Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 02:06 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,551 times

Advertisements

I was curious about air quality in Eureka/Humboldt. Found this info I thought I'd share because it breaks it down quite nicely:

Air Quality and Pollution Facts for Eureka, CA - Arcata, CA - Fortuna, CA

Looks like Eureka came out pretty well compared to national averages... wanted to ask if anyone has more info on air quality in Humboldt.

I also found this about "chemical trails" and wondered if anyone could give me more info:

Chem trails / air pollution over Eureka Ca 3-17-13 - YouTube

I've lived in places where air quality was a very serious concern. I'm glad Eureka doesn't fall into this category but I would still like to learn more... such as if there are pockets of higher air pollution and/or seasons where it changes. I'm also specifically interested in prevailing wind patterns by season and whether or not the particulates coming out of the power plant on Samoa Peninsula is ever a problem for Eureka, and if so, where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Here's another good resource: http://www.ncuaqmd.org/index.php?page=air.quality

Old 12-30-2013, 09:29 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,598 times
The air here is the cleanest I've ever lived in, so yeah it's fine.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:54 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
It gets smoky in the Fall from the forest fires. Other than that air is not an issue here.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Generally anywhere on the coast that isn't near a large metro area is pretty good. I lived in both Salinas and Monterey and the air quality in those places was great. I'd give almost anything to be back there and out of this nasty Sacramento Valley with its perpetual smoke and inversions.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
The thing about Arcata through Fortuna, is there is almost nothing to cause air pollution, except when they have a forest fire in the area. Small population, not the heavy road traffic as over across the mountains where the Interstate is located. Wind comes in off the ocean, and keeps things clean. The ocean breeze, will keep the power plant smoke disbursed.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The thing about Arcata through Fortuna, is there is almost nothing to cause air pollution, except when they have a forest fire in the area. Small population, not the heavy road traffic as over across the mountains where the Interstate is located. Wind comes in off the ocean, and keeps things clean. The ocean breeze, will keep the power plant smoke disbursed.
I love the smell of a breeze off the Pacific Ocean. Which direction do the prevailing winds blow during each season?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:26 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
"Chem trails" are a description that some people use to describe airplane contrails (you know, the vapor behind airplanes). Not to judge those people's state of mind, but they believe that the US government is commissioning commercial airliners to spray chemicals out the rear ends of planes in order to create global warming and/or to poison their populations. Yes, it doesn't make any sense, so don't worry about that video. Whoever originally posted it is sadly suffering from irrational fears, and my heart goes out to them.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:10 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
What you see in that video, appears to mostly be clouds that are being pushed along and spread out by winds aloft. In clear and clear sky areas of the country, it is not unusual to see this type of thing.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:12 PM

Good to hear... I didn't really understand what the videographer was driving at... thought maybe it was pesticide spray or something?

I have watched clouds literally being pushed by the wind into long fingerlike formations... very cool to watch, especially combined with a sunset :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California