufacture tons of cars out here; there's no doubt about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 06:29 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky24 View Post
Another middle-class family thinking strongly of leaving CA where I was born and raised.
Is it because of the economy, the cost of living, the culture, or all of the above?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:46 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post
we're only interested in pensioners, the affluent, skilled workers, etc.

send your rejects back to where they came from.
No problem here. Start with anyone you like. Take em all. The more affluent and skilled the more mindless and wasteful is my observation.

So my question remains - how many pensioners, affluent, and skilled workers from California can Florida handle and how soon can we send them to you to use up your state water and power and land and highways? We've got tens of millions to spare. Florida sounds like just the right place for them to thrive.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,821,998 times
Quote:
who would fund your delusional, collectivist programs though?
LOL - another poster trying to justify their decision to live in FL by bashing another state. I never said CA is perfect but I find it the best place to be.
I wouldn't live in Miami if gifted a 20 sq. ft. mansion but I'm not going to bash those who chose to do so.
To each their own!

Old 03-29-2014, 11:17 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Quote:
wtf are you talking about? the everglades, florida keys, the entire coastline, pristine beaches, the huge assortment of wildlife, the spectacular flora/fauna, lush vegitation, etc., florida is home to some of the most gorgeous natural beauty in the world.

california has a coastline and polluted beaches. aside from big sur, nothing special. socal is a gigantic desert without a drop of water or natural beauty.

lmfao @ using hollywood as an argument. you mean the industry that has declined like 50% in the past three years? or are you aruging about the actual district? that's akin to saying "yeah, but we have disneyland!!11ONE" when the average person goes there like once every 25 years. it's a ****ty place to live, regardless.
Quote:
precisely. that's the difference between having one of america's most successful businessmen running a state, versus some communist loser who can't hack it outside government/academia.

good luck with your high speed rail to nowhere, i'm sure it'll get built in 30 years and run billions over budget (just like the new bay bridge), lets see how many ****ups they find in the first year.

i bet people will be flocking to that in droves. i mean why deal with cheap one hour flight that departs from any airport in southern california when you can drive to a train station somewhere, spend the same amount of money and arrive four to six hours later?

we barely have any demand on our tri-rail system from west palm beach to miami (which is actually useful), they almost shut the whole system down a couple years back. high speed rail would have screwed florida.

but it's ok my little cherub, just blame the failures of california on racism, financially conservative people, "sour pusses", etc. start crying because those "evil corporations" relocated a ton of jobs to other states with a substantially higher quality of life and lower cost of doing business.

lmfao!
Florida is a cesspool compared to Southern California--rudeness and incivility abound, mostly uneducated/unprofessional populace, pervasive ghetto/third-world mentality, horribly aggressive drivers, etc. It's a refuge for shady transients and criminals on-the-run/in hiding from the world over, flat as a pancake, and cloudy/rainy every single day of the year.

However, this poster is a typical Florida person--angry/bitter, trash-talker, every other word out of his/her mouth is a swear word, produces a complete sentence once in a blue moon, couldn't apply the rules of grammar/capitalization/punctuation/syntax to save his/her life, etc.

I lived in South Florida for 12 years before moving to California, and people like this poster are the reason why I left. The pervasive angry/ghetto/uneducated/unprofessional mentality was just really too difficult for me to bear any longer, and I needed to escape. To this day, leaving Florida has been one of the best decisions I've ever made, and I'm much happier and more content since moving out.

Don't believe any of the hogwash this poster spews about California's economy, how its residents are so depressed, etc.. For those of us that have lived in both California and Florida, we can all attest to the fact that the economy, people quality, and the overall quality of life are much lower in Florida, even though the COL is much higher in California.

Last edited by 8to32characters; 03-29-2014 at 11:42 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 02:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post

Foreign automakers would undoubtedly love to manufacture tons of cars out here; there's no doubt about it.
Why would they do that when they can paper the SE US with assembly plants. VW tried to get the workers in it's plant to form a de facto union and their employees voted against it.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:36 AM

8 posts, read 14,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The middle class tax payers are leaving.

They are being replaced by poor and uneducated people that not only do not pay taxes, but draw state funds away from other needed projects.

So true. As a California native, 3rd generation, this is completely true.
In the past twenty years, the quality of public education and health services has dropped dramatically because of the people who are not paying taxes and using these services FOR FREE. The burden to pay more is put on the rest of us and the quality of education and healthcare has diminished to the point where, in our area, the good doctors can decide whether or not to take you as a patient (drs pick patients). And the class size is no longer 20-1 for the lower grades-it's now almost 30-1😕. The teachers can only do so much. This is why many middle-class tax payers are leaving. They are done with it. The ones who stay are suffering.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:53 AM

8 posts, read 14,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Is it because of the economy, the cost of living, the culture, or all of the above?
Mountain rose -
The three biggest reasons are the decline in the schools, healthcare and economy. We are tired of giving a free ride to the non-tax payers.

If we went over to neighboring countries, would we get free healthcare, free schooling for our children? Food stamps? Would our children get these benefits and more and not even respect the country enough to learn the language and respect the customs of the country? Would our children get instant citizenship even though I was not a citizen of that country? Would my other children be able to attend good quality schools without proof of citizenship?

The USA needs to stand tall and proud and make the right choices about these issues.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky24 View Post
So true. As a California native, 3rd generation, this is completely true.
In the past twenty years, the quality of public education and health services has dropped dramatically because of the people who are not paying taxes and using these services FOR FREE. The burden to pay more is put on the rest of us and the quality of education and healthcare has diminished to the point where, in our area, the good doctors can decide whether or not to take you as a patient (drs pick patients). And the class size is no longer 20-1 for the lower grades-it's now almost 30-1😕. The teachers can only do so much. This is why many middle-class tax payers are leaving. They are done with it. The ones who stay are suffering.
Wowsers. Plenty 'o Blue Sky in that alright.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:09 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
I didn't read all 23 pages but I read a lot. There are so many good posts here. The Democrat party has completely destroyed what once was a really good state. It will never be good again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California